Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virtual Reality for PC

alibongo

I'm seriously thing of getting a VR headset (actually, I will).

It seems there are 2 main players, one about £200 more than the other, but the more expensive one is better than Oculus rift.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience of these?

I have an Oculous Rift set and I play around with it now and again... I don't play any games on it yet (I'm too lazy to mess with changing too many controller and graphic configurations), but the packaged programs with it (sightseeing stuff, some 3d models of buildings etc) are pretty cool...  However, I've noticed that about an hour is all I want to handle at a time - mainly because the headset gets rather warm around my forehead - the Oculous has all of its heavy duty circuitry in the headset itself - and it tends to get warm, not hot - but noticeable... I originally got it to play Elite Dangeroous on - but the game has ticked me off because everybody wants to be a fricken pirate and every time I play for more than a few minutes I get jumped by some buttheads that have nothing better to do all day than tick me off...

Also, a friend of mine is very prone to motion sickness and the Oculous does not bother her in the least - so it's a very smooth system with no latency problems...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Taun said:

Also, a friend of mine is very prone to motion sickness and the Oculous does not bother her in the least - so it's a very smooth system with no latency problems...

Hmmm, this has piqued my interest now, I have similar problems.  But, because I'm being quite silly tonight:

Image result for south park oculus rift meme

• Like 2

When the bugs are worked out and I can get a really good flight sim, I'll buy in!

• Like 2

I have read that Bethesda is working with  HTC Vive  to bring out FO4 in VR.

How cool is that- not just roam the Commonwealth landscape, but live in it!

I'll hang on just a little while longer, but it seems Hive is going to be the winner ( a bit like Betamax vs VHS, the winner will not be the best system, but the best supported system.

On 10/11/2016 at 7:27 PM, alibongo said:

I have read that Bethesda is working with  HTC Vive  to bring out FO4 in VR.

How cool is that- not just roam the Commonwealth landscape, but live in it!

I'll hang on just a little while longer, but it seems Hive is going to be the winner ( a bit like Betamax vs VHS, the winner will not be the best system, but the best supported system.

As a person who's been gaming all his life(srs started with Super Mario World at Age 4) up until now this line scares me a lot. 

2 hours ago, Nightgale said:

As a person who's been gaming all his life(srs started with Super Mario World at Age 4) up until now this line scares me a lot. 

What's wrong with wanting to live in the Commonwealth?

Just now, alibongo said:

What's wrong with wanting to live in the Commonwealth?

Everything just everything. Trust me it just gives me nightmares being srs for a second. I'm just getting over being a gaming addict, and I always vowed I'd never do VR when I first started hearing about it. I'm personally not going to stop you of course, but I just say you, and people posting here might be able to control it, and not get messed up, but I really just see some legit problems brewing here with this honestly. 

Not to hijack the thread, and be a debbie downer, but just legit concerns is all. 

23 hours ago, Nightgale said:

Everything just everything. Trust me it just gives me nightmares being srs for a second. I'm just getting over being a gaming addict, and I always vowed I'd never do VR when I first started hearing about it. I'm personally not going to stop you of course, but I just say you, and people posting here might be able to control it, and not get messed up, but I really just see some legit problems brewing here with this honestly. 

Not to hijack the thread, and be a debbie downer, but just legit concerns is all. 

Well, I have just spent another evening roaming the Commonwealth, and it is always better than the real world.

I've now got the DLC, and the game is nagging me to go to Nuka world and Far Harbour, but just right now, me and Piper are happy to continue shooting up super muties and trade their stuff in Diamond City.

I feel guilty about jilting Cait, and I shamelessly led Nick on to get his hacking perk, but it is just a game, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Virtual reality will have to grow much more for me to get interested into it, right now it's pretty much mediocre in my opinion.