Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to remain in your own astral body?

Summer08

So I need a bit of help here...

I astral travelled and woke up to find myself in a body that was not my own and being called a name that I did not know.
I found a mirror and did not see myself in it, but another girl, who was wearing clothes that I would never wear, so I proceeded to change them.
I informed the other astral travellers who I was, and I asked them if it was normal to do so and they told me it was... Is it? I have no idea, and how do you know? There's isn't always a mirror handy!

What I'd like to know is how do I remain in my own astral body and prevent people getting into mine, and me getting into theirs?
I hate not being me in my astrals, and have no desire to dominate anyone!

Any proven tips/ideas would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome to UM Summer :st Please, take time to read the site rules, they apply to everyone and can be found here: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

There are a lot of threads here on UM, and it might be helpful for you to use the search box in the upper right hand corner as well as participate in discussions. Enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

Since you have already spoken to other people about it that said it was normal... What did they have to say about how to control this? Or do none of them do so? Just curious as to what they had to say about it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Summer08 said:

So I need a bit of help here...

I astral travelled and woke up to find myself in a body that was not my own and being called a name that I did not know.
I found a mirror and did not see myself in it, but another girl, who was wearing clothes that I would never wear, so I proceeded to change them.
I informed the other astral travellers who I was, and I asked them if it was normal to do so and they told me it was... Is it? I have no idea, and how do you know? There's isn't always a mirror handy!

What I'd like to know is how do I remain in my own astral body and prevent people getting into mine, and me getting into theirs?
I hate not being me in my astrals, and have no desire to dominate anyone!

Any proven tips/ideas would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome, Summer08.

Tell yourself, before falling asleep, that you'll become aware of your dreaming whereupon you become uncomfortable with its content.

That should soon let you control what you dream.

Pleasant dreams.

Thank you for the reply...

That's the thing, I've always been acutely aware of my dreams and can recall as many as at least 7 dreams most nights.
I also know when I am astral travelling...

I've never had too many issues from a lack of control in my dreams, so this is highly unusual, for me.

It's like I body jump, or there is a body swap, done unwillingly, as I like being myself in astrals and in dreaming.
(I'm very comfortable in my own skin and am very happy with who I am as a person, warts and all... I've also come to a good place, with many people in astrals too, hence why I like being me! lol)

At some points it is almost like a tug of war, between my will and someone/something else's will.
I don't always win and they don't always win. (Protection shields appear to be irrelevant sadly. I've seen them busted and have tried a number of different suggestions... Happy to try a few more that I have not tried though...)

I sometimes find that I can share control, which is fine, but if I am in my own skin, and there is a shared control, I will want to have the final say in how to deal with a situation, which I think it is fair. It's my skin! If it is another person's skin, I let them have the final say, and that's how I've managed it in the past. It's just now, it is like I am being hijacked. After all if I have complete control of another person, then who on earth is controlling me, and where are they taking me?

Essentially, I would like to stop the hijacking, and happy to take on any suggestions to those who may have experienced something similar. 

Edited by Summer08
Grammar error
  • Like 1

Ive never had that experience personally, but I know a couple people who described something similar. I think it was really you completely all along. You were tricked into believing you were someone else. I don't know that for a fact, but Ive heard it said that way.

I once heard that, so I ensure that I get to a mirror as soon as I can in an astral, or water, somewhere I can see a reflection...
Instantly having male parts, instead of female parts is hard to fake, and a very odd sensation... 
I found it quite disturbing!

I also ask people in dreams/astrals to tell me my name as well, so I definitely look to make sure that it is someone else...
Always go for the most logical conclusion. 
However I am getting better at discerning, when I am in my own skin and when I am in someone else's skin...
It's also confronting when you see someone else parading around as you, but not behaving as you normally would... Not cool.

However I do believe that I have been hijacked in several astrals, and some of those were quite frightening... 
What did your friends do?
Did it resolve itself over time?

