Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do You Think Astrology Works?

JKS Astrology

What Is Your Opinion On Astrology?

Hello Everyone.

My name is Jamie Slack.  I am new to this forum (joined today)

I have been interested in astrology for many years.  I wanted to know people's general opinion of astrology, positive or negative.  

Although I have a passion for the mystical sides of life such as astrology, I also have an engineering background and a keen interest in science.  Despite my scientific background, I still appreciate astrology.  I even wrote an article on *snip*   

I believe people are fed too much inaccurate information related to astrology.  I especially dislike readings in the newspaper, they talk a lot of rubbish.  These readings in particular give astrology a bad name.

Most people are unaware there is more to astrology.  People need to see astrology as a forecasting tool, just like the weather.  Both rely on observations, patterns and cycles.

You have heard my opinion on astrology.  Please share your thoughts about astrology, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
Removed commercial link
  • Like 2

Jamie, you tell us if it "works" ! Are you familiar with Jung's writings on the subject ?

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Jamie, you tell us if it "works" ! Are you familiar with Jung's writings on the subject ?

Hello.  What do you mean you tell us if it "works"?

No I am not familiar with Jung's writings on the subject.  What is your opinion of astrology?

3 minutes ago, Jamie Slack said:

Hello.  What do you mean you tell us if it "works"?

No I am not familiar with Jung's writings on the subject.  What is your opinion of astrology?

I have only glossed over Jung's musings on the subject, but he was a titan, and well worth your time to investigate. Like you said, the newspaper daily "stars" is safe to dismiss as fluff, beyond that I have little knowledge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

I have only glossed over Jung's musings on the subject, but he was a titan, and well worth your time to investigate. Like you said, the newspaper daily "stars" is safe to dismiss as fluff, beyond that I have little knowledge.

Ok thank you.  I will have a look.  

Hi Jamie, welcome to UM :st

I have been interested in Astrology for about 50yrs, though not so much in recent years. Although I largely agree with you about newspaper astrologers, there have been exceptions to the rule. I can't stay at the moment ...... will get back to you in more detail later :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Hi Jamie, welcome to UM :st

I have been interested in Astrology for about 50yrs, though not so much in recent years. Although I largely agree with you about newspaper astrologers, there have been exceptions to the rule. I can't stay at the moment ...... will get back to you in more detail later :)

Ok.  Thanks.  I will look forward to your response.  

• Like 2

Hello,

Thank you Clair and Toast for your opinions.

Clair:  Yes you are right, there is no scientific evidence.  I also agree that the planets themselves have no direct impact on us.  I like science very much, and know even Mars is too far away to influence the Earth or people within.  However, I do believe we are in sync with the Sun, moon and planets.   

Here is a question to both of you.  What would happen if we removed one planet from our solar system, for example the planet Mars.  I would guess this would disrupt the order of our solar system.  Everything in the solar system would be forced to change.  This is a good example that everything in our solar system is connected in-directly.  Our Earth is part of the system, so we must also be connected in some way.

When you think about it, Life on Earth is the result of changes outside of Earth.  

Yes I have a website, and yes a do charge.  I used to do readings for free.  However, I wanted to do readings for people around the world too, and this needs a website.  Websites cost lots of money hence the charge.  And £4.99 for a reading is pretty reasonable.  Astrology websites are usually classed as entertainment websites.  And just like any other entertainer, they charge money.

I also offer people a lot of **SNIP** too, and information on how to learn astrology.

I am not on this forum to make money though.  I am here for the same reason you are, because you are interested in unexplained mysteries.

1a. Advertising: Do not use the forum to advertise a product, site or service.

Edited by aquatus1

Astrology,,,,How can anyone forecast a future event by looking at a load of rocks hurtling through space. Its a load of nonsence and people charge money for the predictions which I.M.O.is robbery and is akin to so called "mediums" speaking to people who have passed on , Anyone doing this should be ashamed for robbing gullible people,If that includes you buddy I have no wish to communicate with you on this website so don't bother replying .

