Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richard Sherman: The NFL is a ‘bottom line

bubblykiss

In a new segment for his weekly series with The Player's Tribune, Seahawks' cornerback Richard Sherman appears in a four-minute video on how the NFL treats its players. He says that the league sees them like race cars, doing just enough to keep them in good shape to perform, then dropping them once they're no longer on a roster.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/richard-sherman-the-nfl-is-a-‘bottom-line-business’/ar-BBwNnEO?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Man with 12.57m dollar salary seems to be shocked that capitalism is designed to used people as things to make money, it is probably a good thing he does not have to actually work for a living otherwise he might have a valid point.

I mean really? A man that makes many times my lifetime earnings in a year is just now understanding how unfair things are? Really?

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 4

Yeah, it's a business? Really now! :rolleyes:

He knew that going in.

The NFL is doing more for ex-players than ever now. The union agreed to a 765M concussion settlement in 2013, but now that cap has been removed.

Link

Edited by -ZZ-
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, -ZZ- said:

Yeah, it's a business? Really now! :rolleyes:

He knew that going in.

The NFL is doing more for ex-players than ever now. The union agreed to a 765M settlement in 2013, but now that cap has been removed.

Link

To be fair he only had his college education paid for and could not possibly understand that other men have to accumulate debt for their education and that they are not guaranteed multi-million dollar careers after their graduation.

• Like 5

My brain is just messed up today. I read the title and thought it said Richard Simmons. I started reading it and went what the hell does this have to do with Richard Simmons. I need to go lay down.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kurzweil said:

My brain is just messed up today. I read the title and thought it said Richard Simmons. I started reading it and went what the hell does this have to do with Richard Simmons. I need to go lay down.

Thank you for the day's best image in my head.

I think the NFL does allot for its players.   They are paid well while they play.    They are often times welcomed to the past teams events.   They get to be radio and TV personalities.  

More than I'll get from the company I work for.  

I think the NFL could do a better job of training its players not to say stuff that makes them look like idiots.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the NFL does allot for its players.   They are paid well while they play.    They are often times welcomed to the past teams events.   They get to be radio and TV personalities.  

More than I'll get from the company I work for.  

I think the NFL could do a better job of training its players not to say stuff that makes them look like idiots.

My big beef with the NFL is how they actively covered up studies on concussive brain damage to protect "the bottom line".
In almost all major sports leagues, the athletes will be commodities. Like race horses or boxers. When the concussions have taken their toll or the horse breaks it's leg, you inject it with steroids and push it back on the field.

Just another corporation masquerading as entertainment.

I think what will be the endgame for the big 3 pro sports (MLB,NFL,NBA) will be the excessive level of whiney greed...

These guys go to the best colleges and have the opportunity to have the best educations money can buy if they choose to do so for FREE!

No student debt at all and then have a chance to PLAY a game and become multi millionares because of PLAYING a game!!!

There are risks to everything in life,sorry but i'm getting sick of these tales of oppression and abuses done to these super rich pricks!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, supervike said:

I suppose Rome treated it's gladiators similarly.

These guys get free rides to become whatever they want...Doctors,lawyers,business men,ect.

They choose to play football,it's far from their only option...

I would like to add that the average NFL career is about 3 years. Min salary is 435k..the vast majority are not your Richard Shermans or mega contract guys..

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

These guys get free rides to become whatever they want...Doctors,lawyers,business men,ect.

They choose to play football,it's far from their only option...

Add that once their football playing career is over they have many options that the NFL opened for them.  

Does anyone work at a place that wouldn't hire a player from the local NFL team?  Around me, almost any ex Colt can find a position at nearly any company.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Goodf3llow said:

I would like to add that the average NFL career is about 3 years. Min salary is 435k..the vast majority are not your Richard Shermans or mega contract guys..

That's why getting that free ride degree should become mandatory before one can move on to the NFL...

I can't feel sorry for many of these athletes who make multi millions and within 3 years we hear their sad tales on a tv special of how they are now completely broke.

If they would have gotten a business degree on that free ride those type stories wouldn't exist!

• Like 1

A little off topic but I am reminded of the Burt Reynolds movie The Longest Yard.