Well Im not sure it was the same thing. In one case one of them found that he was a little girl. There was a women with him that was like a mother figure. At first he was completely sold that he was this little girl. Once he realized he wasn't actually the girl, he kinda just willed himself back to normal, much to the dismay of the mother figure. The next guy it was similar in that he was convinced he was someone else, and was doing something that Im not gonna get into other then to say it was horrible. Of course he was horrified once he had the realization of who he really was, knowing he'd never do what he discovered himself doing. In both cases they basically willed themselves back to normal.

Maybe it wont be as hard for you, cause you already know the person you are looking at isn't you. at least isn't your awake form. Try to calmly will yourself back to normal. Ive found the less emotion you have about something, the more control you will have over the situation. In that place and in waking life.

• Like 3

I certainly try to will myself back into myself...
If that fails, I try to call out to family members, (I've been lucky there a few times).

And I've certainly reflected, (compassionately and honestly with myself) in relation to what is going on in my life and how I feel about that, and how important that actually is to me.
It's served me fairly well in many aspects, as I can deal with things fairly quickly and come to a solution/compromise. 

I have to admit that I've often felt hooks in my back when these hijacks take place...
I'm genuinely stumped... Maybe it's not even human... Don't know, I never seem to be able to get the hooks out during these hijacks... :/ 

• Like 1

Well I wish I had more to offer, but unfortunately I don't. Good luck Summer, and happy travels.

Astral travel does not mean your soul leaves your body (assuming for the moment that souls exist) because if it did then you'd be dead. Your "soul" is basically the spark that keeps your body running.

Generally speaking the astral body is just a mental projection of yourself so once you awaken then the projection disappears. One mental projection cannot enter the body of another as its only function (if there is one) is to observe and maybe gather bits of information.

Hate to break it to you but I really question the validity and accuracy of your accounts.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Summer08 said:

Thank you for the reply...

That's the thing, I've always been acutely aware of my dreams and can recall as many as at least 7 dreams most nights.
I also know when I am astral travelling...

I've never had too many issues from a lack of control in my dreams, so this is highly unusual, for me.

It's like I body jump, or there is a body swap, done unwillingly, as I like being myself in astrals and in dreaming.
(I'm very comfortable in my own skin and am very happy with who I am as a person, warts and all... I've also come to a good place, with many people in astrals too, hence why I like being me! lol)

At some points it is almost like a tug of war, between my will and someone/something else's will.
I don't always win and they don't always win. (Protection shields appear to be irrelevant sadly. I've seen them busted and have tried a number of different suggestions... Happy to try a few more that I have not tried though...)

I sometimes find that I can share control, which is fine, but if I am in my own skin, and there is a shared control, I will want to have the final say in how to deal with a situation, which I think it is fair. It's my skin! If it is another person's skin, I let them have the final say, and that's how I've managed it in the past. It's just now, it is like I am being hijacked. After all if I have complete control of another person, then who on earth is controlling me, and where are they taking me?

Essentially, I would like to stop the hijacking, and happy to take on any suggestions to those who may have experienced something similar. 

When unable to control a dream, one may try to either change the dream or wake up...

You've received some very diverse, but equally appreciable, responses from people I don't have to agree with to like--

:-D Hello, y'all!

Lately, threads here have been reminding me of literary works.  This one and 

remind me of a short story that I once read in Welcome to the monkey house : a collection of short works

by the same author named below

"Unready to Wear" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., originally published in Galaxy Science Fiction, April 1953 which you can read at the Internet Archive. Here is a synopsis from the ISFDB (typos corrected):

A part of humanity has become "amphibious" which means they are able to leave their bodies at will. They have a reserve of very healthy and good looking bodies which can be used at will, most of time they spend as incorporeal happy beings. Those humans who haven't left their bodies consider them deserters.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/49280/short-story-about-people-achieving-enlightenment-living-forever-with-disembodied

0:-) MGby'all.

Hey aka Cat

I usually wake up, as I don't seem to have the control to change it...
I've been mindfully putting my thoughts on dream control prior to sleep. 
It's too early for results, as yet. I'd like to give it a week of mindfulness, along with putting myself in a peaceful state, and not eating foods that may disrupt dreaming/sleep/astral in a negative sense...

