Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Universe has no sense of direction

Waspie_Dwarf

Cosmology safe as universe has no sense of direction

The universe is expanding uniformly according to research led by UCL which reports that space isn’t stretching in a preferred direction or spinning.

The new study, published today in Physical Review Letters, studied the cosmic microwave background (CMB) which is the remnant radiation from the Big Bang. It shows the universe expands the same way in all directions, supporting the assumptions made in cosmologists’ standard model of the universe.

arrow3.gif  Read more: University College London

• Like 7

I suppose that would make sense, given a 3 dimensional construct. When I was young there was a book that proposed several "shapes" for the universe: flat, spherical and even saddle shaped. Only the spherical seemed to make any sense to me, although I'm guessing the shape is not a perfect sphere in any case, given the distribution of matter and energy that we know of. 

• Like 1

agreed Sundew. Gravity and relative speed modify the symmetry or geometry of the universe. The Event Horizon is not a symmetric hyper-sphere, for example we may have something really close that is beyond the horizon because of its relative velocity (higher than c) or huge gravity(black holes). Of course, that at macro scale, it seen that, in average, expansion is uniform. 

Edited by josellama2000
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, josellama2000 said:

agreed Sundew. Gravity and relative speed modify the symmetry or geometry of the universe. The Event Horizon is not a symmetric hyper-sphere, for example we may have something really close that is beyond the horizon because of its relative velocity (higher than c) or huge gravity(black holes). Of course, that at macro scale, it seen that, in average, expansion is uniform. 

I don't think we will ever see to the edge of universe, if such an edge exists, because it probably lies well beyond the distance that light has traced since the universe began. We are blind to anything beyond that distance and always will be, the universe could be hundreds of times bigger than what we observe but we will never know, except by inference; direct observation is impossible. And even that which we can see that lies at the outer limits of distance is limited, the resolution of galaxies at 15 billion or so light years away looks like a fuzzy blob of red light from what I have seen so far. Very little detail at this distance given the size of our telescope and their ability to collect light.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sundew said:

I don't think we will ever see to the edge of universe, if such an edge exists, because it probably lies well beyond the distance that light has traced since the universe began. We are blind to anything beyond that distance and always will be, the universe could be hundreds of times bigger than what we observe but we will never know, except by inference; direct observation is impossible. And even that which we can see that lies at the outer limits of distance is limited, the resolution of galaxies at 15 billion or so light years away looks like a fuzzy blob of red light from what I have seen so far. Very little detail at this distance given the size of our telescope and their ability to collect light.

I agree Sundew, but that sort of brings up the argument by some "theorists" that we are living in a hologram or a "Matrix".

So have they identified the "center" of the Universe, or the place where the Big Bang occurred and started expanding outwards?

yes, dark_grey. It happen everywhere 13.799E9 years ago. Everywhere after the beginning was a single point.

Edited by josellama2000

Yes paperdyer. We should not confuse holographic with virtual. Holographic is used to explain how object or properties in lower dimensions affect affect our universe. 

The first one who came with the cosmological idea of a virtual universe was Paul Davis. Since then, they have been lots of signs that support that hypothesis. The building cubes in the compactification geometry of the universe is one of these signs.

Edited by josellama2000

10 hours ago, Sundew said:

The funny thing is that the everybody has his/her own universe, that is different (at some really small degree). If you speed up in a rocket, the geometry of your universe will change, In theory, by doing so, you may be allowed to reach (see or visit) distances, places, or epochs that we out of reach before, This is something similar to perception(which happens in the mind) but at physical level.

When astronomers look for emission from the surrounds of black holes, they are looking really close to the edges of the universe. 

Edited by josellama2000

On September 27, 2016 at 10:56 AM, paperdyer said:

I agree Sundew, but that sort of brings up the argument by some "theorists" that we are living in a hologram or a "Matrix".

I have heard that as well: someone had stated (and I can't remember who) that the universe IS expanding BUT NOT like stretching a rubber band, rather it seems to be expanding in mathematical increments, almost digitally. Now that could be a bunch of who-ha, I would have no idea, but if so, that's pretty interesting to say the least. 

18 hours ago, josellama2000 said:

The funny thing is that the everybody has his/her own universe, that is different (at some really small degree). If you speed up in a rocket, the geometry of your universe will change, In theory, by doing so, you may be allowed to reach (see or visit) distances, places, or epochs that we out of reach before, This is something similar to perception(which happens in the mind) but at physical level.

When astronomers look for emission from the surrounds of black holes, they are looking really close to the edges of the universe. 

I've heard that no two people view the same rainbow, but for all practical purposes, until we leave our solar system we all have pretty much the same view at the scale we are taking about. 

What I want to know is, what are we expanding into?

• 4 years later...

On 10/2/2016 at 12:04 AM, Mark56 said:

What I want to know is, what are we expanding into?

The universe is expanding at expenses of the hyperspace. 

If the universe can be visualized as an hyper-sphere floating on hyperspace+. So, the hyper-surface (which is our universe) of that hypersphere is what is being expanding into hyperspace+. I hope this hyper-explanation is hyper-clear :).   Moreover, people also ask if space expands as the universe does. My answer to this will be that space does not expand, but it is create as the universe expands. This is explained the resultant decrease on entropy, and it is explained by applying the Pauli exclusion principle to space.