Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama's Space Weather Order is passed Oct 13

Paranomaly

This new order has a deadline of 120 days for most of its contents. I think this "space weather" is a cover up for what the US government is actually preparing for, and EMP detonation above North America.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/10/13/executive-order-coordinating-efforts-prepare-nation-space-weather-events

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, wasn't sure....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paranomaly said:

This new order has a deadline of 120 days for most of its contents. I think this "space weather" is a cover up for what the US government is actually preparing for, and EMP detonation above North America.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/10/13/executive-order-coordinating-efforts-prepare-nation-space-weather-events

Alternatively it just might be "an executive order to coordinate efforts to prepare the nation for space weather events" ?

You know like it says in the headline. :rolleyes:

Does everything have to be a conspiracy ?

Spoiler

(Hint: the clue is in my username)

• Like 5

Where it goes depends on what is supposed to be discussed in this thread.  I can't really see how an EMP detonation, or plans to prepare for one, are connected to politics.

Also, why wouldn't the U.S. government call a plan to protect against an EMP blast "The Plan To Protect Against EMP Blasts"?  They've got plans for all sorts of contingencies (and I would be surprised if they didn't have one of these in place for several decades now).  Why keep it a secret?

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1

Obama is a political figure, he passed an order to prepare for space weather. The space weather talked about in the order could take down the power grid, an EMP can take down the power grid, either way it's a threat to Americas security. So its political in nature, and the "EMP" is in my opinion, the reason for this move. 

• Like 1

Aquatus, did you read the order? The shear amount of work that is spread across a wide variety of utilities is including hospitals, communications, nuclear power plants etc. The order states that America is to be ready for a power grid failure within 120 days from Oct. 13. That's a ton of logistical work for a "space weather" event that may or may not happen. My issue here is the deadline. If it were just a precaution to a solar flare, or magnetic disruption from space weather. Then why the scary deadline. Do they no of an impending massive space weather event. Or do they know a foreign country with capabilities to cause the same type of damage. We aren't in a peaceful time, the timing of this order seems fitting with current events.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paranomaly said:

Obama is a political figure, he passed an order to prepare for space weather. The space weather talked about in the order could take down the power grid, an EMP can take down the power grid, either way it's a threat to Americas security. So its political in nature, and the "EMP" is in my opinion, the reason for this move. 

Volcanos destroy many lives, bombs also destroy many lives. Therefore volcanos are actually a cover for bombs.

• Like 1

Rlyeh, that particular response you quoted was to the mods so they could move this to the correct forum. It's not my main talking point. Read the order please. I really would appreciate some honest feedback. 

Well... Isis has been accused of studying our power grids..

Why wouldnt a worthy opponent start there? Deadline is a lil spooky... 

Hard to get government moving that fast

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paranomaly said:

Why do you think that?

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Why do you think that?

The shear amount of work that is spread across a wide variety of utilities is including hospitals, communications, nuclear power plants etc. The order states that America is to be ready for a power grid failure within 120 days from Oct. 13. That's a ton of logistical work for a "space weather" event that may or may not happen. My issue here is the deadline. If it were just a precaution to a solar flare, or magnetic disruption from space weather. Then why the scary deadline. Do they no of an impending massive space weather event. Or do they know a foreign country with capabilities to cause the same type of damage. We aren't in a peaceful time, the timing of this order seems fitting with current events.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paranomaly said:

The shear amount of work that is spread across a wide variety of utilities is including hospitals, communications, nuclear power plants etc. The order states that America is to be ready for a power grid failure within 120 days from Oct. 13. That's a ton of logistical work for a "space weather" event that may or may not happen. My issue here is the deadline. If it were just a precaution to a solar flare, or magnetic disruption from space weather. Then why the scary deadline. Do they no of an impending massive space weather event. Or do they know a foreign country with capabilities to cause the same type of damage. We aren't in a peaceful time, the timing of this order seems fitting with current events.

Okay. I see your point now even though I don't agree. I thought that you were implying that the US government was preparing an EMP event, not preparing for an EMP event.

