Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SHOES

DobermanPharaoh

i always have issues with shoes. i walk everywhere since i don't know how to drive, and they wear out after a while. like... when it rains, water gets inside them and that isn't pleasant. i had previously purchased 2 pairs of hiking shoes(different brands) and one pair ended up with a crack or something in the sole after a few days, and the other wore down after about a month i think.

my brother convinced me to buy some bates gore-Tex boots, and now i'm having second thoughts 'cause of the up-keep on them. the little booklet that came with them said to use some sort of waxes or something that you purchase from them (bates) to help maintain them, and i don't want any shoes that are gonna be "high maintenance". i still have until some time in November to send 'em back, but i'm unsure of whether to send 'em back for a refund or exchange(they're a size too big).

as of right now, i'm using rain boots my cousin was nice enough to buy for me as well as the previously mentioned hiking shoes.

i guess what i'm asking is, if y'all have any ideas as to what kind of shoes i would be able to use for daily wear since i hate clothes shopping and, while the bates shoes are expensive, i haven't got a lot of money.

any help/recommendations would be appreciated, 'cause i'm at my wits end.

• Like 1

If you want good boots you're going to spend. I only wear steal toe and they last 12 hour shifts over and over. Last pair i had lasted five years of constant wear and tear. Luckily my company paid for them because they were required. They were redwings and the cost at the time was 140us. Most comfortable boot I've worn.

So I'd look into those or carhartt. They're made for punishment. 

I don't what to tell you about getting water in them other than don't walk in puddles.

red wings.... i always giggle when i hear or read that....(sorry, i can't help it)

BUT! i thank you for your time and recommendations. and yes, i realize that i am gonna have to pay if i want something... uhh... "serious". (sturdy?)

erh, well, i generally avoid puddles as best i can, but the water seeps in through the soles or something. even when i'm walking through just grass. :(

i will definitely keep the brands you recommended in mind, as right now i am deciding on what to do about those bates... (also, i apologize if you feel like i wasted your time.)

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Sweetpumper said:

Just learn to drive.

you... did notice the bit where the op said they don't have a lot of money, right?

Get a  nice pair  hikeing  boot they look like work boots but are light like sneakers

say, i just had a thought...

do you guys think that my propping the shoes up in front of a heater to dry the inside of them might have decreased their "life"?

once they stopped "working properly", i had to start drying them out. since they were the only pair of shoes i was really able to wear, i had to dry them out asap, and so i thought a heater might do the trick. and now i wonder if i was wrong...

On 10/18/2016 at 7:26 AM, Sweetpumper said:

You don't need money to learn to drive.

... are you going to teach me? :)

20 hours ago, coolguy said:

Get a  nice pair  hikeing  boot they look like work boots but are light like sneakers

uhh... what brand?

Another option is to get 2-3 pairs of less expensive shoes along with gel insoles.   That way you can wear the shoe best for your walk.   Sneakers for sidewalks or boots for grass and mud.  

that's what i'm doing right now actually. i just put the shoes into a bag, and wear the boots on my way to work. then i change them once i get there.

what uhh... would be the purpose of the insoles? (sorry if that sounds rude, i'm just genuinely curious...)