Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fighting extremism with the opposite extreme

eight bits

On 24/10/2016 at 9:24 PM, davros of skaro said:

The irony was well implied.

Here's more before I'm off to fry bigger fish:

Luke 2:14King James Version (KJV)

"14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Luke 2:14New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

"14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace among those whom he favors!”[a]"

fish-aspiration-fossil-2.jpg

A single letter makes a difference! (Luke 2:14)

Is the form of the Greek word for goodwill or favor eudokia or eudokias ?
Did the angels sing a song proclaiming peace with three strophes? (eudokia)
Did they sing:

Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace,
good will toward men. (MKJV)

Or did the song have two strophes? (eudokias)
Or did they sing:

Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests. (NIV)

According to manuscript evidence, the five oldest Greek manuscripts as well as four of the seven ancient translations up to 500 A.D. all support the double blessing. The oldest witness for a triple blessing, is the Diatessaron of Tatian who created one narrative by combining extracts from all four Gospels. It could be that he omitted the “s” by mistake, exerting influence on many later manuscripts, especially in Syria.
Note that four variations are represented in the manuscripts with a triple blessing.

In Luke 12:51-53 Jesus declares: “Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
Why this division? Because everyone confronted with Jesus has to make a decision. ”Peace” is not for all on earth, only for those on “whom his favor rests.” Only those who have accepted the redemption God offered to all.

https://bibledifferences.net/2012/08/10/46-angelic-proclamation/

Not sure which side i fall on in the debate, but it demonstrates the need for a close inspection of the etymology of every word and verse in the bible if one is to understated how it was intended to be understood by its writers

On 10/29/2016 at 7:22 PM, Mr Walker said:

In Luke 12:51-53 Jesus declares: “Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
Why this division? Because everyone confronted with Jesus has to make a decision. ”Peace” is not for all on earth, only for those on “whom his favor rests.” Only those who have accepted the redemption God offered to all.

I've always found this scripture interesting. Atheists use it as one of their points that Jesus was not here for peace. I believe the word "division" here isn't really to mean division, but refers to the next to last line where everyone has to make a decision. A decision to follow Jesus or not to follow.

Jesus came to Save those who could (and would allow themselves to) be saved. That is the division he brought. 

Diechecker,I respect you as a person and accept your position, so don't take offence. If people expressed the same enthusiasm with their religious vigor as they would with giving me a black with three sugar then I would be a happy man. :)

Well 50% of the time anyway.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

On 03/11/2016 at 3:05 PM, DieChecker said:

I've always found this scripture interesting. Atheists use it as one of their points that Jesus was not here for peace. I believe the word "division" here isn't really to mean division, but refers to the next to last line where everyone has to make a decision. A decision to follow Jesus or not to follow.

Jesus came to Save those who could (and would allow themselves to) be saved. That is the division he brought. 

I agree that this was, of course, the writer's intent for those words. Clearly by his existence, and in his teachings, Christ posed a question which would divide  all those who considered it.  He gave fair warning of this. 

• Like 1

Humm.... Looks like Christians in Indonesia maybe in for a rough time going forward.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hard-line-strain-of-islam-gains-ground-in-worlds-largest-muslim-country-1478248172

JAKARTA, Indonesia—The biggest street protest in years shook this sprawling capital on Friday, in a stark display of the more conservative, militant strain of Islam taking hold in the world’s largest Muslim country.

Police estimated that 100,000 people turned out for a rally called by hard-line Muslim groups against the capital’s Christian governor, whom they accuse of having committed blasphemy.

On 11/5/2016 at 1:11 PM, DieChecker said:

Humm.... Looks like Christians in Indonesia maybe in for a rough time going forward.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hard-line-strain-of-islam-gains-ground-in-worlds-largest-muslim-country-1478248172

That'll be excellent news for the new President, she's all for promoting Islamic extremism wherever it can be encouraged. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 2:35 PM, DieChecker said:

That is division though. People who believe Jesus are given some sort of superiority complex to hound the non believers. He will "divide" them meaning what? Non Believers get one side of the earth and the believers get the other? I do not think so, he is going to kill non believers for doubting something with no proof, which is part of the makeup he would have given us if indeed the son of the creator through his father. Considering Jesus is possibly a metaphor himself, and most of the parables people take as gospel are being reconsidered as allegory, I feel that is offensive, and not a good thing that religion has brought to mankind. 

• Like 3

On 11/5/2016 at 11:11 PM, DieChecker said:

It has always been like that in Jarkarta. 

That is where the scum who were the Bali Bombers were buried, and thousands turned out to see their "good Muslim Brother" sent to Allah as a Martyr. 

There is quite some animosity towards the West in general in the area. I used to know a Greek girl who married a Malaysian guy who outright stated he hated and detested Aussies and all Westerners, he used to speak to me because my father was Russian, and he didn't seem to hold the same sentiments toward the Russians. 

LINK - Bali bombers buried after execution

Some supporters of the bombers, who never expressed remorse for their actions, shouted "God is great!" and called the men holy warriors, The Associated Press reported.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That is division though. People who believe Jesus are given some sort of superiority complex to hound the non believers. He will "divide" them meaning what? Non Believers get one side of the earth and the believers get the other? I do not think so, he is going to kill non believers for doubting something with no proof, which is part of the makeup he would have given us if indeed the son of the creator through his father. Considering Jesus is possibly a metaphor himself, and most of the parables people take as gospel are being reconsidered as allegory, I feel that is offensive, and not a good thing that religion has brought to mankind. 

But, those people will already be dead. Judgement comes at the end of the world. And they aren't killed by sent to the Fire for all time (if they deserve it).

Live your life to the Fullest. If there is no God, then you shouldn't worry.

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

But, those people will already be dead. Judgement comes at the end of the world. And they aren't killed by sent to the Fire for all time (if they deserve it).

Live your life to the Fullest. If there is no God, then you shouldn't worry.

But "God" has plenty of crazed religious quacks supporting him who we should worry about.

• Like 1