Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

accepting refugees

Just_Seeking

22 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Mr. Brennan's budget depends on inflating the threat, which he is right to do so. Better to err on the side of caution when national security is your job.

The refugees Canada admitted are family units that have spent up to five years in refugee camps. Does anyone think that an ISIS terrorist will spend years in a refugee camp with their family, go through the vetting process (and yes, they are vetted), transfer to another country, wait a few years before planting a bomb or grabbing a gun?

Homegrown terrorism is a bigger concern, which is why private sponsorships work better. The family isn't left high and dry after they get here. The amount of care and concern the sponsors show is truly admirable.

I also think that too many people confuse real refugees with economic migrants.

22 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Mr. Brennan's budget depends on inflating the threat, which he is right to do so. Better to err on the side of caution when national security is your job.

The refugees Canada admitted are family units that have spent up to five years in refugee camps. Does anyone think that an ISIS terrorist will spend years in a refugee camp with their family, go through the vetting process (and yes, they are vetted), transfer to another country, wait a few years before planting a bomb or grabbing a gun?

Homegrown terrorism is a bigger concern, which is why private sponsorships work better. The family isn't left high and dry after they get here. The amount of care and concern the sponsors show is truly admirable.

I also think that too many people confuse real refugees with economic migrants.

It also could be that you cavalierly dismiss Brennan's warning because it doesn't fit or match your views on the subject. He merely tells the truth about the situation rather than hide said truth if it doesn't fit the current PC philosophy in which facts, that don't support current PC philosophy, are denied. Yes, it is better to err on the side of caution. It's a shame that some inept European leaders don't grasp that bit of common sense!

It sounds like the Canadians have a safe and sound system, so it's likely that it will succeed. I can't comment about it because I don't know much about it, but other countries don't share your success. Their situations show why our leaders must err on the side of caution. It would be treasonous to not do so.

Our domestic terrorists tend to have philosophical or tangible connections to overseas groups. They sometimes receive support from those groups in varied forms. Some of them are new citizens with old ties to extremist ideologies, not descendants of the Mayflower passengers. That's the situation in most cases since 9/11.

I would be fine with allowing Syrian refugees here if things were different. Our system has a mandate to adapt and adjust to changing circumstances that affect the safety and security of Americans. Besides that, it's past time for closer countries to accept more people. It's as if Japanese citizens were forced to take in Jamaican refugees with possible links to terrorist groups while the West banned them.

21 hours ago, psyche101 said:

For sure, but I think that point escapes too many of the bleeding hearts. We all do take in refugees, that is not the issue. It is not bigotry to expect new arrivals to play by the rules. Illegal immigrants are not being hurt by those of us seeking verifications, they are being hurt by the people who instigate these illegal entries and those who feel the law does not apply to them. That sort of behaviour is not tolerated in any society, why should refugees be exempt? As you say, they should not be. There is a legal and acceptable way for refugees to apply for residency.

But, I also see another solution that seems to have worked well in history. Why are people insist that overcrowded places are responsible for refugees when we have open lands begging? This is where I think we go wrong, compounding certain ideals as opposed to trying new ones. 

Your idea sounds better by the day. It's almost like establishing a new homeland for a new diaspora. They could create and maintain a new society based on their own ways of life. It should not be discounted. It might be a good option if they can't or won't return to their home countries if and when things improve. Host countries wouldn't have to deal with the problems that come with groups that refuse to follow the rules of the countries that accept them. They could get assistance when they start. Stranger things have worked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Your idea sounds better by the day. It's almost like establishing a new homeland for a new diaspora. They could create and maintain a new society based on their own ways of life. It should not be discounted. It might be a good option if they can't or won't return to their home countries if and when things improve. Host countries wouldn't have to deal with the problems that come with groups that refuse to follow the rules of the countries that accept them. They could get assistance when they start. Stranger things have worked.

And, all that money we spend on security and protection could have some redirected to instigating infrastructure, which where the "teach a man to fish" bit comes in. That could create more jobs for Teachers and Instructors in the West. Upskill the entire nation.

I'll have to have a chat with this Trump fellow, see what he reckons ..... ;) I reckon I got a win win going on here. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

And, all that money we spend on security and protection could have some redirected to instigating infrastructure, which where the "teach a man to fish" bit comes in. That could create more jobs for Teachers and Instructors in the West. Upskill the entire nation.

I'll have to have a chat with this Trump fellow, see what he reckons ..... ;) I reckon I got a win win going on here. 

Where would you, when you become "king of the world", establish this new homeland exactly?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Where would you, when you become "king of the world", establish this new homeland exactly?

Can I consider that my first vote for world leader?

9zsy5b.jpg

It's in the post mate! ;)

The first place that came to my mind was Papua New Guinea, The Solomon Islands are another good bet I would expect, Madagascar? and maybe a large part of South America? Haven't really thought about the last possible, but I think the first two at least would benefit greatly. But I do know many countries are floundering in poverty with resources like tourism going begging. Spent some time in Honiara on a Government mission to upgrade the Australian Consulate and could not believe how beautiful the place was, and how empty it was, and the state of it. It is like another Fiji just sitting there waiting for someone to come along and give it some love. 

I cannot see what objections the UN might have, and refugees can create their own sub cultures as they develop these new lands. Just like the British coming to America or Australia, but with a helping hand for the natives instead of offering disease rape and slaughter. We could all collude on this to lessen the influx and help create new wonderful places where refugees can build a "real" home where their descendants will prosper from their humble beginnings. I would see that as an investment in humanity. It would also be a finite investment for our countries are we could set a goal of something like "5 years of infrastructure funding and help" and then they should be able to stand on their own two feet.

20 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Trump could use your advice. You could advise him to ignore the celebrity gossip so that he can address Clinton's problems.