Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs' Diversity Linked to Mental Disorders

Claire.

Doggonit: Genes That Make Fido Human Friendly Also Linked to Mental Disorders

When it comes to diversity in shape and stature, few single species show as much variety as dogs. From dinky toy poodles to towering Great Danes, dog breeds come in nearly every shape and size. Now, according to a new study, the same genetic plasticity that produces so many breeds could also make dogs more susceptible to mental conditions comparable to obsessive-compulsive disorder and autism.

Read more: Smithsonian

Edited by Clair
  • Like 3

Ha! The only way we're tolerable, eh? 

the same genetic plasticity that produces so many breeds could also make dogs more susceptible to mental conditions comparable to obsessive-compulsive disorder 

I just wanna say that maybe being dressed up in outfits and carried around in someone's purse might also contribute.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

the same genetic plasticity that produces so many breeds could also make dogs more susceptible to mental conditions comparable to obsessive-compulsive disorder 

I just wanna say that maybe being dressed up in outfits and carried around in someone's purse might also contribute.

YES! Talk about a "mental condition". Then they wonder why Fifi nips at anyone that gets close. "Fifi doesn't like strangers! LOL"

No, Fifi has been made neurotic by a neurotic person. Sorry but I have a bone to pick with dog owners that treat their pets like some kind of emotional medicine. Love me and comfort me when I want it, deal with the fact that I'm never taking you for a walk unless i need an  accessory for my handbag.

• Like 2