Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christopher Nolan's WW2 Movie: Dunkirk

Careful_perspective

The first teaser trailer came out in August. It looks like it will be good. Nolan apparently got $20 Million upfront and will be getting 20 percent of all it grosses.

• Like 4

I usually despise big-budget Hollywood war epics in which, inevitably, an American saves the day despite the fact that they didn't enter the war for another year and a half, but part of it was filmed round my way, so it might be worth skimming through, at least if I could skip through the inevitably absurd heroics perhaps.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

I usually despise big-budget Hollywood war epics in which, inevitably, an American saves the day despite the fact that they didn't enter the war for another year and a half, but part of it was filmed round my way, so it might be worth skimming through, at least if I could skip through the inevitably absurd heroics perhaps.

It will be interesting to see a lot of different things in the film.

The evacuation, the mountains of equipment the British were forced to abandon, Hitler holding back the tanks from utterly annihilating the demoralized infantry, the fatigue of the air and navy crews, the desperate rearguard action that bloodied the leading German units so brutally, the emotions of the men who lost the fight after their fathers had won their own war, the rapid organization of several civilian boats to ferry men.......

This is a fascinating topic to explore in cinema. I just don't see how it will work.

• Like 5

The cinematography looks like it will be amazing. Apparently they've refurbished actual WWII-era ships to use on-screen, and Nolan paid $5 million for a vintage German Luftwaffe fighter which he plans on crashing in the film. I lobe huge epic war movies, especially when they are done right

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clair said:

The cinematography looks like it will be amazing. Apparently they've refurbished actual WWII-era ships to use on-screen, and Nolan paid $5 million for a vintage German Luftwaffe fighter which he plans on crashing in the film.  

I sincerely hope he didn't. That would be little short of scandalous, considering what can be done with CGI now.

It occurs to me that if an old 109 is worth $5 million, might be time to start making replicas ! :blink:

It'd be absolutely crazy, Even if it was actually a Spanish built Merlin engined Buchon, it'd be an absolutely scandalous waste of a historic artifact. I don't know if filming has been completed by now, so it was just a hollow threat, but that'd be irresponsibility of the highest degree. 

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin
  • Like 2

Anyhow any proper Producer worth half a grain of salt knows it does not require crashing the Authentic refurbished specimen to look 'real' on the screen ... all it takes is a slight variation of the camera angle and crashing an empty hull of the model and it will look just as good if not better ...

~

I wasn't able to find any story that confirmed he is actually doing that...so I am going to withhold judgement for now.

• Like 1