Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

OK Skeptics, What is This?

SSilhouette

Another thread inspired this as a topic in itself.  The skeptics here are always insisting on "hard proof".  Well, a thermal camera doesn't lie.  So in this psychic reading from a few years back with the "TAPS" ghost hunters; what is going on with the thing pulling off the top of "Jay"'s upper body and stretching over to the psychic doing the reading?

It looks as if the psychic's ability is to "pull" the spirit of the other person like taffy over to their mind in order to "read" what is there.

EDIT; NOTE: The issue isn't with the credibility of TAPS, but instead with the credibility of thermal cameras.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 3

Nice try, but sorry, no banana.

:no:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, toast said:

Nice try, but sorry, no banana.

:no:

That's a bit of a cop-out.  If it's a fake then explain why.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's a bit of a cop-out.  If it's a fake then explain why.

Thank you.  Yes toast.  Do explain why.

Don't know much about thermal imaging, but due to the many issues of fakers by TAPS, including during a live show, I'm already wary of them. 

• Like 5

Just now, ShadowSot said:

Don't know much about thermal imaging, but due to the many issues of fakers by TAPS, including during a live show, I'm already wary of them. 

The thermal camera and not TAPS is what is at issue here.  Speak to the thermal camera, not TAPS.

Just now, SSilhouette said:

The thermal camera and not TAPS is what is at issue here.  Speak to the thermal camera, not TAPS.

People who are known to produce hoaxes produce a video that purports to prove a claim. 

From watching the show when I was younger, I know they know little about how thermal cameras and larger thermometers work. 

The straightens case example was where they claimed a heat silhouette on the wall was a ghost... when one of the team had been leaning against the very spot just a few moments beforehand. 

• Like 9

I don't have the equipment.  Mess around and play with stuff enough you can come up with all kinds of things, not uncommon.
Now, if something came in from the corner .... or up a set of stairs also a heat signature showing on another cam, eh they'll get to that too given time. Probably see it in the theatre first.FTL.gif

Oh, update, I'm sure there will be some iron clad film coming to this site soon, no I'm not being sarcastic/facesitious however its spelled, facetious ? whew.

Edited by MWoo7

I'm not saying this is real but to just decide "nope" for no reason is as large an act of faith as believing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SSilhouette said:

Another thread inspired this as a topic in itself.  The skeptics here are always insisting on "hard proof".  Well, a thermal camera doesn't lie.  So in this psychic reading from a few years back with the "TAPS" ghost hunters; what is going on with the thing pulling off the top of "Jay"'s upper body and stretching over to the psychic doing the reading?

It looks as if the psychic's ability is to "pull" the spirit of the other person like taffy over to their mind in order to "read" what is there.

EDIT; NOTE: The issue isn't with the credibility of TAPS, but instead with the credibility of thermal cameras.

A good thing with youtube is to READ the comments under a vid....debunks are usually offered right there

Heres one such comment

Clever trick. You'll notice that the thermal change seems to overlap his arm on the chair. The same way that a projected light would do if projected from the other side of the room or a fan assisted heater being directed. It also seems to be projected onto the wall behind his and not actually rising from him. I'm sure that if there was a second camera positioned in a higher position you would see him and the chair cast a shadow. It passes along the wall and behind the second man. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SSilhouette said:

Various measuring equipment used by ghost hunters are designed for specific purposes, such as measuring heat or electromagnetism. Obviously such equipment will detect only those things that emit measurable amounts of those energies. In the case of thermal imaging cameras it would be the heat given off by an object or person. So if we are to buy into your hypothesis, specifically that the fluctuation in the thermal imaging is that of a spirit belonging to a living person, we would have to believe that spirits emit measurable amounts of heat - much the same way a living person does. My question then is, if that is indeed the case, then why wasn't this figured out by science a long time ago?