• Like 2

Also why is counterterrorism even used in the order? Is ISIS controlling space weather events?

Sec. 3. Coordination. (a) The Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), in consultation with the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), shall coordinate the development and implementation of Federal Government activities to prepare the Nation for space weather events, including the activities established in section 5 of this order and the recommendations of the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC), established by Executive Order 12881 of November 23, 1993 (Establishment of the National Science and Technology Council).

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Okay. I see your point now even though I don't agree. I thought that you were implying that the US government was preparing an EMP event, not preparing for an EMP event.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

This section states we will deploys devices that mitigate geomagnetic disburances. Within 120 days. That's not going to be cheap or easy. A lot of trouble for a "might" happen weather event.

Sec. 5. Implementation. (a) Within 120 days of the date of this order, the Secretary of Energy, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, shall develop a plan to test and evaluate available devices that mitigate the effects of geomagnetic disturbances on the electrical power grid through the development of a pilot program that deploys such devices, in situ, in the electrical power grid. After the development of the plan, the Secretary shall implement the plan in collaboration with industry. In taking action pursuant to this subsection, the Secretaries of Energy and Homeland Security shall consult with the Chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

• Like 1

Hmm.. I recall during my time in the air force, around 2000, there was talk of moving much of the mission critical circuits to a hardened facility actually pretty well known.. Not easily accessed to gen pop.

I believe strongly that it happened, on the record I cannot comment. 

Intriguing, to say the least. We can speculate, but at this point from my perspective it is more than a little unnerving..

There are real world ways of protecting your transportation at least, I personally recommend researching and employing these fairly inexpensive hacks.

Oh btw, 460th comm squadron, space command.

• Like 1

Now here's the best evidence of this not being prep for a space weather event. Straight from NASA.. 

http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/spaceweather.htm

Its one page long, please read. 

Solar flares produce high energy particles and radiation that are dangerous to living organisms. However, at the surface of the Earth we are well protected from the effects of solar flares and other solar activity by the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere. The most dangerous emissions from flares are energetic charged particles (primarily high-energy protons) and electromagnetic radiation (primarily x-rays).

The x-rays from flares are stopped by our atmosphere well above the Earth's surface. They do disturb the Earth's ionosphere, however, which in turn disturbs some radio communications. Along with energetic ultraviolet radiation, they heat the Earth’s outer atmosphere, causing it to expand. This increases the drag on Earth-orbiting satellites, reducing their lifetime in orbit. Also, both intense radio emission from flares and these changes in the atmosphere can degrade the precision of Global Positioning System (GPS) measurements.

The energetic particles produced at the Sun in flares seldom reach the Earth. When they do, the Earth's magnetic field prevents almost all of them from reaching the Earth's surface. The small number of very high energy particles that does reach the surface does not significantly increase the level of radiation that we experience every day.

The most serious effects on human activity occur during major geomagnetic storms. It is now understood that the major geomagnetic storms are induced by coronal mass ejections (CMEs). Coronal mass ejections are usually associated with flares, but sometimes no flare is observed when they occur. Like flares, CMEs are more frequent during the active phase of the Sun's approximately 11 year cycle. The last maximum in solar activity, the maximum of the current solar cycle, was in April, 2014. 

Coronal mass ejections are more likely to have a significant effect on our activities than flares because they carry more material into a larger volume of interplanetary space, increasing the likelihood that they will interact with the Earth. While a flare alone produces high-energy particles near the Sun, some of which escape into interplanetary space, a CME drives a shock wave which can continuously produce energetic particles as it propagates through interplanetary space. When a CME reaches the Earth, its impact disturbs the Earth's magnetosphere, setting off a geomagnetic storm. A CME typically takes 3 to 5 days to reach the Earth after it leaves the Sun. Observing the ejection of CMEs from the Sun provides an early warning of geomagnetic storms. Only recently, with SOHO, has it been possible to continuously observe the emission of CMEs from the Sun and determine if they are aimed at the Earth.

