Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Lone horseman' ghost still haunts Grimsby

UM-Bot

I love ghost stories like this. Nothing better than reading such spooky tales on a dark autumn or winter's night.

Also, such ghost sightings are hard for sceptics to dismiss.

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

I love ghost stories like this. Nothing better than reading such spooky tales on a dark autumn or winter's night.

Agreed.  I like them too.

Also, such ghost sightings are hard for sceptics to dismiss.

Absolutely wrong.  They are easy to dismiss using facts, common sense and critical thinking.

What's actually hard to do, in fact, up to this point, it's been impossible, is to prove that ghost sightings actually happen.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 4

I love ghost stories too. Nothing better than to sit at a campfire with the darkness of night behind you as someone describes the famed ghost axe murderer that haunts the woods and attacks unsuspecting campers from behind, at night.

I'm a big lover of paranormal stories, I'm a big fan of the old radio talk show host Art Bell and love watching investigative ghost shows on TV. I enjoy horror styled movies, games and books.

With that said, I have yet to see any hard evidence that implies a paranormal existence that cannot be explained by more rational means. I really wish there was any rational evidence but the only thing I've every seen that points to something existing outside of our time-space reality are the properties of quantum mechanics. But even in that the causality events all happen in our time-space and then manifest again in the same. So there's no evidence that even quantum mechanics has causal events that originate outside of our time-space. Thus, that's no evidence of ghosts or the paranormal either.

In the end, it all makes for great entertainment but that has no connection to reality. Love the story though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Agreed.  I like them too.

Absolutely wrong.  They are easy to dismiss using facts, common sense and critical thinking.

When many people keep saying the same apparition along the same stretch of road, it's very hard for sceptics to dismiss it.

3 hours ago, Black Monk said:

When many people keep saying the same apparition along the same stretch of road, it's very hard for sceptics to dismiss it.

Again, it isn't.  I'm dismissing it right now, as easily as I'm typing it.  And will until someone can prove that these apparitions were actually seen.  Just because someone makes a claim doesn't mean that claim is accurate or true.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Noxasa said:

I have yet to see any hard evidence that implies a paranormal existence that cannot be explained by more rational means.

None exists yet, but we don't know what'll happen in the future.

11 hours ago, Noxasa said:

In the end, it all makes for great entertainment but that has no connection to reality.

It is that.

Statistically, falling asleep while driving accounts for 10 to 30 percent of all crashes. Would it be anymore extraordinary to argue that his brief dream may have saved his life.

• Like 2

The only trouble with ghost stories is you have to believe in them or want to believe enough to lose yourself in the story and be scared.  I used to be able to do that, but a almost 64 I can't seem to get into them anymore.  Maybe because the ghost stories are getting more and more bizarre.  I strongly feel I've seen some things that's can't be rationally explained, like shadow creatures, with my last dog, I just can't get into the fun of ghost stories.

• Like 1

One of the best known sightings involved a lorry driver who had been following another lorry along the A18 around ten years ago when the driver in front suddenly hit the brakes as hard as he could.

It turned out that the man had seen a figure riding a horse straight towards him out of the darkness 

For this reason there are laws on how long a lorry can drive for and now quite a few lorries have dashcams, maybe one of them can catch this these alleged ghosts.  

Actually, do not even need to be a lorry driver, any photo will do. And why is this story giving the boy the limelight if the horse is also seen. 

Edited by freetoroam

9 hours ago, paperdyer said:

The only trouble with ghost stories is you have to believe in them or want to believe enough to lose yourself in the story and be scared.  I used to be able to do that, but a almost 64 I can't seem to get into them anymore.  Maybe because the ghost stories are getting more and more bizarre.  I strongly feel I've seen some things that's can't be rationally explained, like shadow creatures, with my last dog, I just can't get into the fun of ghost stories.

Meh, not really.  I can watch a TV show and be entertained, and know completely it's not real.  Just like reading a book (well, fiction).  Not one ghost story I have ever heard did I ever believe in, but some were entertaining anyway, especially if the storyteller was doing a good job.

• Like 2

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 10:35 PM, Black Monk said:

Like Thor, I dismiss it.  See how easy it is?  Us boring sciency types find plenty of intrigue and majesty and beauty and mystery in ... reality.

So when you got any decent evidence, come on back..  Gathering evidence is easy too, if there actually is any Spot the problem?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This boy was born in respectiful family with 2 children - boy and girl.

He was very bright and kind. He was going to be layer or a doctor.

He fell from the hourse  and was killed instantly. He wa around 16 years old and was looking to go to the university. He got a close friend who lived near by and there was a female he loved not from his class and he was thinking to merry her.

This hourse was their own. Family was looking for him for couple of hours.

Tragic story

Sincerely 

Mike Wolph

8 hours ago, Mike Wolph said:

Hi,

This boy was born in respectiful family with 2 children - boy and girl.

He was very bright and kind. He was going to be layer or a doctor.

He fell from the hourse  and was killed instantly. He wa around 16 years old and was looking to go to the university. He got a close friend who lived near by and there was a female he loved not from his class and he was thinking to merry her.

This hourse was their own. Family was looking for him for couple of hours.

Tragic story

Sincerely 

Mike Wolph

Mike, where did all this info come from, and how did you personally verify any/all of it?

BTW, welcome to UM..