I'm not an expert when it comes to thermal imaging, but my best guess regarding the anomaly shown in the video is that it could be a thermal reflection of the person. It's not a spirit, and it's certainly not his spirit being manipulated by a psychic.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Clair said:

Various measuring equipment used by ghost hunters are designed for specific purposes, such as measuring heat or electromagnetism. Obviously such equipment will detect only those things that emit measurable amounts of those energies. In the case of thermal imaging cameras it would be the heat given off by an object or person. So if we are to buy into your hypothesis, specifically that the fluctuation in the thermal imaging is that of a spirit belonging to a living person, we would have to believe that spirits emit measurable amounts of heat - much the same way a living person does. My question then is, if that is indeed the case, then why wasn't this figured out by science a long time ago?

I'm not an expert when it comes to thermal imaging, but my best guess regarding the anomaly shown in the video is that it could be a thermal reflection of the person. It's not a spirit, and it's certainly not his spirit being manipulated by a psycic.

A side question to this would be "why, when most 'ghost hunters' claim that spirits/entities/souls/etc. appear to require energy (often in the form of heat) to manifest themselves and in so doing leave a 'cold spot', would such entities instead leave a 'warm spot'? That's the complete opposite.

cormac

• Like 5

I knew someone was going to bring that up.

4 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

'warm spot'? That's the complete opposite.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

What we suppose to see in that footage? I only see bunch of idiots who have no clue 'bout software and hardware they are using. Quite simple.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks Xenofish, holy crapolla I'm in the wrong field, should get into make gizzmo's, para investigating or build some churches real fast ! have to catch the last of the boomers you know.

.. Big business, cripes didn't know it was that big(s what a pope might have said).

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I'm not saying this is real but to just decide "nope" for no reason is as large an act of faith as believing it.

Thank you.  And you are absolutely correct saying that.

42 minutes ago, Clair said:

I'm not an expert when it comes to thermal imaging, but my best guess regarding the anomaly shown in the video is that it could be a thermal reflection of the person. It's not a spirit, and it's certainly not his spirit being manipulated by a psychic.

It has.  It's called Kirlian photography. http://www.lightstalking.com/what-is-kirlian-photography-the-science-and-the-myth-revealed/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

What we suppose to see in that footage? I only see bunch of idiots who have no clue 'bout software and hardware they are using. Quite simple.

If that's the case, then it lends even more credibility to it being an authentic, undoctored video.

Dang it Seeder, spoiling all the fun.

53 minutes ago, seeder said:

A good thing with youtube is to READ the comments under a vid....debunks are usually offered right there

Heres one such comment

Clever trick. You'll notice that the thermal change seems to overlap his arm on the chair. The same way that a projected light would do if projected from the other side of the room or a fan assisted heater being directed. It also seems to be projected onto the wall behind his and not actually rising from him. I'm sure that if there was a second camera positioned in a higher position you would see him and the chair cast a shadow. It passes along the wall and behind the second man. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SSilhouette said:

If that's the case, then it lends even more credibility to it being an authentic, undoctored video.

You can call spanning of temperature range as authentic, I'd call it idiocracy.

• Like 5

I'm going with smarty pants Clair on this one. There's no way thermal cameras were made to detect ghosts...just heat. We don't have proof of spirits let alone knowing what they are made up of, and if they are an energy source that emits heat like we are, then like Clair said, science would be all over it.

I don't get the point about Kirlian photography though. What does that have to do with ghosts?

• Like 5

A thermal camera picking up heat in a room with people in it and they want people to believe its a spirit? This has been debunked pretty easily.. the camera is doing what it is supposed to do.

quite frankly i would say if you were not a skeptic before this....you should be now.

• Like 6

I wouldn't say the video is doctored, but that doesn't mean the effect is psychic phenomena.

For example, seeing as the camera is being held an easy way to fake it might be to place the finger near the lens, the body heat spreading across the lens and throwing off the read. 

Again, TAPs is known to commit fraud. This is a clip from their TV show, where they have been caught committing fraud.

I have watched the show, these guys have multiple cameras. Where's the film from one of the other cameras?

• Like 3