One serious problem that can occur during a geomagnetic storm is damage to Earth-orbiting satellites, especially those in high, geosynchronous orbits. Communications satellites are generally in these high orbits. Either the satellite becomes highly charged during the storm and a component is damaged by the high current that discharges into the satellite, or a component is damaged by high-energy particles that penetrate the satellite. We are not able to predict when and where a satellite in a high orbit may be damaged during a geomagnetic storm.

Astronauts on the Space Station are not in immediate danger because of the relatively low orbit of this manned mission. They do have to be concerned about cumulative exposure during space walks. The energetic particles from a flare or CME would be dangerous to an astronaut on a mission to the Moon or Mars, however. 

Another major problem that has occurred during geomagnetic storms has been the temporary loss of electrical power over a large region. The best known case of this occurred in 1989 in Quebec. High currents in the magnetosphere induce high currents in power lines, blowing out electric transformers and power stations. This is most likely to happen at high latitudes, where the induced currents are greatest, and in regions having long power lines and where the ground is poorly conducting. 

These are the most serious problems that have occurred as a result of short-term solar activity and the resulting geomagnetic storms. A positive aspect of geomagnetic storms, from an aesthetic point of view, is that the Earth's aurorasare enhanced. 

The damage to satellites and power grids can be very expensive and disruptive. Fortunately, this kind of damage is not frequent. Geomagnetic storms are more disruptive now than in the past because of our greater dependence on technical systems that can be affected by electric currents and energetic particles high in the Earth's magnetosphere. 

Could a solar flare or CME be large enough to cause a nation-wide or planet-wide cataclysm? It is, of course, impossible to give a definitive answer to this question, but no such event is known to have occurred in the past and there is no evidence that the Sun could initiate such an event.

How is it connected to politics? This is a conspiracy?

Are you guys reading the same thing as me? Its an executive order from the whitehouse. For one ehat does that have to do with conspiracies? 

By the way this is wonderful news im glad obama is taking the initiative to protect us from becoming a third world country overnight. Preparedness is something our government usually lacks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

How is it connected to politics? This is a conspiracy?

Are you guys reading the same thing as me? Its an executive order from the whitehouse. For one ehat does that have to do with conspiracies? 

By the way this is wonderful news im glad obama is taking the initiative to protect us from becoming a third world country overnight. Preparedness is something our government usually lacks.

This is from NASA stating space weather is not a threat. But in 120 days we are supposed to be fully prepared for such an event. If space weather isn't a threat why are we going to spend so much time and money on it?

Solar flares produce high energy particles and radiation that are dangerous to living organisms. However, at the surface of the Earth we are well protected from the effects of solar flares and other solar activity by the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere. The most dangerous emissions from flares are energetic charged particles (primarily high-energy protons) and electromagnetic radiation (primarily x-rays).

The x-rays from flares are stopped by our atmosphere well above the Earth's surface. They do disturb the Earth's ionosphere, however, which in turn disturbs some radio communications. Along with energetic ultraviolet radiation, they heat the Earth’s outer atmosphere, causing it to expand. This increases the drag on Earth-orbiting satellites, reducing their lifetime in orbit. Also, both intense radio emission from flares and these changes in the atmosphere can degrade the precision of Global Positioning System (GPS) measurements.

The energetic particles produced at the Sun in flares seldom reach the Earth. When they do, the Earth's magnetic field prevents almost all of them from reaching the Earth's surface. The small number of very high energy particles that does reach the surface does not significantly increase the level of radiation that we experience every day.

The most serious effects on human activity occur during major geomagnetic storms. It is now understood that the major geomagnetic storms are induced by coronal mass ejections (CMEs). Coronal mass ejections are usually associated with flares, but sometimes no flare is observed when they occur. Like flares, CMEs are more frequent during the active phase of the Sun's approximately 11 year cycle. The last maximum in solar activity, the maximum of the current solar cycle, was in April, 2014. 