Remember when the prisoners were trying to get a team together? A few guys had NFL experience and when they were asked to play they said something like: "We no longer perform for the white plantation owner's entertainment"

For some reason I still think about that to this day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

I guess I saw it as him trying to inform others possibly, and not whine as most here summarize. 

Agreed.  I don't really begrudge him, what he makes.  The team is willing to pay him, so more power to him.

The NFL does treat those people like commodities, because they ARE.  That's the cold, ugly, truth.

How many workplaces across the country do the same thing?. Take the best years of an adult's life and use it up.  That is the job market.   As soon as I don't perform in my job, woof, I'm gone too.  

In that regard, Work sucks, but you got to make a living.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

I guess I saw it as him trying to inform others possibly, and not whine as most here summarize. 

If most others weren't already aware that it is a business,then my suggestion of finishing that degree is in dire need of becoming mandatory... ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

If most others weren't already aware that it is a business,then my suggestion of finishing that degree is in dire need of becoming mandatory... ;)

Amen brother! :tsu:

• Like 1

People keep touting the benefit of free college...most of these players don't WANT to go to college in order to play in the NFL.  It's a rule, and a stupid one.  If a 17 year old kid can code better than 99.99% of Americans, he can make an app, work for Google or Apple, and make millions.  If a 17 year old kid can throw a football better than 99.99% of Americans, he has to go to college for free for at least 2 years while getting berated by people about receiving free college for playing a game, all while risking injury causing him to lost out making millions on the best talent he has.  Doesn't make much sense to me.

11 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

People keep touting the benefit of free college...most of these players don't WANT to go to college in order to play in the NFL.  It's a rule, and a stupid one.  If a 17 year old kid can code better than 99.99% of Americans, he can make an app, work for Google or Apple, and make millions.  If a 17 year old kid can throw a football better than 99.99% of Americans, he has to go to college for free for at least 2 years while getting berated by people about receiving free college for playing a game, all while risking injury causing him to lost out making millions on the best talent he has.  Doesn't make much sense to me.

Those free rides are usually state funded tax dollars that are depriving others who would make a REAL contribution to society doctors,engineers,ect. a better opportunity.

Besides most 17 year olds are not physically mature enough to play in the league that is why they are required two years,and hell if they can't understand someone willing to give them millions of dollars a year is a "business decision" then someone needs to educate them!

I have trained boxers and mma fighters over the last several years and used to fight aswell...I can say 90% of fighters would love to have the opportunity to get free college,training,ect.

Some jobs which is what the NFL is require a lot of training...

I mean hell if a 20 year old nurse wants to become a doctor,guess what they have to actually climb that ladder...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

That's why getting that free ride degree should become mandatory before one can move on to the NFL...

I can't feel sorry for many of these athletes who make multi millions and within 3 years we hear their sad tales on a tv special of how they are now completely broke.

If they would have gotten a business degree on that free ride those type stories wouldn't exist!

There is a limited number of scholarships that a program can hand out. Like I said before, most don't make multi millions..but I agree that they should be responsible for obtaining their degrees.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goodf3llow said:

There is a limited number of scholarships that a program can hand out. Like I said before, most don't make multi millions..but I agree that they should be responsible for obtaining their degrees.

I know man,i think it's 85...

But most of the ones who go to the league are/were scholly athletes.

I'm willing to bet the former walk ons who make NFL teams and paid their own way through college tried a hell of a lot harder in class lol

1 hour ago, supervike said:

Agreed.  I don't really begrudge him, what he makes.  The team is willing to pay him, so more power to him.

The NFL does treat those people like commodities, because they ARE.  That's the cold, ugly, truth.

How many workplaces across the country do the same thing?. Take the best years of an adult's life and use it up.  That is the job market.   As soon as I don't perform in my job, woof, I'm gone too.  

In that regard, Work sucks, but you got to make a living.

Tell me about it, but everything else I agree with in your post. Him complaining probably isn't best because he's making more than most, and even myself in a lifetime, but if you do have a platform, and want to voice something like this it's the best way to do so. 

Edited by Nightgale