Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO captured on police helicopter thermal cam

Black Monk

I always believe that there's a rational explanation waiting to be found, and I don't instinctively trust the police or 'scientific' analysis: things are rarely as they seem.

However, the Bristol Channel and Puerto Rico footage remind me of an experience I had in 1994. I offer no theory as to what I saw, and I can't objectively prove that it happened. But for what it's worth, here's an account I wrote some years ago of my sighting:

On the evening of July 15, 1994, I was returning from a day at the Open golf championship at Turnbery in Scotland. I was one of a group of around 30 people aboard a Shorts 360 aircraft routing from Prestwick to Coventry. Some of our party were in a somewhat tired and emotional state, but for the record I’d had one pint of beer before boarding the flight, and was nursing a double scotch on board.

The weather at Prestwick was mainly cloudy with a blustery W or NW wind, but as we came south through northern England, cloud cover thinned to around three oktas. Visibility was excellent and there was no noticeable turbulence.

At approximately 7.45pm, we were just starting to descend from our cruising height of 8,500ft and were passing to the SW of Burton on Trent. I can be quite certain of our location because a colleague in the seat behind me, who’d been asleep, came round and asked me where we were. I could see the distinctive red triangle logo on the chimney of the Bass brewery to our left, so was able to give him a more precise report than he was perhaps expecting.

I looked away from the window for perhaps 30 seconds, then looked out again, and saw a dull reddish-brown sphere with no visible markings or surface features, the apparent size of a football, move rapidly out from beneath the aircraft, travelling on what I’d say was a course from SSW to NNE.

My immediate feeling was one of shock and astonishment, and I can clearly remember thinking that I had to eliminate the possibility of hallucination or optical illusion. I turned away, blinked hard, then looked out of the window again. The object was still clearly visible over my left shoulder, moving rapidly away from us. I kept it clearly in view for about 20 seconds: as it receded into the distance, its course appeared to curve slightly towards the east. It then picked up the rays of the evening sun, which was quite unexpected as it had seemed if anything non-metallic (or at any rate it had a matt surface). There was no vapour trail or hint of smoke, flames or luminescence.

For the duration of the sighting, I was spellbound. I was convinced that I wasn’t seeing a balloon, a passing football or basketball didn’t seem at all likely, and I’d been careful to eliminate the chance that this was some kind of reflection in the window glass of either the interior or exterior of the aircraft.

I felt numb. I managed to say something to my mate behind me to the effect that I didn’t believe what I’d just seen out of the window, but he was dozing off again, and obviously hadn’t witnessed a thing.

The sensible thing to do on landing would, I know, to have been to talk to the crew and those of my fellow passengers who were still relatively sober to see if anyone could corroborate my sighting. But I was beginning to feel quite shocked by what I’d experienced.

• Like 4