Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Meteor hits Australia

seeder

'Biggest meteor seen for years' crashes into earth and causes HOUSES to shake as tremor terrifies thousands

Thousands of people reported a bright flash of orange lighting up sky
    Residents in central Queensland saw the light and felt a large tremor
    A Harvard astrophysicist believes it was a meteor that caused the event
    Harvard's Jonathan McDowell estimated the meteor was a metre wide

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3808738/Harvard-astrophysicist-says-bright-flash-light-Queensland-meteor.html#ixzz4LS9FBTnc

• Like 6

I hope the little green men parachuted out in time.

• Like 3

A meteor lite up the sky here one night, didn't know what was going on at the time.  It was like daylight out for a second or two.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

• Like 4

I wonder how big the meteor has to be or how many people have to die before we start taking the threat of impacts seriously...we are way too non-chalant about giant rocks from space whipping around us

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

I wonder how big the meteor has to be or how many people have to die before we start taking the threat of impacts seriously...we are way too non-chalant about giant rocks from space whipping around us

But what can we do?

• Like 2

I think we are constantly searching for the planet killers but there is so many of these little ones I doubt they would be easy to find or track.

Even if we do find a big one headed toward us what would they do about it?  Send out a nuke?  If its pretty far away it would only take a tap to get it to miss us but if its close that would be more of a problem.  If they destroy it we will be hit with a bunch of smaller pieces that could also do a lot of damage. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, seeder said:

But what can we do?

11 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

I think we are constantly searching for the planet killers but there is so many of these little ones I doubt they would be easy to find or track.

Even if we do find a big one headed toward us what would they do about it?  Send out a nuke?  If its pretty far away it would only take a tap to get it to miss us but if its close that would be more of a problem.  If they destroy it we will be hit with a bunch of smaller pieces that could also do a lot of damage. 

We should be taking it more seriously precisely because we don't have an answer to that question. Too often we only discover these massive meteors days before or even after they've passed us. We know the Earth has been hit several times and we can see the surface of the moon so we know how that goes. The Earth is sitting in a "cat's cradle" of giant flying rocks and we are still flinging sticks at other each other across a pond. There is a real, existential threat out there - Aliens aren't going to unify the people of Earth but I believe meteors can. We have technologies to save the planet, the biggest tragedy of all would be to squander it out of some misplaced sense of security.

• Like 3