Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

OK Skeptics, What is This?

SSilhouette

If you wan to see various LUTs in commercial software then click on these links. I'll spam the thread if I put the images into the post.

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/download/luts/LUT_Montage.jpg

And here is a commercial package showing all of the LUTs they supply. The link at the bottom takes you to a site where they tell you the rhyme and reason behind the LUTs.

https://www.wavemetrics.com/products/igorpro/creatinggraphs/colortab.htm

Here is an IR camera blog in which the camera shows useful information instead of fooling the gullible.

http://quibb.blogspot.com/2010/07/infrared-rays.html

Here is a page showing a dog using different LUTs, seen on screen, as demon or in an altered state of consciousness. This is known as a paranormal event if you are gullible.

http://waveprojectlewis5.wikispaces.com/Infrared+Waves

emsInfraredWaves_mainContent_thermal-ima

• Like 2

Good posts, stereologist, and I did learn something myself.  Disappointingly, but perhaps surprising, SS won't learn anything from it.

• Like 1

SS has asked for explanations, of which he has has given none worth discussing, and has now been thoroughly overwhelmed by far more than I am guessing he expected.  He has nothing to offer but simpleton insults and avoids all the tough questions adamantly so I am guessing this thread is getting old for him. 

Is SS the best his side has to offer?  Hopefully so as that means all  is not lost as he was easily defeated and never offered more than the usual silliness and hand waving (as ChrLzs says).

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

Mighty big ego there.  Want to return to the thread topic at some point?  Or should we continue to make this a thread about "how great, rational and right Thorvir always is!!"?

So far, nobody has adequately explained why a rainbow anomaly with clearly delineated spectral heat boundaries, stretched from Jay to BEHIND the psychic's head on the thermal imaging footage.  We've seen that farts (random other heat sources with a directional flow) have homogeneous color.  We've seen that the anomaly passes behind the psychic's head, ruling out a source closer to the camera's sensors.  And, that's all we've seen.  

I've even discussed how post-production manipulation would be so expensive as to be prohibitive.  And how I'm not even sure that IR footage lends itself well at all to this type of editing.  To make the anomaly flow so convincingly would take a lot of experts a lot of time.  And I don't think TAPS has the budget for that just to make a passing comment at the end of one of their shows (which was about a ghost hunt, not billed as a "psychic miracle!!") "I don't know what that is...weird".

No, the tag-team Thorvir, Cormac, Merc & Shadowsot etc. are going to have to do better with their skeptical investigation.  Otherwise it starts looking like they want you to join their religion with very fuzzy explanations for doing so..

Care to explain WHY you're taking an incomplete image layout and position of technical equipment used for same in its entirety and trying to imply it's something that's not in evidence. That is the real question. 

You've not shown you know enough about production of any kind, post or otherwise, to make that claim. 

Ahh, more p***ing and moaning because you don't know what you're talking about. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 2:02 PM, SSilhouette said:

4.  It isn't obvious that it is a directed heat source.  What is obvious is that the heat sources in people's farts ...lol.. is like a blended plume of equal color.  The anomaly in the OP video has a distinct rainbow boundary with the hottest part in the middle and very clear gradients from there outward.  Even heat would present evenly.  And, the anomaly stretched to behind the psychic's head.  If it was created near the camera, it would stretch to in front of his head.  Between him and the thermal camera.

Thanks for the reply SS.

It's different to the fart (lol) videos. The rainbow IR video (which is fake) is most comparable to the video in your OP.
The fart videos show a concentrated and much changing colour gradient as the fart is expelled as a 3D gas cloud and dissipates quickly into the air.

Your OP video shows a broad colour gradient which stays very uniform, the best and simplest example is of a light being shone on a wall. Brightest in the centre and dim on the outside. A 2D gradient projected onto a 3D (human) or flat (wall) surface.

It is most definitely not showing any kind of 3D heat signature moving between the two people.

Edit: Once again, this really doesn't come close to being any kind of evidence, less so that which would sway a skeptics opinion.

Edited by Timonthy
Addition
  • Like 1

Just a minor point - comparing a LUT to genuine IR imagery as SS is trying to do?   Simply not comparable in anyway.

But further than that, pretending to be knowledgeable about what the gradients represent in a genuine IR video (even if that can be verified), really only shows that the claimant IS pretending.  The gradients and colors depend entirely on how the sensor/camera/postprocessing is all set up.  It *can* be a smooth and accurate almost linear system that shows the gradients accurately, or it can be tuned to be almost on/off in its nature (eg over 30 degrees = black..), or it can be tuned to give more emphasis to certain temperature ranges, or at the 'heel/toe' of the temperature range, using log or other scales, etc ad infinitum...

Without all the data and a full description of the camera setup and a full discussion of the dynamic range and linearity and filtering and .... well, like I said, people (:st, Ssilhouette) shouldn't pretend they know what they are looking at, nor proclaim it's genuine...

• Like 1

I remember that one! I always wondered what was going on there myself, not that I thought it was anything paranormal.

When image processing uses the term gradient they mean something very specific. We can think of the gray scale values of the image as being elevations. The gradient is a measure of the slope at that position. Just as a mountain has a gradient, a slope, the image is assumed to have a slope based on the pixel value and the values of the pixels around it. The wall area has a small gradient meaning that the pixels around any given pixel tend to have the same value. Low gradient areas of an image are without detail. In the case of an IR image a lack of detail is a lack of change in temperature. In the case of an optical image a lack of detail is a lack of change of color or light intensity.

If we look back at the paranormal dog images I posted, the background is black in both and is very even. These is a low gradient area. Note that both LUTs use black for colder areas. The fur away from the face is nearly the same color in both images showing that these areas of low gradient as well.

What is perceived by people as an edge is a place in the image where there is a change in gradient. The gradient does not define the edge, but the derivative of the gradient does. Finding edges is not as simple as that, but it is a starting point in image processing.

• Like 2