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jamie Slack said:

What would happen if we removed one planet from our solar system, for example the planet Mars.  I would guess this would disrupt the order of our solar system.  Everything in the solar system would be forced to change.  This is a good example that everything in our solar system is connected in-directly.

Here you are again and are mixing up physical facts with a whacky hypothesis to the benefit of your claims. Of course, the bodies within the solar system are gravitationally connected and these gravitational effects do influence our planet also, in a mechanical way. A change in that model by privation of one of the bodies would cause momentous and maybe for us fatal consequences. Also the constellations of all 8 planets influence the Earth and its orbit around the Sun. But how exactly can you back your claim that these effects can have influence to an individuals life, respectively, its fate&future? And how exactly would the planets constellation pattern lead to a "wedding horoscope" accuracy?

Our Earth is part of the system, so we must also be connected in some way. When you think about it, Life on Earth is the result of changes outside of Earth.  

See above ("wedding horoscope")

Websites cost lots of money hence the charge.

Lots of money? In your case, <200USD/year.

Astrology websites are usually classed as entertainment websites.  And just like any other entertainer, they charge money.

So you are here to entertain and to get paid for?

I am here for the same reason you are, because you are interested in unexplained mysteries.

No, you dont know the reason for I`m here. I`m intesteded in this board not because of unexplained mysteries as there are no unexplained mysteries for me at all. So we are here for different reasons.

• Like 2

Ok thanks for the feedback everyone, I respect your opinions.  

As I am new to this forum.  I want to prove I am not the money grabbing type you perceive me to be.

I would therefore be willing to provide the users 'toast', 'spud the mackem' and 'Claire' with a free reading.  If your interested please inbox me.  It will be an in-depth personality reading based on your date of birth, location of birth and time of birth.

Kind Regards,

Jamie Slack   

10 hours ago, Jamie Slack said:

Ok.  Thanks.  I will look forward to your response.  

Hello again.

When I first became interested in astrology as a young teen, it was of course, just an interest in the Sun signs. It was exciting to be told that I had this characteristic or that strength, and I would probably become an artist, nurse etc. etc. and this sign would be easiest for me to get on with .... it was just fun. But then my sister bought 'The Compleat Astrologer' by Derek & Julia Parker and I began to look more deeply into it.

Eventually I bought 'Teach Yourself Astrology' by Jeff Mayo and constructed my own chart. Including 'projections', I have probably only attempted to do about 6 charts because I don't seem to have the knack of interpreting them and found them too time-consuming to bother learning. I haven't got the brain for retaining that amount of knowledge, but I have found the Sun signs very useful in helping me to understand people, how to interact with them and how to be more tolerant of their not-so-desirable traits. The book 'Love Signs' by Linda Goodman is especially insightful with regard to this. She has a very special gift.

As had Patric(formerly 'Patrick' early on in his career), Walker who died in 1995. He was the 'newspaper' astrologer who was the exception to the rule, a truly exceptional man. I think, perhaps, he had a gift above and beyond simply being good at interpreting the movements of the planets and their effect on us. His predictions were made weekly and were quite long. I found his advice to be incredibly helpful and wise.

If I'm honest, I don't think interpreting charts for 'the man in the street' is very useful as not enough detail is given. Yes, it's interesting up to a point, but that's all. In a sense, I think that deciphering charts is really only for the world leaders and those with power because they are the ones who have the biggest influence on the population. Jamie, have you done charts for Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump?! I once saw the chart of the Captain of the Titanic for the time of sailing. According to the chart he should never have been allowed on a park boating lake, never mind being in charge of such a huge boat with so many passengers. :cry:

Although 'science' may tell us(at the moment), that it is impossible for the planets to have any impact on our daily lives, I believe astrology is one of those things, like Homeopathy, that millions of people know has an effect but they just don't know how. I think the answer will prove to be that the influence passes along the invisible 'threads' that make up the 'fabric' of the Universe. :)

I still occasionally refer to the three books I've mentioned above.

I've started at least one topic here at UM about astrology. I'll try to find the links to it/them. Here's one:

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

Wow ouija, what a detailed response.