I didn't know that there were short stories on the topic available...
When I first tried looking for answers this site came up. Someone in this site, or that is a part of this site, appeared to have something similar which admittedly prompted my joining of the site.

I will have a look at these short stories... Maybe they will have some ideas on what ideas I could try. ?
I'm a little surprised that what I've experienced isn't more common, or experienced by a few people out there?
Maybe I just got unlucky? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Summer08 said:

Hey aka Cat

I usually wake up, as I don't seem to have the control to change it...
I've been mindfully putting my thoughts on dream control prior to sleep. 
It's too early for results, as yet. I'd like to give it a week of mindfulness, along with putting myself in a peaceful state, and not eating foods that may disrupt dreaming/sleep/astral in a negative sense...

I didn't know that there were short stories on the topic available...
When I first tried looking for answers this site came up. Someone in this site, or that is a part of this site, appeared to have something similar which admittedly prompted my joining of the site.

I will have a look at these short stories... Maybe they will have some ideas on what ideas I could try. ?
I'm a little surprised that what I've experienced isn't more common, or experienced by a few people out there?
Maybe I just got unlucky? 

The subconscious is very suggestible especially in the case of repetition,

which is okay when the message is positively self-empowering.  So, persist,

and I believe it only a matter of time before you'll be able to filter your dreams.

Narara's case, that of the OP of the perviously mentioned thread, was more

like the movie, All of Me versus "Unready to Wear."  In fact, I recommend both

the film and the book, Welcome to the Monkey House.  If you like sci-fi horror

stories, look up The [Invasion of the] Body Snatchers.

0:-) MGby.

Cannot hurt to do it (mindfulness), and to be honest, I've really got nothing else at this point of time...

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Summer08 said:

Cannot hurt to do it (mindfulness), and to be honest, I've really got nothing else at this point of time...

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I appreciate it.

Actually, because we've ruled out two of three options and are now left with your changing dreams,

you're most likely to succeed by having a plan.  It can be something as simple as your choosing a 

location where you feel comfortable or, say, your having a superpower and/or protective suit such as

have superheroes, e.g. imagine some 8-) way to preclude would-be intruders from getting their "hooks

in [your] back."  Then, after however long it takes for you to imagine an effective defense, tell us about 

it.  Realizing a new power in a dream can be thrilling.

Merry dream-making.

On September 28, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Ryu said:

[...] Hate to break it to [Summer08] but I really question the validity and accuracy of your accounts.

Speaking of superheroes, the fact that your avatar resembles one suggests you should dream bigger...

The halo implies the miraculous, the glasses on your head ought give you some special vision, 

your Elvis lapels ought protect you from vampire bites (te-he, just in case you encounter the "shadow element*" of preacherman76) and, if you've never flown like Peter Pan, why not?!?

On September 28, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Ryu said:

* eight bits re: 3rd paragraph in

Edited by aka CAT

Ryu, I know what I experienced...
So you don't have to 'break' anything to me...
I've had such instances happen when I've been awake! 
It almost drove me insane thank you very much, and I was incredibly frightened and had no one to turn to, because nobody understood what was happening.
I ended up in hospital fighting for my life not too long after that, so you do not have to 'break' anything to me.
(They couldn't explain what had happened medically, and don't worry the psych evaluation came back as perfectly normal in case you're questioning my sanity!) ... Sigh. 

I'd be extremely happy to trade places with you to be honest, and you can have this issue...
Anytime! Instruct me on how to do so, and it's all yours... but you know that it doesn't really work that way, as nice as that would be for me. 

If you have anything constructive to add, then please do, but if it's just to question the validity of my account, then lets not waste each others time any further.
I need solutions, and I'm looking for answers!

I'm doing the best that I can here!  

