Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syrian rebels seize Dabiq

bmk1245

Syrian rebels seize symbolically important Dabiq from Islamic State

Syrian rebels backed by Turkey captured the symbolically important village of Dabiq in northwestern Syria from Islamic State early on Sunday after clashes, Ahmed Osman, head of the Sultan Murad rebel group and a war monitor said.

The rebels also captured Dabiq's neighboring village of Soran, Osman and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. Dabiq is named in an apocalyptic Islamic prophesy as the site of a final battle between Muslims and infidels.

Reuters

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

It turned out to only be "apocalyptic" for ISIS.. who'd'a thunk it?

Not sure if that's the end of it for the rebels ... if they won't work with Assad and Russia I don't think this is the end of Dabiq's problems ~

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

Not sure if that's the end of it for the rebels ... if they won't work with Assad and Russia I don't think this is the end of Dabiq's problems ~

I think that unless the various militias find some reason to put aside their deeply held differences, what was Syria will only be a cluster of militarized cantons.  Russia can stop Assad's removal but they cannot control the whole country through force of arms.  Hopefully, those in Dabiq who want to get out can now do it.  I feel particularly bad for those thousands who may die or be maimed as ISIS is pulled out of Mosul like a rotten tooth.  It could really be bloody and I think ISIS has shown they like that just fine.  The UN should begin pressing Putin, Obama, Merkel, and Hollande, et al to begin emergency construction of sufficient shelter in the north of Syria along the Turkish border for the tens of thousands of refugees that they KNOW will be on the move as soon as they are allowed.

• Like 1

I've read that the Turkish-backed rebels include the ''Levant Front'' a group of radical islamists.

I'm not sure what is there to rejoice here. Are they really better than ISIS or just slightly less worse?

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

yeah --- whoopie ---- one terrorist / invader group has been replaced by another terrorist / invader group -
who are backed by a would be invader / land grabbing NATO member - bet the Syrian people are happy
about that - not -

quote from the OP -

The rebels, backed by Turkish tanks and warplanes, took Dabiq and neighboring Soran after clashes on Sunday morning, said Ahmed Osman, head of the Sultan Murad group, one of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) factions involved in the fighting.

info about the Sultan Murad group -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Murad_Division

On 25 October 2013, the Sultan Murad Brigade shelled a

monastery in Aleppo.[11]

The Sultan Murad Division is one of the rebel groups involved in the shelling of the Aleppo neighborhood ofSheikh Maqsood, killing dozens of civilians from November 2015 to March 2016. Some of the group's fighters also uploaded a video of them torturing prisoners from the Army of Revolutionaries in February 2016.

• Like 1

Mercenaries of the sort that is the best money can buy ... or the worse that fits the purpose for the price ...

~

• Like 2

On 10/17/2016 at 11:06 AM, third_eye said:

Mercenaries of the sort that is the best money can buy ... or the worse that fits the purpose for the price ...

~

In this economy, you take what you can get!  I wonder if they get a per diem on ammo?

52 minutes ago, and then said:

In this economy, you take what you can get!  I wonder if they get a per diem on ammo?

Pick your favorite :

Syrian rebels say they receive more weapons for Aleppo battle | Reuters

uk.reuters.com/.../us-mideast-crisis-syria-aleppo-idUKKCN0SD16O20151019
Reuters

Oct 19, 2015 - Syrian rebels say they receive more weapons for Aleppo battle. left. right ... in the FSA-affiliated Sultan Murad group fighting in the Aleppo area.

~

There are a lot of CIA-vetted Syrian rebel groups ... - Business Insider

www.businessinsider.com/cia-vetted-syrian-rebels-fighting-assad-201...
Business Insider

Oct 20, 2015 - These weapons have helped decimate Syrian armor and pushed a recent regime offensive ... Sultan Murad Brigade (Liwa' Sultan Murad).

