Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV Series: The Exorcist

Claire.

30 minutes ago, David-C said:

Even though it's two different networks I'm waiting for a crossover where the Winchesters show up.

Would sort of make for a motley crew but it could be interesting.

• Like 2

So episode 3 was a little weird, but not in a good way.

I've been wondering about the Salesman and how he figures into the possession and it occurred to me following the subway scene that Casey knows who he is (which would explain the familiarity). He may have been a sexual predator who had victimized her at some point, and that she in her fractured state, became vulnerable to a demonic possession. Even worse, the Salesman continues to sexually abuse her, which is probably the creepiest part of the entire story.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Clair said:

You might be on to something with that and I agree it was an uncomfortable watch. It's starting to get too muddled for me. Too much going on and just two episodes to follow. I don't know how they're going to wrap it up. I also read somewhere that the ratings haven't been that great so that it might not be picked up for a second season.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2016 at 3:12 PM, Clair said:

Hide contents

I've been wondering about the Salesman and how he figures into the possession and it occurred to me following the subway scene that Casey knows who he is (which would explain the familiarity). He may have been a sexual predator who had victimized her at some point, and that she in her fractured state, became vulnerable to a demonic possession. Even worse, the Salesman continues to sexually abuse her, which is probably the creepiest part of the entire story.

That is a very good thought....And yes, that became very creepy in a real way, way beyond scary demons.

On 10/9/2016 at 6:33 AM, Zenith said:

You might be on to something with that and I agree it was an uncomfortable watch. It's starting to get too muddled for me. Too much going on and just two episodes to follow. I don't know how they're going to wrap it up. I also read somewhere that the ratings haven't been that great so that it might not be picked up for a second season.

Spot on there.  I felt the same way, a bit muddled and rushed.  Although, hopefully it will make for an exciting climax.

The most compelling story still is the priests and their interaction.  The best part of this episode IMHO was the interrogation of Casey.  

I still want to see it through.  I hope it's not picked up, to be honest, as I'd fear it would just become a 'demon of the week' type show.   I don't know, maybe I'm selling them short. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, supervike said:

The best part of this episode IMHO was the interrogation of Casey.

I agree, it had really good creepy elements to it and I love how Daniels taunted the demon. Here's a clip from that scene for those who haven't seen it.

And I'm guessing that all those body parts that were 'collected' are going to be used to summon up more demons or something, because it's obvious there's going to be a huge infestation of them. That one priest is turning out to be a bit of a wimp though, but I still really like Ben Daniels character.

• Like 1

Speaking of the uncomfortable scenes.  Was she using that hot curling iron the way I think she was using that?  That was hard to watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supervike said:

Speaking of the uncomfortable scenes.  Was she using that hot curling iron the way I think she was using that?  That was hard to watch.

Um yeah, I think she was. I suspect it was the series' equivalent to the crucifix scene in the movie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clair said:

Um yeah, I think she was. I suspect it was the series' equivalent to the crucifix scene in the movie.

Ah...You know I've never completely seen the original...

When I was just a kid, my parents took us all (brothers and sisters) to the Drive-In movies.  My sisters are a few years older than me, and I had to be about 6 or 7.

Anyhow, the Exorcist must have been the second movie, but all I can remember is hiding underneath the seats and plugging my ears in utter fear.

My parents are really really good people, and I had a great childhood....for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they stayed and watched that damn movie!!

I've had chances to see the movie since then, but I've been too creeped out by it!!  I've only seen bits and pieces....I've seen tons of horror movies, and they never really bother me.  That one is different.  Maybe someday I'll screw up my courage and make it through...

(sorry for the life story there...lol)

• Like 2

Aw your story was cute, I enjoyed it. Most kids like horror movies and maybe your parents weren't aware of just how scary it would be. I always watched horrors when I was little and loved them, especially ones with mummies in them.  I was reading an article about how frightened people were when The Exorcist was first released, so I went out and bought it. A couple of parts were a little creepy, but to be honest, I chuckled through most of it. But yeah, I can certainly understand why kids would freak. No doubt some of them might become afraid that if it could happen to Regan, it could happen to them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, supervike said:

Oh yeah forgot about that. At first I thought she was holding it against her stomach and then I was like.. wait a minute LOL. She was also shown later with a burn marks on her neck and arm, but I have no idea where those came from or if we were supposed to assume that they had to do something with that scene. I agree with Clair though, I think it was a throwback to the Exorcist crucifix scene... which btw was a lot more graphic.