Coronal mass ejections are more likely to have a significant effect on our activities than flares because they carry more material into a larger volume of interplanetary space, increasing the likelihood that they will interact with the Earth. While a flare alone produces high-energy particles near the Sun, some of which escape into interplanetary space, a CME drives a shock wave which can continuously produce energetic particles as it propagates through interplanetary space. When a CME reaches the Earth, its impact disturbs the Earth's magnetosphere, setting off a geomagnetic storm. A CME typically takes 3 to 5 days to reach the Earth after it leaves the Sun. Observing the ejection of CMEs from the Sun provides an early warning of geomagnetic storms. Only recently, with SOHO, has it been possible to continuously observe the emission of CMEs from the Sun and determine if they are aimed at the Earth.

One serious problem that can occur during a geomagnetic storm is damage to Earth-orbiting satellites, especially those in high, geosynchronous orbits. Communications satellites are generally in these high orbits. Either the satellite becomes highly charged during the storm and a component is damaged by the high current that discharges into the satellite, or a component is damaged by high-energy particles that penetrate the satellite. We are not able to predict when and where a satellite in a high orbit may be damaged during a geomagnetic storm.

Astronauts on the Space Station are not in immediate danger because of the relatively low orbit of this manned mission. They do have to be concerned about cumulative exposure during space walks. The energetic particles from a flare or CME would be dangerous to an astronaut on a mission to the Moon or Mars, however. 

Another major problem that has occurred during geomagnetic storms has been the temporary loss of electrical power over a large region. The best known case of this occurred in 1989 in Quebec. High currents in the magnetosphere induce high currents in power lines, blowing out electric transformers and power stations. This is most likely to happen at high latitudes, where the induced currents are greatest, and in regions having long power lines and where the ground is poorly conducting. 

These are the most serious problems that have occurred as a result of short-term solar activity and the resulting geomagnetic storms. A positive aspect of geomagnetic storms, from an aesthetic point of view, is that the Earth's aurorasare enhanced. 

The damage to satellites and power grids can be very expensive and disruptive. Fortunately, this kind of damage is not frequent. Geomagnetic storms are more disruptive now than in the past because of our greater dependence on technical systems that can be affected by electric currents and energetic particles high in the Earth's magnetosphere. 

Could a solar flare or CME be large enough to cause a nation-wide or planet-wide cataclysm? It is, of course, impossible to give a definitive answer to this question, but no such event is known to have occurred in the past and there is no evidence that the Sun could initiate such an event.

4 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Alternatively it just might be "an executive order to coordinate efforts to prepare the nation for space weather events" ?

You know like it says in the headline. :rolleyes:

Does everything have to be a conspiracy ?

Reveal hidden contents

(Hint: the clue is in my username)

Straight from NASA. Stating space weather is not as big of a deal as this order is making it out to be. http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/spaceweather.htm

3 hours ago, Paranomaly said:

This section states we will deploys devices that mitigate geomagnetic disburances. Within 120 days. That's not going to be cheap or easy. A lot of trouble for a "might" happen weather event.

Sec. 5. Implementation. (a) Within 120 days of the date of this order, the Secretary of Energy, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, shall develop a plan to test and evaluate available devices that mitigate the effects of geomagnetic disturbances on the electrical power grid through the development of a pilot program that deploys such devices, in situ, in the electrical power grid. After the development of the plan, the Secretary shall implement the plan in collaboration with industry. In taking action pursuant to this subsection, the Secretaries of Energy and Homeland Security shall consult with the Chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Actually, there has been a concerted effort ongoing by a small group of concerned citizens in DC to implement just such an order.  They are NOT Obama fans.  They have studied the possible catastrophe that would certainly follow a widespread EMP/CME event.  I assume that the military already has hardened assets - hopefully enough - but nationwide we are almost completely vulnerable.  We've known the dangers since the 40's so why hasn't anyone made the efforts?  Money, as usual. I am surprised AND pleased that he has taken this step.  Hopefully, there is nothing nefarious or even worrying behind it.  I think I will put together a simple Faraday cage for my laptop, radios and some burner phones.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

I can't really see how an EMP detonation, or plans to prepare for one, are connected to politics.

Well, since that would hardly be a natural event, someone would have to be responsible for it, and that would surely come under the umbrella of politics.

• Like 3