Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Health, Fitness, and Age....

XenoFish

Do some of us go into a natural maintenance mode? I'm asking this because the closer to age 40 I get the more I seem (almost unconsciously motivated) to workout more. Not hardcore but more along the lines of maintaining my health and physical well being into old age. As I want to be active till the day I die. Am I the only one? Are there others here who have done the same? 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Do some of us go into a natural maintenance mode? I'm asking this because the closer to age 40 I get the more I seem (almost unconsciously motivated) to workout more. Not hardcore but more along the lines of maintaining my health and physical well being into old age. As I want to be active till the day I die. Am I the only one? Are there others here who have done the same? 

For men the best years for building muscle mass are the late 30's/early 40's .Your body has the right chemical combination of hormones to build mass so i imagine that theyre propelling you to use them as well. 

Psychologically speaking though I can absolutely sympathize, we're reaching an age where we can look at our peers and truly see the difference between healthy living and other. I do not want to be the other For instance my wife and I quit drinking about 7 years ago and our friends have aged about 15 years in that time when compared to us.  

• Like 4

I have gone into a more healthier eating, and lesser stress promoting mode recently. 

So, it's all good my friend, look after yourself for years to come.

Edited by Hudds
  • Like 3

What sort of working out are you doing?

Nothing too much I hope. As we mature, sometimes it is best not too over do it. 

Good eating habits, mild daily exercise and a sense of humour  will help you to mature gracefully.

• Like 2

Just now, freetoroam said:

Good eating habits, mild daily exercise and a sense of humour  will help you to mature gracefully.

He said hes nearing 40 not 70 ! :lol:

• Like 4

I really think my motivation isn't exactly looking good physically, but feeling good and being functional. I might be a grandpa one day. So I want to be able to spend quality time with them. 

1 minute ago, Hudds said:

I have gone into a healthier eating and lesser stress promoting mode recently. 

Same here. I started to find that foods I once enjoyed make me feel sick. Plus I've got minor heart issues.

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Back in 1998 I order the Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension course. (goofy I know) I used it off and on for a few years. Adding to it and taking things from it. Eventually I created my own method of working out. I've found that for the past year, almost two years I've stuck with it on a daily basis. It's not strenuous on the joints and can be done anywhere.

manfrefinal1b.jpg

I'm built a lot like Tom Manfre (guy in the picture) except a bit of pudge in the middle. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Are you saying "nearing 70" is old? Is THAT what your saying?

• Like 6

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I got a picture of him doing heavy weights and downing that energizing stuff, oiling his muscles and wearing one of those little plastic thong things = its not pretty, even at nearly 40,  :D

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

3 minutes ago, -ZZ- said:

TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE FOR TONIGHTS FIGHT:

3549377e7e024da77bbadc0b8d76374e.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, -ZZ- said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqG66oBDmFa898lmK7xpk 

I should just stick to politics where its safe ! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

You know what Farmer, I feel real sorry for you now. Yes sticking to politics is much, much safer! :wacko:

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

this-guy-looks-like-master-roshi-from-dr

If I can look like master roshi when I'm 70 I'll be doing alright.:lol:

• Like 5

Just now, XenoFish said:

The beard is aging, they do not go with the pecks.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Start stocking up on roids now then... ;)

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I really think my motivation isn't exactly looking good physically, but feeling good and being functional. I might be a grandpa one day. So I want to be able to spend quality time with them. 

Same here. I started to find that foods I once enjoyed make me feel sick. Plus I've got minor heart issues.

Back in 1998 I order the Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension course. (goofy I know) I used it off and on for a few years. Adding to it and taking things from it. Eventually I created my own method of working out. I've found that for the past year, almost two years I've stuck with it on a daily basis. It's not strenuous on the joints and can be done anywhere.

manfrefinal1b.jpg

I'm built a lot like Tom Manfre (guy in the picture) except a bit of pudge in the middle. 

That was a gaffe on xeno's part...He mentioned Charles Atlas in the 90's,he meant 1890's :lol: jk xeno some things are timeless :tu:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

That was a gaffe on xeno's part...He mentioned Charles Atlas in the 90's,he meant 1890's :lol: jk xeno some things are timeless :tu:

I think the course is underrated when you apply current fitness knowledge to it. The self-resistance exercises are isokinetic in nature. So there is less risk of injury as you supply the tension. 3x10 3 times a week, seems to work for me. I combined the Atlas course with Maxalding muscle control. Which is a series of isometric muscle contractions. Then refined it to my liking. Seems to work for me, I guess that's what counts. I'm no longer in any mood to satisfy someone else's expectations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It's all good, I got over younger people with less life experience and good judgment making fun of my age a long time ago. :tsu:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think the course is underrated when you apply current fitness knowledge to it. The self-resistance exercises are isokinetic in nature. So there is less risk of injury as you supply the tension. 3x10 3 times a week, seems to work for me. I combined the Atlas course with Maxalding muscle control. Which is a series of isometric muscle contractions. Then refined it to my liking. Seems to work for me, I guess that's what counts. I'm no longer in any mood to satisfy someone else's expectations.

I hear ya man,there truly isn't a one size fits all method anyway...

Even if your goal was to get huge and ripped differences in genetics and body types make the journey different from one person to the other.

• Like 3

Just now, CrimsonKing said:

Even if your goal was to get huge and ripped differences in genetics and body types make the journey different from one person to the other.

I'm an ectomorph so my genetics says "Screw you fool.":lol:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm an ectomorph so my genetics says "Screw you fool.":lol:

I lucked out as a meso,but that comes with it's problems aswell lol

I can put fat on just as easily and quickly as i add muscle,and light beer is just not acceptable to my palate :lol:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, as I'm not keen on some foods I used to enjoy too. You definitely have to take extra care of yourself, especially since you have minor heart issues.

32 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You reminded me more like Arnold Shwarzenegger (The Terminator), especially because each post of yours has an invisible slogan... I Be Back! :D

• Like 2

When I tried to be a bodybuilder I want to be developed like Steve Reeves. I felt that his physiques was more balanced than the gorilla-esque appearance of modern bodybuilders. I wanted to look good. I can develop some cobra looking lats but forget arm development. My upper arm is currently 16 inches in diameter. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'm out of touch when it come to acceptable physical development standards.

• Like 2

I've found that as I've gotten older I have gravitated toward eating better and exercising more.  I can't do anything about aging, it's going to happen anyway but I do all I can to have a healthy mind and body. I want to be around to harass my grandchildren one of these days.  I have seen what drinking/smoking/drugs have done to friends my age and it's horrific.  They look 10-15 yrs older than they really are.  

• Like 2

My father is my example. The man worked hard his whole life and is physically a wreck. His hips, back, etc are basically destroyed. I don't want to be like him. I'm still working with him (family business) because I feel it's the right thing to do. We get along well so there's no real issues. 

My own issues are a lower back, left wrist, left knee, neck injury, along with my current feet issue. So I'm beat up in my own right. So I'm looking to either curb it for halt it for a time. Maybe if I'm lucky reverse some of the damage. Oh well. I could complain or do something about it. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2