Don't mind Ryu, Summer08.  She and I have discussed at length things she need imagine for herself 

before she can realize them.  And, being that incredulousness is less warranted here than in any other 

section of this forum, her dreaming may be fundamental to her limitations.  So, why stress out over

what is rightly the most whimsical part of ourselves?  After all, while I am sympathetically taking you

seriously, I expect Ryu and preacherman76 don't mind my ribbing them.

Peace, y'all.

P.S. Summer08, the more I both know and think about it, the idea of your featuring yourself in a protective superhero-style suit sounds good.  May it preclude others from violating you in any way.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

Thanks aka Cat

I'm just tired and frustrated, as it does wear you down over time.

I've tried a superhero approach, protection shield, lesser banishing, and a few other things that I could think of, but for some reason, they do not appear to be very effective? (Not sure why.)

I recall in my esoteric studies that the soul can indeed be invaded (almost like a virus), and of course, the soul can be killed (however in such cases, the physical body dies as a result, as well.)
Unfortunately for me, the teacher and Yogi that I learned from, has passed away, and it's difficult to find people with that level of skill and knowledge these days, as most of it, you will not find on an internet search engine... (which is a bit of a pain, but again, I understand why too!)

Just have to persist though and ask more questions. Thank you though, I appreciate it

3 hours ago, Summer08 said:

Thanks aka Cat

I'm just tired and frustrated, as it does wear you down over time.

I've tried a superhero approach, protection shield, lesser banishing, and a few other things that I could think of, but for some reason, they do not appear to be very effective? (Not sure why.)

I recall in my esoteric studies that the soul can indeed be invaded (almost like a virus), and of course, the soul can be killed (however in such cases, the physical body dies as a result, as well.)
Unfortunately for me, the teacher and Yogi that I learned from, has passed away, and it's difficult to find people with that level of skill and knowledge these days, as most of it, you will not find on an internet search engine... (which is a bit of a pain, but again, I understand why too!)

Just have to persist though and ask more questions. Thank you though, I appreciate it

The occult is your problem.  It puts too much emphasis on the said authority of one individual.  In the case of esotericism, I don't care how anyone equivocates Madame Blavatsky's teachings in regard to Lucifer.  And what you've described as yogic also sounds Satanic to me.

What you have been studying and those to whom you've been listening are obviously noxious.  You have misplaced your faith in those whose teachings create reliance by compromising your soundness.  Entrusting your spirituality to such dubious persons is akin to leaving a fox in charge of a henhouse.  To cede them control is to come a step closer to forfeiting one's soul to the devil, which explains the dark forces in your life. 

Short of anyone's using apologetics to proselytize you at this point, turn to directly to the Almighty.  Acknowledge God as benevolent Father.  Trust in Him over all others.  Confess how you've strayed from Him by heeding charlatans.  Ask His forgiveness and mercy.  Promise to serve Him above all.  And, in the name of God order the demons to get off of your back once and for all! 

Repeat the Lord's Prayer until you fall asleep, and I'll pray your Guardian Angel watch over you.

0:-) MGby.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2016 at 0:52 AM, aka CAT said:

Speaking of superheroes, the fact that your avatar resembles one suggests you should dream bigger...

The halo implies the miraculous, the glasses on your head ought give you some special vision, 

your Elvis lapels ought protect you from vampire bites (te-he, just in case you encounter the "shadow element*" of preacherman76) and, if you've never flown like Peter Pan, why not?!?

Amusing..however since you had to make an issue of my avatar..it is the main character from a game called 'Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.' The character is not a superhero.

I added the glow so it would show up better on a black background. I chose Ryu simply because it is my favorite character from the game as well as the series itself. Next time just ask instead of making goofy comments, ok?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryu said:

Amusing..however since you had to make an issue of my avatar..it is the main character from a game called 'Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.' The character is not a superhero.

I added the glow so it would show up better on a black background. I chose Ryu simply because it is my favorite character from the game as well as the series itself. Next time just ask instead of making goofy comments, ok?

