Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV Series: The Exorcist

Claire.

The Exorcist is a new TV series based on William Blatty's novel. I watched the first episode and it was pretty good. There were some good creepy moments (although the fact that Geena Davis can barely move her face is probably the scariest part). The actors are good as are the special effects, and the story line shows promise.

Worth checking out if you like super-hero priests battling demons.

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5368542/

• Like 7

My favorite part of the Original movie series was Max von Sydow ... and George C Scott ... the cast in those roles here pales ...

~

• Like 2

I was expecting cheese and cheap thrills. But this was actually well written and acted AND scary. Hopefully the rest of the season can stay that way. Well worth watching if you enjoy demonic hijinks! :D

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, third_eye said:

My favorite part of the Original movie series was Max von Sydow ... and George C Scott ... the cast in those roles here pales ...

~

George C. Scott wasn't in The Exorcist. Maybe you're thinking of Lee J. Cobb?

I agree that he and von Sydow are brilliant, but the actors playing the two priests in this series aren't too bad either. I was impressed by both. I could do without Geena Davis though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

I was expecting cheese and cheap thrills. But this was actually well written and acted AND scary. Hopefully the rest of the season can stay that way. Well worth watching if you enjoy demonic hijinks! :D

After not being able to make it past the first episode of shows like Damien, I wasn't expecting much from this one either, so I was really surprised at how good it was. The production level is quite high, and it's got some great possession scenes and several jump scares. I also hope they keep up the quality because I'm already hooked, especially with the promise of not just one demon, but lots of them.

• Like 1

Theres's something inside my house  ?  It's Beetlejuice , Beetlejuice , Beetlejuice . I missed the first episode but will check it out hopefully 

it will finally be something worth watching on local channels. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zenith said:

George C. Scott wasn't in The Exorcist. Maybe you're thinking of Lee J. Cobb?

I agree that he and von Sydow are brilliant, but the actors playing the two priests in this series aren't too bad either. I was impressed by both. I could do without Geena Davis though.

Yeah I understand you are confused ... the 'series' really messed up the sequences ... an honest review ...

~

~

In the real world events there was Exorcist I , II and III ... but in the reality of the movies Exorcist III was actually the real sequel to Exorcist ...

but never mind all that ... if you are into historical Horror movies this one is a good one for its day ... must admit it does look a bit dated by today's standards but its still a good flick to sit through ... and yes ... George C Scott is superb in this one ~ :yes:

~

• Like 2

I remember going to see Exorcist 2. I was really disappointed, it sucked big time. Exorcist: The Beginning was decent

• Like 3

I watched this and thought it was pretty good.  It will probably become one of my favorite shows, the other one being Lucifer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Yeah I understand you are confused ... the 'series' really messed up the sequences ... an honest review ...

Okay got it. Thought you meant the first one. I haven't seen any of the others. Thanks for explaining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zenith said:

Okay got it. Thought you meant the first one. I haven't seen any of the others. Thanks for explaining.

Forget Exorcist II ... total waste of time that one ... I remember having a go at it on VHS ... never made it past the 15 minute mark ...

• Like 2

Yeah, Geena looks like the victim of too much plastic surgery. That was probably the scariest thing. 

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed the episode too.  Intrigued mostly by the two priests.

It was surprisingly graphic and had 'horror' moments.  That's something rarely done well on Network TV.

Will definitely follow along.

When I first saw the commercials for this, I thought that Geena Davis might make it interesting.  I always like her and her acting.  But, I have to say, she is my least favorite part so far.  I'm not really understanding her character, and she is a bit distracting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, supervike said:

When I first saw the commercials for this, I thought that Geena Davis might make it interesting.  I always like her and her acting.  But, I have to say, she is my least favorite part so far.  I'm not really understanding her character, and she is a bit distracting.

I'm totally with you on Geena Davis. She really is distracting, not just with her weird face, but have you noticed how her eyes constantly shift to her right? It was really noticeable when she first met with the priest to discuss her daughter. It's annoying because it appears as though she's looking at something but you can't see what it is. The two priests on the other hand are great and the girl who gets possessed seems like she's going to be really good in the role as well.

• Like 2

Geena looks great in the video above but in the series she's got this embalmed look happening.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Zenith said:

Geena looks great in the video above but in the series she's got this embalmed look happening.

I thought the same thing!  

• Like 2

So the second episode was pretty good. It's a slow-burn horror but getting there. The best part in my opinion is Ben Daniels' character (he plays the edgy priest). His flashbacks are creepier than what's going on in the present.

• Like 2

Gave it a watch last night and agree it wasn't bad. One thing bugged me though and this may be a dumb question, but during the soccer game why did he have to possess her? Why could he not do what he did from where he was sitting?

• Like 2

On 10/1/2016 at 6:48 AM, Clair said:

So the second episode was pretty good. It's a slow-burn horror but getting there. The best part in my opinion is Ben Daniels' character (he plays the edgy priest). His flashbacks are creepier than what's going on in the present.

Agreed.  

On 9/30/2016 at 5:06 PM, Clair said:

Episode 2 airs tonight. Apparently there are just five episodes in total this first season. Not sure what the plans are moving forward.

Ah.  Only five?  That helps explain, to me at least, why they were in such a hurry to have the Possession take place.  I was having trouble with Geena Davis' character.  Why was she so convinced daughter 1. was possessed?  Why is she such a devout Catholic?  Why does such an affluent family go to a church in the projects?  These things probably would have been more drawn out and explained, had there been a longer season.

Also, whats the deal with Alan Ruck's character?  In episode one, he could hardly function, but now he seems fine?  Is he possessed as well?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, supervike said:

Ah.  Only five?  That helps explain, to me at least, why they were in such a hurry to have the Possession take place.  I was having trouble with Geena Davis' character.  Why was she so convinced daughter 1. was possessed?  Why is she such a devout Catholic?  Why does such an affluent family go to a church in the projects?  These things probably would have been more drawn out and explained, had there been a longer season.

Also, whats the deal with Alan Ruck's character?  In episode one, he could hardly function, but now he seems fine?  Is he possessed as well?

There are definitely a lot of unanswered questions, but it may be (as you suggest) because they have so much else to get in a limited number of episodes. But if it does well, they'll probably take it to another season, so there may be some back story provided at some point.

As for Ruck's character, he had moments of lucidity in the first episode, but yeah he seemed to have a fairly miraculous recovery from his brain injury in the second episode.

So what did you think of the twist? I have to admit I didn't see it coming,

My most favorite part in the second episode is

when Daniels tries to exorcise that creepy homeless woman  He delivers the "the power of Christ compels you" speech to no effect, and then she just grabs him and says..."Do I look compelled?"  Loved it.

:lol:

• Like 2

Yeah, I do love where it seems to be going.  It's perfect October television, creepy and ominous.

Spoiler

My favorite part was how they ended the episode, with the camera panning past the the poster in the background on the street, announcing the Papal visit.

"He is Coming".

Foreshadowing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, supervike said:

Yeah, I do love where it seems to be going.  It's perfect October television, creepy and ominous.

In reply to your spoiler... oh yeah that was pretty dramatic. All hell's going to break loose.

I forgot to mention that scene with the bugs on her pillow. I thought it was pretty lame until what happened in the bathroom. Ugh!

• Like 2