Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Trace Myths to Primordial Origins

Claire.

Scientists Trace Society’s Myths to Primordial Origins

The Greek version of a familiar myth starts with Artemis, goddess of the hunt and fierce protectress of innocent young women. Artemis demands that Callisto, “the most beautiful,” and her other handmaidens take a vow of chastity. Zeus tricks Callisto into giving up her virginity, and she gives birth to a son, Arcas. Zeus’ jealous wife, Hera, turns Callisto into a bear and banishes her to the mountains. Meanwhile Arcas grows up to become a hunter and one day happens on a bear that greets him with outstretched arms. Not recognizing his mother, he takes aim with his spear, but Zeus comes to the rescue. He transforms Callisto into the constellation Ursa Major, or “great bear,” and places Arcas nearby as Ursa Minor, the “little bear.”

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 7

Fascinating article. The parallels mythical stories and human migratory movements are really interesting.

• Like 1

This is a wonderful article. And very well done tracking.

I love lore tracking. Like how werewolf and wee folk stories often travel with European migrations across the U.S. Or The Great Conflagration ghost stories. This guy is impressive as hell- the farther back you go, the harder it is to get "clean" points in lore travel.

I've been tinkering with a new lore tracking project myself, and this article has given me inspiration to keep working at it. Excellent.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rashore said:

I've been tinkering with a new lore tracking project myself, and this article has given me inspiration to keep working at it. Excellent.

Please do it and share it with us. I too found the study fascinating, with my only complaint being that it left me wanting to know more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clair said:

Please do it and share it with us. I too found the study fascinating, with my only complaint being that it left me wanting to know more.

It's a study in a small area of the Midwest, of the legends and lore surrounding roads. What actually has true crime background and has nothing, and how these legends can jump and travel within their haunt range.

Like when there was an actual murder house along a drive- only that property is gone or otherwise "unhuntable" and so the legend jumps "a further bit up the road" to another suitably "huntable" or appropriately abandoned property. And so then the haunted drive moves. Bridges that get demolished sometimes jump to other nearby bridges. There are often instances of a real house being claimed as a nefarious building of some sort, and it's completely unfounded- yet clings more tenaciously in the legend than say a real crime in the area that inspired that legend, then falls out of memory. And then there is the lore that travels within this. Like children pushing cars over RR tracks, or phantom cars, and so on. These aspects too seem to move along.

I'm only working from 1900 or so forward with this, no where as deep or far reaching as this guys work.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rashore said:

It's a study in a small area of the Midwest, of the legends and lore surrounding roads. What actually has true crime background and has nothing, and how these legends can jump and travel within their haunt range.

Like when there was an actual murder house along a drive- only that property is gone or otherwise "unhuntable" and so the legend jumps "a further bit up the road" to another suitably "huntable" or appropriately abandoned property. And so then the haunted drive moves. Bridges that get demolished sometimes jump to other nearby bridges. There are often instances of a real house being claimed as a nefarious building of some sort, and it's completely unfounded- yet clings more tenaciously in the legend than say a real crime in the area that inspired that legend, then falls out of memory. And then there is the lore that travels within this. Like children pushing cars over RR tracks, or phantom cars, and so on. These aspects too seem to move along.

I'm only working from 1900 or so forward with this, no where as deep or far reaching as this guys work.

It may not have the same scope of the other work, but it sounds really quite interesting. The research and story gathering must be extremely labor intensive, but your subject matter is fascinating and no doubt well worth the effort. If ever you had the time and/or inclination to broaden your tracking, I think you'd have a bestseller on your hands.