Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Jesus told us not to judge

markdohle

Why Jesus told us not to judge

When talking to people who do share deeply I am beginning to understand why Jesus told us not to judge.  While behaviors can be harmful to others it is easy to understand why they are done even if the morality behind them is still wrong if their history is understood.  We can judge actions and at times the need to deal with people who commit them.  That is a form of judgment.  Which is necessary, yet to judge the worth of another human being, or to give up on them is not something we are called to do as Christians.  That is what mercy is.  Mercy is mercy because it is not deserved, but a gift of grace.  The more we understand, the deeper we see, the easier it is to show mercy, even if something needs to be done to protect others.  

The seeking after revenge is not good for the one who desires it, yet it is a lesson that has not been learned by us as a species.  We see the fruit of hatred of any kind and its effect on our world, yet we ignore the wisdom of our religious traditions that show us a way out.  I am no further along; over and over again I am brought to the humiliation of seeing that below my so called Christian exterior there is a person who could easily slip into a warlike position.  I am glad that I have this struggle, for if it repressed it, it could one day come forth like a raging volcano.   Self knowledge is important, the more we see ourselves, the less we need to judge others, at least as far as their worth is concerned.--Br.MD

• Like 2

"Do not judge" probably exists because it's a lot harder to question a nonsense belief system if one of its inherent rules is "don't judge me."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Podo said:

"Do not judge" probably exists because it's a lot harder to question a nonsense belief system if one of its inherent rules is "don't judge me."

That is what it means to you :)....to me it has other applications.  Thanks for the comment.

Peace
Mark

1 Corinthians 5:11-13English Standard Version (ESV)

11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyonewho bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[a]whom you are to judge? 13 God judges[b] those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.

Apparently, Christians are to judge. How sad.

I respect your professed journey, sir, but if I may? Not to antagonize, but to acquire a clear understanding.

Coming from a christian background, I recall how caught up I was in all of it as a child. I accepted and studied the bible, and I even smoothed over or ignored the contradictions. Upon maturing, and much contemplation, I realised for me, it was time to put the bible aside. It had served its purpose in planting the seed of curiosity deep in my soul concerning things of a spiritual nature.

I began to observe Christians and members of every other faith I had access too. My own startling conclusion came after years of observing... I have only seen three types of "Christians" in my life...  Excluding the christian mystics- I see the swindlers. Those who whole heartedly know that religion is control and consensus has made the bible very powerful-smart individuals who use it for personal gain.

The ones who love Jesus cause their family does, making up a majority of said consensus, never getting too deeply involved in the dogma. Blindly accepting and not taking too seriously.

Then I see rather mentally slow people accepting the teachings with all their heart, and don't even understand the religion itself.

Perhaps my view is shallow, oh well. My rather obfuscated point is, why need a book to tell you how to treat others? Or any number of other human aspects? You seem to be a man of great faith-why? Potential reward, or punishment? Lemme guess, it helps guide you in your life decisions? Giving you the best life -lived for god-possible, right? 

I don't get it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

If you truly do not wish to be judged, do not do those things which shall cause you judgment.

True that " If you truly do not wish to be judged, do not do those things which shall cause you judgment.  "

Only god can judge.
Maybe the turbans think we are a bit wild over here?
a7dd2e02d8278e2cebe30961bdc56b27.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you truly do not wish to be judged, do not do those things which shall cause you judgment.

Damn, me and Podo are screwed- he's probably judged for being alternative and I'm judged for not lol

1 minute ago, MWoo7 said:

True that " If you truly do not wish to be judged, do not do those things which shall cause you judgment.  "

Only god can judge.

Lol lol ROFL!!!

• Like 1

Yep you're in trouble HA!

1 minute ago, Wes4747 said:

Damn, me and Podo are screwed- he's probably judged for being alternative and I'm judged for not lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

How out of context was my comment taken?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not at all, just needed a reference to display how challenging it is to exist in a way as not to be judged!!

• Like 1

Blank ?  what ? ah is that ?

Oh you're not one to judge ?   yes I'm kidding.

Oh, got it. THerE was some Lag time, just came in HOT OFF THE PRESS there wes!

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not at all, just needed a reference to display how challenging it is to exist in a way as not to be judged!!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wes4747 said:

It's easy, live in a manner that is socially acceptable or don't give a crap what people think. If you wish to judge me, first judge yourself. The whole 2x4's and toothpicks argument.

