Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Understanding our world

DebDandelion

Oh now I just had to click on that by [ back to earth ] because [ Debstermania ] mentioned cool or oh INTERESTING LINK ... yep! very very interesting indeed there back to earth, well here's the latest HOT ONE going to the stars pulling in that all mighty green http://www.omniumuniverse.com/

She's all over the place and I'm sure everyone will be hearing of her, have to keep that cash flowing you know.

,,,  488x-1.jpg

• Like 1

IMO, reality doesn't change, only our perception of reality changes. It has a lot to do with our chosen attitude toward life in general. Compare these two quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson and Freya Stark:

'Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world."   Freya Stark

In 1993, I went to Viet Nam with a friend who was returning to visit her family after escaping during the fall of Saigon. Her parents lived in a home among the rice paddies, with a dirt floor in part of the house, no indoor bathroom, no electricity (until her brothers hooked up some wires to the grandmothers house up the hill a ways), no indoor kitchen facilities, and wooden beds without mattresses. I loved it. After returning home, I was telling a friend about what a great adventure I'd had, and his reply was a horrified, "Was it clean?" Obviously, our opinions of 'adventure' were very different.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, simplybill said:

IMO, reality doesn't change, only our perception of reality changes. It has a lot to do with our chosen attitude toward life in general. Compare these two quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson and Freya Stark:

'Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world."   Freya Stark

In 1993, I went to Viet Nam with a friend who was returning to visit her family after escaping during the fall of Saigon. Her parents lived in a home among the rice paddies, with a dirt floor in part of the house, no indoor bathroom, no electricity (until her brothers hooked up some wires to the grandmothers house up the hill a ways), no indoor kitchen facilities, and wooden beds without mattresses. I loved it. After returning home, I was telling a friend about what a great adventure I'd had, and his reply was a horrified, "Was it clean?" Obviously, our opinions of 'adventure' were very different.

I have the same challenge this side.

Holiday for.me . Means tent/caravan and just going tech free. For some.others it means hotel/lodge- living it.up. Free WiFi etc

So my idea of relaxing isn't all to popular with most and I get these looks. But there is.nothing  better than nature and no people around. (family don't.count as people)

Different perceptions...different people.

• Like 1

So, we all consider the world and our place in it differently. Is there a true understanding of our world, or does it just come down to our personal opinions?

We can't leave out our personal environment in all this (our social and physical environment). We react differently depending on the situation we find ourselves in, day to day, even hour to hour. In this sense, we cannot separate ourselves from our environment. It effects us and we effect it. It's a mutual relationship that is always changing.

Is it possible to come to some understanding or our world without our opinions, etc. distorting 'what is'? When I look at my wife, do I see her according to my concept or idea of her based on our experiences, or do I see her unaffected by by our past relationships, as if I were seeing her as a stranger for the first time?

Perhaps understanding requires putting away our personal concepts, and looking as if we see our world as if for the first time, minute by minute. Some clarity of perception.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

So, we all consider the world and our place in it differently. Is there a true understanding of our world, or does it just come down to our personal opinions?

We can't leave out our personal environment in all this (our social and physical environment). We react differently depending on the situation we find ourselves in, day to day, even hour to hour. In this sense, we cannot separate ourselves from our environment. It effects us and we effect it. It's a mutual relationship that is always changing.

Is it possible to come to some understanding or our world without our opinions, etc. distorting 'what is'? When I look at my wife, do I see her according to my concept or idea of her based on our experiences, or do I see her unaffected by by our past relationships, as if I were seeing her as a stranger for the first time?

Perhaps understanding requires putting away our personal concepts, and looking as if we see our world as if for the first time, minute by minute. Some clarity of perception.

Well said. That may conclude my search...

On 9/25/2016 at 10:27 PM, Debstermania said:

Perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly.  The interpretation of the perception is influenced by internal and external factors. Which means my perception of what I experience is different to yours.although we might be experiencing the same event.

So when I try to make sense of what I have experienced it falls within my 'reality' if I work from the basis that we create our.own realities.(Simply put)

Secondly I don't agree that we all perceive with our senses. I do believe some are more inclined to use their emotional/spiritual side to also perceive.

Perhaps so, but remember that your emotions are a neuro-chemical response to your environment and social situation and the nuances of what is being communicated. Introverted perceptions are usually inaccurate as the data of what is going on around you is denied in favor of what your opinion of how the situation should've been and how the people should've played out the scene. It's the difference between pictures and sound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Debstermania said:
4 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Well said. That may conclude my search...

An then like

wel I I won't name him, anyway .... and then they open their mouth, back to reality  wheee.gif

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

Perhaps so, but remember that your emotions are a neuro-chemical response to your environment and social situation and the nuances of what is being communicated. Introverted perceptions are usually inaccurate as the data of what is going on around you is denied in favor of what your opinion of how the situation should've been and how the people should've played out the scene. It's the difference between pictures and sound.

Whether the introverted perception Is faulty or not doesn't make How I perceive it any different. It will (as u put it) still influence ' my reality'.

Agreed that emotional is neuro chemical response.  No argument.  What I am saying is the stimulus to create such response can be different. ( external / internal)

My statement about denial is a generalization about the majority of introverts (who are overwhelmingly women). Individuals such as you might not be so absorbed with your introversions that you deny reality to succor your inner wantonesses and continue to observe and acknowledge reality correctly. You can percieve things as they are and make beneficial decisions without sacrifice but the majority of natural introverts notoriously self destruct and make huge sacrifices to appease those inner longings.

• Like 1