Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Hot Is Hell?

Claire.

How Hot Is Hell?

Just how hot does it need to be in order to be "hotter than hell"?

First, let's try to figure out just where hell is located. Most religions describe hell as existing deep underground. Presumably, hell is the same distance from New York as it is from Beijing or London, for example. So, for argument's sake, let's stick it at the center of the Earth, in the planet's superhot, iron core.

Scientists have yet to directly measure the temperature of the Earth's inner core, but most estimates put it at somewhere between 9,000 and 11,000 degrees Fahrenheit (5,000 and 6,000 degrees Celsius). That's pretty hot — hot enough, in fact, to melt that iron-alloy ball under normal conditions, but the constant weight of the rest of the planet pressing down on it keeps the core, which is about one-third the size of the moon, solid. (It's hot enough to melt iron, but apparently not quite hot enough to melt one's eternally damned soul.)

Read more: Live Science

• Like 2

The deepest part of hell is cold, a la "Inferno" from the Divine Comedy.

• Like 7

Hmmmm interesting, also interesting is that I think it was a NASA site WEBSITE) on the sun SURFACE temp mentioning 4000 degrees coldest sun spot and 10,000 general surface, wow! I would have thought more but certainly less for the internal earth. The blue in my artsy fartsy oxy/acetylene torch I think might be hotter.  WOW I for one would never have thought the core would be that hot.  Well that sucks, now I'll have to get a plasma .or .. hmmm do they make a lightning torch?  Now that'd be cool  shaker.gif .

• Like 1

H O L Y !   ..... Clair is just hot !

, ,, , , , , Cripes ! I JUST  JUUUUUUUUUUST Posted, and in a blink *bing* Like.  Obviously hella fast!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Socks Junior said:

The deepest part of hell is cold, a la "Inferno" from the Divine Comedy.

Yeah, you beat me on that.

We should actually say "colder than hell"!

• Like 1

Since the Bible also refers to the state of being damned as being in "outer darkness" I've thought of deep space as being just as suitable a location.  Being totally cut off from the light of God for eternity doesn't require heat to be torture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

As long as it doesn't mess up the Pinot Noir I'm fine with it.

I can just hear Madeline Kahn saying this ... right after ...  

~

~

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danielost said:

room temperature

Most likely as hell is imaginary and when we die, our bodies just drop to room temperature. We never get to see our loved ones again, and in many cases, never got the chance for a proper goodbye, which some might consider a personal hell, even if one is not aware of it. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I can just hear Madeline Kahn saying this ... right after ...  

~

~

" As long as it doesn't mess up the Pinot Noir I'm fine with it." " I can just hear Madeline Kahn saying this ... right after ... "Probably one of the best one's yet ! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah simply HILARIOUS ! 

third_eye

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

From a Biblical view that is too hot.

Organic bonds break down at about 400 degrees celsius, we would literally just disintegrate in a hell over 400 degrees celsius, yet we are supposed to suffer for eternity, which would indicate some sort of body like we have here, as a ghost like creature without actual physical properties is jst a gas, and won't have the pain receptors we are told that will make hell hell, So in order to suffer like the loving creator states those who do not bow to him will, we must have some form capable of suffering comparable to what we have now, and the temps would have to be painful but not lethal. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

From a Biblical view that is too hot.

Organic bonds break down at about 400 degrees celsius, we would literally just disintegrate in a hell over 400 degrees celsius, yet we are supposed to suffer for eternity, which would indicate some sort of body like we have here, as a ghost like creature without actual physical properties is jst a gas, and won't have the pain receptors we are told that will make hell hell, So in order to suffer like the loving creator states those who do not bow to him will, we must have some form capable of suffering comparable to what we have now, and the temps would have to be painful but not lethal. 

You can't apply logic. Being in a supernatural state of being in a supernatural place means supernatural laws of physics if physics is even the right way of describing things. Plus by your logic it's all a fantasy anyways which means anything goes.

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

You can't apply logic. Being in a supernatural state of being in a supernatural place means supernatural laws of physics if physics is even the right way of describing things. Plus by your logic it's all a fantasy anyways which means anything goes.

Indeed, as my first post also indicates, however, as I say from a Biblical point of view, which is a fantasy view. Already covered bud ;) Our bodies cannot be the same as they have to last an eternity so they can burn and be tortured forever. The loving God would provide that as your second existance I would assume? 

Just working with what we have ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Indeed, as my first post also indicates, however, as I say from a Biblical point of view, which is a fantasy view. Already covered bud ;) Our bodies cannot be the same as they have to last an eternity so they can burn and be tortured forever. The loving God would provide that as your second existance I would assume? 

Just working with what we have ;)

The Christian God confounds me, he says he loves his followers, but damns them to an eternal hell for eating pork. 

As to the question at hand, I'd say a temperature hot enough to burn flesh without liquefying it. 

• Like 2

A punitive Hell beyond earthly death is a manifestation of over-exuberance by people who subscribe heavily to carrot-and-stick motivational theories. They overdid the sales pitch. It makes no sense to me that hell would be anything worse than oblivion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

The Christian God confounds me, he says he loves his followers, but damns them to an eternal hell for eating pork.

I think Christopher Hitchens nailed that one ....... ;) 

FCtwV90q0fRR24gR7yVLFgMxFAvQ_Ri-RD8-zu2R

3 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

As to the question at hand, I'd say a temperature hot enough to burn flesh without liquefying it. 

Pretty much where I was heading :tu: 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

FCtwV90q0fRR24gR7yVLFgMxFAvQ_Ri-RD8-zu2R

Pretty much where I was heading :tu: 

Lol!

I know, I was agreeing with your heading. ^_^ That is, assuming there even is a hell...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

Lol!

I know, I was agreeing with your heading. ^_^ That is, assuming there even is a hell...

Well, like F3SS says, it is fantasy and can be anything!

So MY Hell has Bon Scott, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley and Chris Farley parting on the Highway to hell!!! I am so IN!!!

Well-wishers at my wake saying he’ll be well missed,
But wait till they’re well p***ed, they’ll wish me to hell with,
Everybody that I wanted to party with anyway,
Don’t care if it’s a hundred and ninety degrees centigrade

Lyrics Hilltop Hoods. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

"The gods that we've
made are exactly the gods you'd
expect to be made by
a species that's about half a
chromosome away from
being chimpanzee." 'I think Christopher Hitchens nailed that one ....... ;)  ' 

Wow, just wow.  Some statements really pop out there.

Edited by MWoo7
changed (d) to (f) typo of course , naturally B)

who knows?  ...  but , we often hear people say... It's hotter than Hell today... or , it's hotter than Hell in here , as if they know how hot Hell is.