Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Campaign to Reissue Carl Sagans Golden Record

Claire.

Music for Aliens: Campaign Aims to Reissue Carl Sagan’s Golden Record

Carl Sagan’s Voyager Golden Record — of sounds of Earth, recorded greetings and an eclectic mix of music that was sent into space — has long been out of print and pretty much unobtainable for decades. One copy of the record is attached to NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft, which has entered interstellar space, the farthest artifact ever tossed out by humanity. A second copy, on Voyager 2, is not quite as distant, just 10 billion miles away. Both are receding from Earth at more than 35,000 miles per hour.

Not even Dr. Sagan, the Cornell astrophysicist who led the creation of the record in 1977 for the listening pleasure of any aliens who happened upon it, could get a copy. He asked. NASA said no.

Read more: The New York Times

• Like 2

While I'd love (and almost kill for..) a copy of this, it seems to go against the whole spirit of the project as laid out in that reply to Carl Sagan - and if they sell a bunch of them, how can they guarantee that no-one will profit from it from subsequent onselling?  These things are going to be very difficult to get hold of, and their price will escalate..

Having said that, I now have $98 that is starting to burn a hole in my wallet - this is the sort of thing I would love to have as a talking piece as a memento of one of the most significant space missions ever - a part of history...

• Like 3