Still -- some things are what they seem, no judges needed. Besides if one has a board in the eye can't they warn or judge another with a small stick in the eye? or does that make sense HA! jsut talking away here OBVIOUSLY ! tee-hee dig.gif

Judge Judy --  eyes rolling.
oh-brother.gif
Time is up !
hrry.gif

You're a a .. ah sweetie ?

Edited by MWoo7

14 hours ago, Wes4747 said:

1 Corinthians 5:11-13English Standard Version (ESV)

11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyonewho bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[a]whom you are to judge? 13 God judges[b] those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.

Apparently, Christians are to judge. How sad.

I respect your professed journey, sir, but if I may? Not to antagonize, but to acquire a clear understanding.

Coming from a christian background, I recall how caught up I was in all of it as a child. I accepted and studied the bible, and I even smoothed over or ignored the contradictions. Upon maturing, and much contemplation, I realised for me, it was time to put the bible aside. It had served its purpose in planting the seed of curiosity deep in my soul concerning things of a spiritual nature.

I began to observe Christians and members of every other faith I had access too. My own startling conclusion came after years of observing... I have only seen three types of "Christians" in my life...  Excluding the christian mystics- I see the swindlers. Those who whole heartedly know that religion is control and consensus has made the bible very powerful-smart individuals who use it for personal gain.

The ones who love Jesus cause their family does, making up a majority of said consensus, never getting too deeply involved in the dogma. Blindly accepting and not taking too seriously.

Then I see rather mentally slow people accepting the teachings with all their heart, and don't even understand the religion itself.

Perhaps my view is shallow, oh well. My rather obfuscated point is, why need a book to tell you how to treat others? Or any number of other human aspects? You seem to be a man of great faith-why? Potential reward, or punishment? Lemme guess, it helps guide you in your life decisions? Giving you the best life -lived for god-possible, right? 

I don't get it.

It is OK if you don't get it, some of what you said about the above is true, others well very subjective B).  The same can be said of people from any religion or none at all.  For instance the way people lock step in our culture today while thinking they are free.  I wish you good luck on your life's journey as well my friend.  It is a rough one but one wroth taking.

Peace
Mark

• Like 3

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You need to re-read my friend.  To judge an action is one thing, the worth of a human being another thing entirely.

Peace
Mark

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

Only god can judge.

LOL, funny, However the word 'whore' is used by men that they use and then discard, it is also based on a double standard that we men tend to have towards women.   Which shows how wrong we can be in our judgements of others.

Peace
mark

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, markdohle said:

You need to re-read my friend.  To judge an action is one thing, the worth of a human being another thing entirely.

Peace
Mark

The sum of one's actions shows the worth of a human being.

I think the whole do not judge and he who is within sin cast the first stone and treat others as you want to be treated are some of the greatest things of the bible.

Imagine our world if people actually followed those principles. And I'm not even talking religiously I just mean in general if people followed those things 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I think the whole do not judge and he who is within sin cast the first stone and treat others as you want to be treated are some of the greatest things of the bible.

Imagine our world if people actually followed those principles. And I'm not even talking religiously I just mean in general if people followed those things 

And that's really all I was saying. Who needs a dogma to do that? An old book? That's what I don't get. And yes, I will go so far as to offer an apology for my statement regarding the kinds of Christians I've witnessed.  

I simply long for a religion of truth and acceptance and love for one another. If you belong to no groups, you can associate with all. Once we start looking for base truths and similarities we can grow together.

My truth is no greater than your truth, and perhaps neither are the truth?

Mark, if you would be so kind, please tell me why you choose the Christian path? I ask, in sincerity, for you to share the basis of your choice.

• Like 1

FOr myself I learned a long time ago through learning from a few monks that 'judging' is inevitable in modern society ... the manner of how one makes a living, how one 'competes' , how one makes life decisions ... from making friends in childhood, religion if it applies to ones life experiences, all the way to choosing a spouse ... even at the end, the funeral arrangements ...

THe thing is the other part of the saying is conveniently discarded ... Lest ye be judged ... most people accepts judging is unavoidable ... the problem starts when they who judged faces judgement on the same scales ... on a different court ...

~

• Like 3

I like the story where Jesus was purported to say, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." 

If one person didn't get stoned to death because of that, wonderful. How many got stoned because of what was said in the Old Testament, though?

It's almost like (actually, it's exactly like) Jesus was saying that what his Dad said was wrong. It's not right to stone people to death. And if that's the case, how can anyone possibly understand what is right by reading the bible? 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1