Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone know about this socialphenomenon?

BigD1998

I've heard of some strange social phenomenon that I can somewhat understand, but its kind of a ****ed up one. It's where a small group of people, maybe 2 or 3, who share ****ed up ideas or something to do with their relationship as friends that could lead them into criminal behavior to either impress each other or assert their friendship. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was kinda similar to mass hysteria, but within a group instead, in that when one person does one thing, other people start behaving similarly.

It sometimes doesnt really matter how long you knew each other, but rather if you have a mindset in where you would deliberately place yourself in a life threatening or criminalistic situation either because someone has inspired or influenced you, or vice versa. Or because you are so much alike it's kinda like you were meant to be partners in crime. Sometimes it's because you want to prove how much of a friend you are to the other person or other times it could maybe be because of some hunter-gatherer thing that is in our biology. Whether we could prove ourselves to be the dominant ones. It's a very complex kind of phenomena.

Or because if you share such similar ideas with the other person. But it could sometimes have unexplainable causes or consequences for both sides perhaps. I forgot what it's called.

Sometimes the crimes could be petty while other times the two or more parties have even been lead to more serious crimes, even crimes like murder!

Like I said, it might have something to do with evolutionary hunter/gatherer type brain chemistry that sets yourself as the dominant/submissive type. And that's probably how sometimes it can lead to murder. Because if you get kinda envious of the other party who has, say, committed a burglary or an armed robbery, you may want to assert your dominance by going out and committing an even more serious crime, which could mean murder in some extreme cases. And you might not even be like that when you're not around them, but since your brain is kinda going back to the stone aged ways of behavior, it sort of comes out.

So, in short, if two or more people, who share the same mindset, but is a ****ed up one or is an exploitable one, merge together, it can create a competition to see who the victor really is. I've seen examples of this online, and I've even subconsciously found myself engaging in it.

(And by mindset, I mean beliefs and ideas. In some cases/examples, interests.)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 5:07 AM, jmccr8 said:

Bonny and Clyde.

jmccr8

Actually that is a pretty great answer. As Ive done some personal research into this, Ive found that it coud have something to do with one, two or all three of the following: 

• Terrie Moffitt's Developmental Theory of Crime (Adolescent-Limited or Life-Course-Persistent Criminal)
• Bonnie and Clyde Syndrome 
• Traumatic Bonding

The reason I mention Terrie Moffitt's Crime Theory is because it may have something to do with Adolescent-Limited Criminal Offenders who only commit crimes in their later adolescence as they're growing and their prosocial character traits sorta temporarily dissipate until they become more developed. Perhaps they got caught up in the wrong crowd.

Bonnie and Clyde Syndrome also makes some good deal of sense, especially if they are romantically involved, and they do it to assert their love or friendship.

Traumatic Bonding because perhaps they were intimidated and went out and committed crimes to get respect.

• Like 2

The old saying "birds of a feather, flock together" still holds. They may behave differently in a group than individually, but the dominant mindset will largely be re-inforced in a group setting.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, Habitat said:

The old saying "birds of a feather, flock together" still holds. They may behave differently in a group than individually, but the dominant mindset will largely be re-inforced in a group setting.

Peer Groups... Cults... religious orders... The Inquisitions.. The Witch Hunts... Wars... Gangs...  We've recently experienced  a horrible gang that do small and increasingly larger crimes.. they don't even bother to hide their faces from the security cameras.. ..  usually frightening the mothers with kids at home.. other young families by breaking in at night..  and scaring  the elderly... traumatizing them.. The local priests  are trying to advocate for them,, suggesting that they are local youths who have given up hope for their future.. who "They're disengaged with their family, their community; they're disengaged with their family values, their community values and their faith," he said." ...  All they are doing is creating fear and distrust of new immigrants..  http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-cbd-brawl-who-are-the-apex-gang-20160314-gnima2.html

So a country that has welcomed people from foreign lands with open arms.. lots of social support ... are beginning to have second thoughts.