• Like 2

Episode 4 raised more questions than it answered.

We did get confirmation of a couple of things (the curing iron and the purpose of the body parts). But how after totally mutilating that guy on the subway was she allowed to leave the hospital? Was there no police investigation? Or did the demon erase everyone's memories?  Also that scene in the hospital where the salesman is trying to get Casey to say 'yes'... I'm assuming yes to giving herself totally to the demon? Her mom interrupted before she could say anything, but (1) since when did demons ask for permission to possess someone (or was the question something else altogether) and (2) if permission was indeed required, how did we get from a non-answer, straight to an exorcism?

Also, there seem to be more than five episodes schedules. IMDb lists eight in total, although not all have a synopsis just yet.

• Like 2

Episode 5 had promised a terrifying exorcism, but the exorcism that took place was just meh. It had no punch whatsoever. It could be perhaps because they are saving up for an even bigger and messier exorcism towards the end.

It was still an okay episode, and the bombshell at the end of it totally changes the direction of the show.

So Geena Davis is the grown-up Regan (the Regan from The Exorcist movie). And guess who shows up at the end of that episode? Regan's mom. And she shows up echoing Father Merrin's arrival which I thought was totally weird, unless it's their way of suggesting that she's now an exorcist herself.

• Like 2

Yeah what was this that? I had read somewhere that they were going to show the exorcism for the full episode in real time and nothing even close happened. It was like a non-event and the actress who plays Casey did not deliver a convincing performance at all.

I was surprised by that bombshell as well but the end scene... well that was just stupidly hokey in my opinion.

• Like 2

Sorry....just got caught up on the last two episodes this evening.

So, has the evil spirit 'salesman' guy just been after Regan/Thelma and Louise, this entire time?  He did keep mentioning 'give HER to me' when talking to Casey.

I suppose the visual similarity of the mother entering to the original movie was a bit of fan service....but yeah, hokey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supervike said:

So, has the evil spirit 'salesman' guy just been after Regan/Thelma and Louise, this entire time?  He did keep mentioning 'give HER to me' when talking to Casey.

Yeah it seems that way. Casey was probably the most vulnerable which is why he got into her first. What I'm not sure about yet is whether or not it's the same demon who possessed Regan way back when. Or even if it's the same demon who possessed the boy in Mexico, because there are so many interconnections all over the place. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clair said:

Yeah it seems that way. Casey was probably the most vulnerable which is why he got into her first. What I'm not sure about yet is whether or not it's the same demon who possessed Regan way back when. Or even if it's the same demon who possessed the boy in Mexico, because there are so many interconnections all over the place. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Well, certainly all those demons have  a Facebook page or something, so I'm sure they keep up with what each one is doing.

The one thing I found ridiculous was after the Ambulance crashed, and Casey escapes, they have her loping off into the distance in the fog.  Can't possessed people just run like normal, and not flee like hunted werewolf?  It really took me out of the moment, and I laughed out loud.

I am still enjoying it though, and look forward to the next one.  The most compelling part is Ben Daniels' character.

• Like 2

Also, I guess I now know why Geena Davis' character was so quick to call this a possession.  A bit of the 'been there done that' syndrome.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, supervike said:

Also, I guess I now know why Geena Davis' character was so quick to call this a possession.  A bit of the 'been there done that' syndrome.

Aha yeah you're totally right. I totally missed that. Good observation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive finished the first season, pretty good show. Worth checking out. I wanna give spoilers but have restrained my self lol btw to those wondering this series is directly connected to the 80s film. How? you gotta watch to find out, the link is pretty awesome.

"Angela, is plagued by increasingly frightening nightmares, her husband is slowly losing his mind, her older daughter spends her time locked in her room and her younger daughter hears strange noises from inside the walls. Two priests are brought together, as all their fates become entangled in a battle against an ancient force of evil."
http://www.fox.com/the-exorcist

Edited by AdealJustice
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

This show is pretty damned good. It feels like it should be on a cable network. The writing, acting and production values are really top-notch.

I don't usually like horrors or supernatural-type stories with a few exceptions but this is great.