(@)(@) Wow, I had no idea of exactly how much your avatar's character has to do with Summer08's last post.  Note the parallel between the Yogi and Odjn: "Ryu is the main character from Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, he links with the dragon Odjn and gains the ability to transform into a dragon. But unfortunately, after the link, Odjn begins taking over Ryu's body in a way that will eventually kill him when Odjn is restored"-- wikia.

That "Ryu is a physically capable warrior" makes him a good ally to have in nightmares.  So, why not use Ryu as an example of how one might handily conceive of wearing a protective suit to repel demons during his sleep?  You are now just that much better equipped to rest securely, only that, had I known the "character from a game called 'Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter," I'd have suggested your dreaming self knock over would-be invaders with his breath.  [Te-he] And since sometimes I cannot help but enjoy being a little goofy, I'm glad you found it "amusing." 

Just think... were you here, we could play Abbott and Costello, e.g.

CAT: Hey, Ryu...

Ryu: Am I what?

Happy "Star-trekkin' across the universe."

Edited by aka CAT

7 hours ago, aka CAT said:

(@)(@) Wow, I had no idea of exactly how much your avatar's character has to do with Summer08's last post.  Note the parallel between the Yogi and Odjn: "Ryu is the main character from Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, he links with the dragon Odjn and gains the ability to transform into a dragon. But unfortunately, after the link, Odjn begins taking over Ryu's body in a way that will eventually kill him when Odjn is restored"-- wikia.

That "Ryu is a physically capable warrior" makes him a good ally to have in nightmares.  So, why not use Ryu as an example of how one might handily conceive of wearing a protective suit to repel demons during his sleep?  You are now just that much better equipped to rest securely, only that, had I known the "character from a game called 'Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter," I'd have suggested your dreaming self knock over would-be invaders with his breath.  [Te-he] And since sometimes I cannot help but enjoy being a little goofy, I'm glad you found it "amusing." 

Just think... were you here, we could play Abbott and Costello, e.g.

CAT: Hey, Ryu...

Ryu: Am I what?

Happy "Star-trekkin' across the universe."

Well, Ryu is just a character in a game, it has no reality outside of a game screen or drawing (or a fanfic perhaps). It has no place in my dreams either. I do not dream of monsters or demons because I do not accept these things as having any reality other than in books.

There is nothing special about the character, in the game it is designed to be a ranger hence the uniform and is designed to be basically just a regular kid.

I don't understand your reference to "Yogi" though.

5 hours ago, Ryu said:

Well, Ryu is just a character in a game, it has no reality outside of a game screen or drawing (or a fanfic perhaps). It has no place in my dreams either. I do not dream of monsters or demons because I do not accept these things as having any reality other than in books.

There is nothing special about the character, in the game it is designed to be a ranger hence the uniform and is designed to be basically just a regular kid.

I don't understand your reference to "Yogi" though.

Ryu, are you sure you'll never dream you're Ryu?-- Ryu, are you trying to get me stuttering puns?-- are you, Ryu?!?

You could be less serious, while I should be more careful, e.g. how did I overlook Summer08's loss of her esteemed instructor?  

Her mentioning her esoteric studies' having her believe "the soul can indeed be invaded" and stating "the soul can [thereby] be killed (however in such cases, the physical body dies as a result, as well)" in connection with the Yogi must've caused my brain to shut off.  Still, granted that I don't want to seem insensitive, ambiguous is are the quotes above in juxtaposition with the said Yogi instructor's passing away. 

:-?

Edited by aka CAT

20 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Ryu, are you sure you'll never dream you're Ryu?-- Ryu, are you trying to get me stuttering puns?-- are you, Ryu?!?

You could be less serious, while I should be more careful, e.g. how did I overlook Summer08's loss of her esteemed instructor?  

Her mentioning her esoteric studies' having her believe "the soul can indeed be invaded" and stating "the soul can [thereby] be killed (however in such cases, the physical body dies as a result, as well)" in connection with the Yogi must've caused my brain to shut off.  Still, granted that I don't want to seem insensitive, ambiguous are the quotes above in juxtaposition with the said Yogi instructor's passing away. 

:-?

Edited by aka CAT