~

Syria Rebels advance in Aleppo - Al-Monitor

www.al-monitor.com/.../syria-aleppo-handarat-strategic-turkey-oppositio...
Al‑Monitor

Mar 12, 2015 - Rebel fighters of Al-Sultan Murad Brigade take positions inside a ... aim their weapons at the front line in the Handarat area, north of Aleppo, March 1, 2015. ... from al-Jabha al-Shamia, the largest opposition group in Syria.

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

Pick your favorite :

I'll pass.  I have enough to worry about, what with having those responsible for such decisions about to be firmly reseated in power for another 4 years, but I take your point.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 10:23 AM, bee said:

yeah --- whoopie ---- one terrorist / invader group has been replaced by another terrorist / invader group -
who are backed by a would be invader / land grabbing NATO member - bet the Syrian people are happy
about that - not -

quote from the OP -

The rebels, backed by Turkish tanks and warplanes, took Dabiq and neighboring Soran after clashes on Sunday morning, said Ahmed Osman, head of the Sultan Murad group, one of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) factions involved in the fighting.

info about the Sultan Murad group -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Murad_Division

Right, and islamists who are fighting on the side of Assad and Russkies are white and fluffy...

BTW, guess who said "Kill as many Russians, as you can, and you'll get to haven"?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Right, and islamists who are fighting on the side of Assad and Russkies are white and fluffy...

Let's not bury our heads in the sand though. Hezbollah is the paramilitary wing of a political party concerned with Lebanon.

The rebels in Syria are salafists, an ultra-fundamentalist movement that wants to throw the whole region back in a medieval-style era.

Salafism is the ideology behind terrorist groups such as Al-Qaeda, ISIS and Boko Haram. It's a spin-off of 'Wahhabism' exported from SA.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

2 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Hezbollah is the paramilitary wing of a political party concerned with Lebanon.

The Hezbollah was born from Iran to harass and eventually destroy Israel.  It is funded by Iran and Nasrallah dances to the Mullah's tune, whatever that tune may be.  It's rather comforting to see them dying in such numbers while fighting those of the same faith but different warlords.

On 17 October 2016 at 4:43 PM, TruthSeeker_ said:

I've read that the Turkish-backed rebels include the ''Levant Front'' a group of radical islamists.

I'm not sure what is there to rejoice here. Are they really better than ISIS or just slightly less worse?

When i read your slightly worse statement i was reminded of the "moderate" Islamists one that was used to describe those also slightly nicer than ISIS. So i guess they're one and the same. 

23 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

BTW, guess who said "Kill as many Russians, as you can, and you'll get to haven"?

You..?

:innocent:

1 hour ago, bee said:

You..?

:innocent:

You wish... Nope, that has been said by jihadist Akhmat Kadyrov, whom later Putler made the head of Chechen republic...

18 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

You wish... Nope, that has been said by jihadist Akhmat Kadyrov, whom later Putler made the head of Chechen republic...

ahhhhhh of course - that name was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't think of anyone who hates Russians
more than you at that moment ---- :P ---- maybe you, like Kadyrov, will switch sides one day ---- :D

anyway - all in all what happened is positive testimony to the political and peace-making skills of Putin, I think -

https://heatst.com/life/russia-names-bridge-after-chechen-warlord-who-killed-lots-of-russians-and-then-befriended-putin/

When Putin became president of Russia, he won over the elder Kadyrov with the promise of giving Chechnya a special status over other Russian Republics. He did played a crucial role in securing peace between Russian and Chechnya after defecting to the Russian side.

In 2004, a Chechen rebel group assassinated him for defecting to Moscow. (In the picture above, the father is in front, and the son behind him.)

Now, Akhmad-Hadji Kadyrov is finally getting his due for killing Russians and then switching sides: Russia’s second largest city, St. Petersburg, has named a bridge after him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bee said:

[...] maybe you, like Kadyrov, will switch sides one day [...]

Only when hell freezes over...