Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ethical Issues of Human-Animal Chimeras

Claire.

Human-Animal Chimeras: Biological Research & Ethical Issues

In Greek mythology, the Chimera was a magnificent monster. It was an unusual mélange of animals, with a lion's head and feet, a goat's head sprouting off its back, and a serpentine tail. It wrought great destruction, until the hero Bellerophon killed the monster, with the aid of the winged horse, Pegasus.

In scientific terms, the word "chimera" retains the essence of its mythical roots. A chimera is made of cells that are derived from two (or sometimes more) organisms. These "parent" organisms may be of the same or different species. The defining feature of a chimera is that the individual cells in its body are not all the same; they are genetically distinct. Instead of a mixture of genes from each parent organism, a given cell contains the genetic information of only one parent organism. Thus, a chimera is made up of populations of cells that are genetically identical to each of its parent organisms.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

Just build a brain, a giant one, see what it would do.

""" research group introduced human embryonic stem cells into the brains of 14-day-old embryonic mice. These experiments, described in a 2005 article published in the journal PNAS, showed that the human embryonic stem cells formed many different functional neural cell types. These cells continued to develop into mature and active human neurons within the forebrain of the mouse.  """

Then I can toss this computer and laptops right out the window.

Thanks for the article, could barely read it all , I'm wiped NGIHT ALL ! sbeeen fun.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

Ethics don't mean much if it makes a lot of money and unfortunately money is what drives research not the other way round. Lets just hope no one is stupid enough to create bigger animals with human levels of intelligence because if they do we are probably screwed. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

create bigger animals with human levels of intelligence because if they do we are probably screwed. 

HA! yeah could be a bit of a problem, ? what is that phrase hindsight 20/20 or not eh? I forget, one in the labs was ? the h..mmm ? the clarity of your retrospect scope a little fuzzy ? no, oh wellzz an off day today obviously. OBVIOUSLY I NEED A DOSE OF BRAINCELLS! where's the meds? kidding.

• Like 1

uhmmmm ... I'll take a lions tail ... an elephant trunk ... rabbit's ears or hare , doesn't matter ... a set of extra fish gills over the horse's lungs ...

this is beginning to sound like reading off a menu at some exotic  restaurant serving special wild life dishes ...

~

• Like 1