Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An impetus for 'Stone Age' 'sites' .

back to earth

Thanks Swede   I will check those .

I agree with this ;  " However, to view all monumental structures as representing some "universal code" would obviously be stretching (!) many cultural and temporal factors. "

I recently got this and just started it ; 

Image result for ong orality and literacy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Hope that the above is of assistance.

Greetings Master Swede

As usual much appreciated and most helpful, though I believe it would take a few days for me to fully comprehend the full extent of the information provided , that which I must add is due entirely to no fault but my own.

Thanks be to ye ...

~

I was looking for another article that inferred that cave painting was a form of education,I will post it when I find it in my folders. For now though I will add this links as it expresses a position that the art was of a religious nature.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/04/scholar-cave-paintings-show-religious-sophistication/

jmccr8

• Like 1

'sacred' ... I have a problem with associating it all with 'religious'

~

So do I ... it infers what we think of religious   .....   'hunting magic' might be a better term  than 'religious'    .  I know that is done here and was probably done in ancient times in Europe  - for this I cite the 'lump' of clay, in the cave with with the bison art.  Its roughly 'bison shaped' and seems indented with many spear marks .  perhaps it had a skin over it ?  

Then again 'cave painting '  must be a much wider term than my 'stone age '   ;) 

Certainly , here, in modern context, much cave art is 'sacred site' and therefore considered 'religious'   (sacred can mean ; reserved for special purpose/s ) 

Image result for Nawarla Gabarnmang

• Like 1

Hi Third_eye,

I wasn't supporting their conclusion, the article that I'm looking for proposes that some cave paintings were part of an educational tool but am having some difficulty posting links from folders in my google tool bar. i will post the link when I find it and recopy to my bookmarks bar then post.

jmccr8

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, back to earth said:

So do I ... it infers what we think of religious   .....   'hunting magic' might be a better term  than 'religious'    .  I know that is done here and was probably done in ancient times in Europe  - for this I cite the 'lump' of clay, in the cave with with the bison art.  Its roughly 'bison shaped' and seems indented with many spear marks .  perhaps it had a skin over it ?  

Then again 'cave painting '  must be a much wider term than my 'stone age '   ;) 

Certainly , here, in modern context, much cave art is 'sacred site' and therefore considered 'religious'   (sacred can mean ; reserved for special purpose/s ) 

Image result for Nawarla Gabarnmang

I was just thinking in terms of carrying a story forward through the art medium along with oral presentation. Such forms of art would be relatively easy to reproduce as groups of people moved and continued to teach the young members of a group.

jmccr8

yeah .    It all works here, through the complexities of  'songlines'  and who has what rights to what story, and how much of each story , and where you are allowed to travel .  

people moved  around a vast area  ( not counting those that took off to find new places )  frequenting certain sites where the art was . I dont think it needed to be 'reproduced' in other areas  but certainly 'touched up ' or added to . . . .  by special people . 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Third_eye,

I wasn't supporting their conclusion, the article that I'm looking for proposes that some cave paintings were part of an educational tool but am having some difficulty posting links from folders in my google tool bar. i will post the link when I find it and recopy to my bookmarks bar then post.

jmccr8

Hiay you ... I know ... I wasn't directing it at you ... was more at the 'headings' ... apologies ... I should have been more specific ...

~

• Like 1