Sounds like you have done a fair bit of studying. Yes there is a wide range of books to learn astrology from, I have read many. However, I learn most by observing hundreds of charts. Most importantly I observe people.

I got into astrology at the age of 16. During that time I decided to read about all sorts of unexplained topics such as tarot, numerology, psychics, mediums, etc. Astrology is something I have stuck with.

I also love astronomy, engineering and science. This may suprize some people, as they contradict each other. 

I like to look at both sides of the coin. I am open to science and things that science cannot explain. 

I believe everyone can benefit from astrology. I am more into personality analysis then forecast type readings. If I am able to emotionally or mentally help someone, then I would be happy with that.

• Like 2

Whatever I know about astrology is from the newspapers and they are pretty much crab. And so far I have not seen any detailed, spot on astrology readings. Thus, I am think it is really ancient nonsense created for fun.

I suppose studying the stars would be less nausea inducing than studying duck's entrails.

• Like 2

Richard Dawkins did an interesting experiment with Astrology. He took random people of the street and took that days Capricorn Astrology from the local source - he then removed the title "Capricorn" and gave the information to every sign in the Zodiac.

The only Capricorn to participate said it did not relate to her life in any way. Yet many people of other zodiac signs who were told it was "their" sign, agreed that it did connect to the current state of their lives.  

So, Capricorn suited every sign, but Capricorn! 

My sister used to write horoscopes in a local newspaper, she used to use it to prompt family and friends, like her boyfriend at the time would often get the advice of "One who is close to you should be spoiled, make a special effort to get away this weekend with the special person in your life" or if she wanted me to call her, she would leave a message like "Family members are thinking of you, call them". 

I follow the evidence, the evidence does not support Astrology.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Jamie Slack said:

Most people are unaware there is more to astrology.  People need to see astrology as a forecasting tool, just like the weather.  Both rely on observations, patterns and cycles.

As I always say to anyone who brings up astrology; don't tell me that it works, tell me how it works.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Jamie Slack said:

Yes I have a website, and yes a do charge. 

You couldn't have proven Toast more right if you'd tried.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

You couldn't have proven Toast more right if you'd tried.

Hello Emma, If you bothered to read the other posts.  I did offer 'toast' and others a free reading.  

But just as I expected they declined.  

Just for the record, I have never said that astrology is perfect, and works 100%.  This is why I class it as a forecasting tool, or the probability that something could happen.

No one knows the future 100%.  But I do think we are able to know the likelihood of an event happening.

It seems like many people on this forum are very scientifically minded.  Good, I like that.

Here is a question to everyone:

Do you think crime can be predicted before it happens?

As computers become more advanced, we are able to collect more data.  It seems like we are approaching a big data revolution.   

Read the article below to get an idea of what I mean.  By collecting huge amounts of data, special software could 'in theory' forecast crime.  

https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/future-of-policing-predicting-a-criminal-activity-before-it-happens.html

I believe astrology works in the same way.  Data of people's personality have been collected over a long time, in relation to the position of planets in the sky.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jamie Slack said:

I did offer 'toast' and others a free reading.  But just as I expected they declined. 

Why should I, well prepared in astronomy and related fields, be interested in a fairy tale called "free reading", thats based on an individuals interpretation of the constellations of celestial bodies within our solar system combined with my DOB?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

As I always say to anyone who brings up astrology; don't tell me that it works, tell me how it works.

I'm always puzzled when people say this, as if anything we don't understand at this precise moment in time  is a lie! As if we know everything it is possible to know, NOW. How sad to have such a closed mind.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, toast said:

Why should I, well prepared in astronomy and related fields, be interested in a fairy tale called "free reading", thats based on an individuals interpretation of the constellations of celestial bodies within our solar system combined with my DOB?

You are interested enough to go out your way and comment on the post that I created.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, toast said:

But aren't you even curious? It's costing you nothing apart from a few seconds of your time. Wouldn't it be interesting if he came up with stuff that really was about you, stuff that was useful to you?  

• Like 2