Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religion May Motivate Expansion into Space

Claire.

Religion May Motivate Humanity's Future Expansion into Space

It's been more than 40 years since a human stepped on another world, and the usual motivators — national pride, scientific discovery and even profit — may not be enough. Instead, people may turn to religion, according to some experts.

At the annual Mars Society convention in Washington, D.C. last week, in a panel called "Cosmos in Cosmoi — Worldview & Visions for the Future of Humanity as a Multi-Planetary Species," four experts discussed the reasons human beings have explored outer space, including religious and social motivators. The panel was moderated by Nicole Willett, education director of the Mars Society. The group noted that popular notions of the religion-science divide don't often hold up to scrutiny, and that the urge to go to remote places can be rooted in a fundamentally religious impulse.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 1

Interesting piece!  While I can't personally imagine being motivated to search for God (basically) by traveling the universe, I can understand how future man might - provided the Creator hasn't returned prior to our achieving the ability to embark on the trip :)  I can hear the naysayers - that it's only natural that when the "clock runs out" and He hasn't shown, then of course we'd take our fantasy into space but here's the thing...  If human travel to distant parts of our solar system or even further into our galaxy became possible on a large enough scale and we continued to compile more evidence of the systematic intricacy and precision of all the things we encountered yet didn't "find God" so to speak, wouldn't the effect rather dampen faith than embolden it?  Perhaps this is the fate most in the Scientific faith  foresee.  Simple man that I am, I look forward to the Creator returning, just as he said he would, at a date and time unexpected (for most) and unannounced.  Until then I hope that as a species we will continue the quest for relevant knowledge that strengthens and fulfills us as the unique creations we are and I pray that we will, moreover, use that knowledge to comfort each other, not revert to form and use it for power and subjugation.

• Like 1