Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scrap science, start over:

Hanslune

7 hours ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Well, physics really is kind of a mess, in the sense that instead of giving us a coherent description of the world, it gives us two utterly incompatible descriptions - the standard model and general relativity - both of which explain everything (at least in principle) and neither of which leaves any room for the other. The kicker is that both descriptions work, to the limits of observation.

So something is amiss; but I don't think acting on the young woman's suggestion would improve matters greatly.

This "bit of a mess" thing is to be celebrated though. It's what makes the field exciting.

Let's not mourn because everything hasn't been explained.

Besides, there are several theories that connect GR and QM. In fact, a few inroads have been made in that direction recently.

The problem is, the deeper you delve, the more complex the problem gets. We're at a point where, even if we come up with a "correct" theory connecting both realms, we are in a position where it's damn near impossible to come up with an experiment that could confirm such a theory.

Harte

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harte said:

The problem is, the deeper you delve, the more complex the problem gets. We're at a point where, even if we come up with a "correct" theory connecting both realms, we are in a position where it's damn near impossible to come up with an experiment that could confirm such a theory.

Read my book. Seriously. It's at Kindle and you can read it for free if you have Kindle unlimited; otherwise, $2.98. Or e-mail me at <pfporlock@gmail.com> and I'll send you a copy of the file.

One neat thing about it is that the 'experiment' to prove the theory is one we live every day.

• Like 1