Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You'll be wrapped around my finger

preacherman76

You guys remember that song from way back when from the police called Wrapped Around Your Finger? I remember hearing it on the radio when I was a kid. I never paid any mind to the lyrics. From the chorus I assumed it was about him being in love with some chic, to the point where she basically owned him. Anyhow I hear the song on the radio recently, and for the first time really listened to the lyrics. Well come to find out, this song is a deep spiritual song that has nothing to do with a relationship between a man and women. Its actually about a relationship between a man, and the devil. I had to look up the definition of a few of the words in the song, and it made it even deeper. Lets take a look. I'm gonna break it down and give my commentary. I was wondering if anyone here agrees, or disagrees with my analysis. To start, Imagine this is a man speaking to Satan.

"Wrapped Around Your Finger"

You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes.

(both Scylla and Charibdes are from Greek Mythology, it would take to much time to go into detail, so look them up if you want to know more. The lyrics imply that To be “between Scylla and Charybdis” means to be caught between two equally unpleasant alternatives. Im assuming from the Devils POV, going to heaven or Hell would be undesirable)

Hypnotized by you if I should linger
Staring at the ring around your finger.
I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college.

(Here obviously he is speaking of seeking spiritual knowledge, I imagine from the occult)

I can see the destiny you sold
turned into a shining band of gold.
( Im guessing here he's talking about the destiny the Devil chose when he rebelled against God. Making it look as though it was a desirable thing to do, and that the man could gain if he were to follow the same path. To change gears a little, maybe this is a choice the band, or lead singer believed they/he actually faced. Obviously with the devils path leading to fame and fortune. Kinda like Bob Dylan would have us believe. That he sold his soul to the devil to become, well, Bob Dylan lol)

I'll be wrapped around your finger.

(He decides to sell out)

Mephistopheles is not your name,
But I know what you're up to just the same.

(Mephistopheles, also called Mephisto , familiar spirit of the Devil in late settings of the legend of Faust. Among other things he is known as a trickster, a deceiver. The man is strongly suspicious of the Devils motives and true intentions)

I will listen hard to your tuition,
And you will see it come to it's fruition.

(But he's still gonna go with the flow anyway. The thought of glory is to much for him to resist. Even knowing he could possibly end up in a trap)

Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
Vanish in the air you'll never find me.

( Something has dramatically changed. The man has chosen to abandon the Devil, and follow the path of God. Im also thinking some time after that conversion the rapture took place. Or maybe on a spiritual level he's just untouchable. Protected, invisible.)

I will turn your face to alabaster,
Then you'll find your servant is your master,

(Alabaster is a finely granular variety of gypsum, often white and translucent, used for ornamental objects or work, figurines, carved images, Idles. I have no idea what this is implying. The servant becoming the master further confirms the mans shift in this spiritual war.)

And you'll be wrapped around my finger.
You'll be wrapped around my finger.
I'll be wrapped around your finger

( I think you get the point)

I cant believe this was ever a radio song. Especially as a top 40 kinda song.
Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 5

The idiom regarding the fingers is not entirely innocent either ...

~

twist/wrap somebody around/round your little finger. to be able to persuade someone to do anything you want, usually because they like you so much He'd do anything you asked him to. You've got him wrapped around your little finger!

~

Notice it is quite gender specific too ...

;)

~

• Like 2

Sting has explained who and what the song is about. It has nothing to do with the devil.

Like other tracks on Synchronicity, such as "Every Breath You Take" and "King of Pain," "Wrapped Around Your Finger" was a personal song for Sting. He said in an interview, "'Every Breath You Take,' 'Wrapped Around Your Finger' were all about my life."[2]

Sting described "Wrapped Around Your Finger" as "a spiteful song about turning the tables on someone who had been in charge."[2] Like other Police songs from this period, it features mythological and literary references, including the Scylla and Charybdis monsters of Greek mythology, and the German legend of Faust. It has a relatively slow, almost foreboding feel in the beginning verses, modulating to evoke a lighter, triumphant feel during the chorus.

"This song is vaguely alchemical and probably about a friend of mine, a professional psychic and my tutor in tarot, with bits of Doctor Faustus and 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' thrown into the pot for good measure."  — Sting, Lyrics By Sting

Source: Wikipedia

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Clair said:

Sting has explained who and what the song is about. It has nothing to do with the devil.

Ok so I was pretty close then ; )

• Like 4

Yup I agree ... preacherman was right on the money ... :D

~

• Like 5

Great!

Since I first opened this thread earlier I can't get that song out of my head! :mellow:

• Like 5

I think ZZ owes us all five bucks each ....

:lol:

~

• Like 3

One of my favorite Stings !   I thought the meaning was pretty obvious from a first reading of the lyrics. . .  years back !

• Like 5

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

One of my favorite Stings !   I thought the meaning was pretty obvious from a first reading of the lyrics. . .  years back !

It's now one of mine too. I might have gotten it back then, but I was like probably 7 the last time I heard it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

It's now one of mine too. I might have gotten it back then, but I was like probably 7 the last time I heard it. 

How do you feel about the  Faust Theme '  now ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

How do you feel about the  Faust Theme '  now ? 

Honestly, aside from what I read yesterday, I really don't know much about Faust. Im looking forward to finding out though.

Same thing happened with that song One from Metallica. Couple weeks ago I ended up hearing the song. So My son asked me about it. I go on to tell him about the music video when he asks me what movie it was from. I didn't know. So then of course I had to find out. Its from a old movie called Johnny got his gun. It was really good.

Anyhow Im gonna add it to my reading list

• Like 2

As an aside, I always thought the lyrics to Every Breathe You Take were rather creepy for a pop song ..... to me it was all about an obsessive stalker telling his victim "whatever you do, I'll be watching you ....."   The complete antithesis of a love song.

Edited by Essan
  • Like 6

It was the 70's, all that 'free love' nonsense was winding down. The return to traditional relationships among hippy's was bumpy as they were adjusting to the rigors of monogamy. Trust didn't come easy.

• Like 1