Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking warns Aliens will colonize earth

seeder

Stephen Hawking warns we should 'be wary' about answering alien signals, and suggests an advanced civilization could attempt to colonize Earth

Stephen Hawking starred in a short 25min film about the Universe
    In the film, travelled 16 light years to Gliese 832c, which could hold life
    Says we should be wary about answering alien signals when they come
    Meeting aliens could be like Native Americans and Christopher Columbus

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3802993/Stephen-Hawking-warns-wary-answering-alien-signals-suggests-advanced-civilization-attempt-colonize-Earth.html#ixzz4L2f6vcuQ

Some argue that an advanced civilization could only survive long-term by becoming a peaceful species. Sharks have survived for millions of years by being ruthless predators. I wonder which scenario leads to longevity of an intelligent race of Aliens.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Some argue that an advanced civilization could only survive long-term by becoming a peaceful species. Sharks have survived for millions of years by being ruthless predators. I wonder which scenario leads to longevity of an intelligent race of Aliens.

Interesting thought, but sharks are only predatory to sate hunger, whereas us "intelligent" predators have much wider appetites.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Few species are all ruthless all of the time.  Humans cooperate with each other to form billion individual societies.     There are even a lot of total jerks that love their dogs and cats.    Barely knowing a single intelligent species there is little data to form generalities about how life will behave if we should meet it.  So far the question simply mirrors our own beliefs.  We are afraid that this time we will be playing the part of the Indians, and in our history we know how Columbus is supposed to act.  Does that come out of scientific data or cultural guilt? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Few species are all ruthless all of the time.  Humans cooperate with each other to form billion individual societies.     There are even a lot of total jerks that love their dogs and cats.    Barely knowing a single intelligent species there is little data to form generalities about how life will behave if we should meet it.  So far the question simply mirrors our own beliefs.  We are afraid that this time we will be playing the part of the Indians, and in our history we know how Columbus is supposed to act.  Does that come out of scientific data or cultural guilt? 

Nope, just common sense evaluation of history. The strong displace the weak, whether hominids or anything else

• Like 2

There are some scary people on Earth, no wonder the aliens have b*****ed off home.

• Like 3

all we have to do to stop them is play music

• Like 4

Barry Manilow ?

• Like 1

Kill them and eat them !  That works , its what slowed down the colonials in parts of the Pacific and New Zealand . Places where the natives were nice to the colonials ?  - Decimated ! 

They dont like ' that up 'em ' .  

Or the Filipino  martial arts ... still today, they boast    "We stopped Magellan ! " 

• Like 1

Pfft, he is totally wrong.

The only reason an interstellar civilization would want to span the ungodly emptiness that lives between suns, a darkness so profound it would rob a man of his very soul, is to come to another planet to probe the anuses of its inhabitants.

• Like 3

Gee they get some mileage out of that line, he said that years ago, this is just yet another rehash.

From the article:

However, if we were to really meet an advanced civilization, Hawking says it could be similar to when the Native Americans first encountered Christopher Columbus – and ‘that didn't turn out so well’.

This was a few years ago, and the media have already made  meal out of their misconception. This line seems to be the gift that keeps giving. He uses the qualifiers "might" and "could be" he never says this is actually likely to happen.

He never said we should be wary, he said it is one possibility out of many that we rarely entertain.

Here is a link to the same story from 2010. 

LINK - Is Stephen Hawking right about aliens?

Well no, according to the eminent physicist Stephen Hawking. "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," Hawking has said in a forthcoming documentary made for the Discovery Channel. 

Journalists are stupid. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4

It could be more horrific than even that. Vast fleets of alien worldships millions even billions of years old drifting from star to star of a mass so large they would be detectable by blocking a percentage of light from a star, mistaken,perhaps for Dyson Spheres, They would plunder each solar system encountered for raw materials to fuel their immense flotillas. Mobile civilization unhinged from any star. To them we might hold no more significance than that of crickets,chirping in the dark.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

Given there is no sign of any rampaging aliens here in the past, I would not be losing any sleep over these ideas.

• Like 3

Maybe if there are signals being sent from another planet out there somewhere, it is being received by other "worlds" well before us. If we are not alone, which I believe we are not, the distance of another planet is so far away, that it is possible they are not even looking our way, but towards other and maybe close planets. 

If there were only us and another planet with intelligent life, then obviously we are the ones they will eventually find and visa versa, but the chances are there is far more than 2 planets sustaining life. 

And signals will be from another world which we have no idea at what stage of universe life they have been there for.

The idea of hostility is based on mans behavior, we have no idea if there are any other humans type aliens, they may be some form of plant life, or other species of animal which we can not imagine because we do not know if they are part of a planet which have evolved over millions of years and are at a completely different time scale to us.  , 

What are the chances of them wanting to colonize Earth when the chances are there are closer planets to them than us which they could colonize first?

• Like 2

The longer these aliens wait to colonize us, the harder it's going to be for them.

Ha! Aliens. He should be more concerned with Artificial Intelligence. The machines are gonna take over way before aliens can get here. Maybe they won't even get here because the machines will have taken them over, too. 

• Like 2

In the mean time, enjoy the end of the world...

It will be televised. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I don't like the title of this thread as it misrepresents what Stephen Hawking is actually saying. He isn't warning that they will, he is essentially telling us that there is a possibility that interactions between us and an ET civilization could be similar to the native Americans and Christopher Columbus interaction.

• Like 5

Imagine all the living things on this planet. There's us but there are also things like ticks and virulent bacteria. The diversity of life in the universe is unknown but probably huge on a scale we couldn't imagine. It's reasonable to be wary. Not holding my breath but if we ever encounter extraterrestrial life come our way.. we can't toy around.

I understand what Hawking is saying and I agree. While the 'alien and ufo' thing I find very interesting but have serious doubts that the outcome would be good for us. IF they exist there is a reason why they are way out in space away from their point of origin. I would think they want or need something they don't or no longer have and that may well be our resources. Energy or food, they can stay at home as far as I'm concerned. Don't go poking at a hornet nest expecting something good to happen.

I have trouble understanding how a species that can voyage from one point in space to another, as if it's a weekend trip. Would need anything from us. Let alone bother to invade.

• Like 5