Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Patent for second-generation EmDrive revealed

UM-Bot

Sorry about this lame attempt at humour, but I can't help wondering if this all a NASA April fool joke, or something - you know what those whacky fun-lovin sciency folk are like. I mean, the guy's name is Shawyer? (turn that W over..), and this is of course related to the Cannae drive.  The Cannae drive cannae work, if'n ye ask me, och aye the noo...

More seriously, what I am seeing about Shawyer's history and attempts to set up corporations and fund-raise, is just a little concerning...  And some of the text they use as allegedly scientific reporting, is word salad / gibberish much more worthy of a tinfoilhat site.  I think NASA are quite rightly trying to gently distance themselves...

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I see where you are going now :tu: I would be surprised if they had not done something like that already though. 

Don't ever assume when really, really smart people are involved. The common sense solution to problems often elude them as they try to gather data by esoteric methods.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Don't ever assume when really, really smart people are involved. The common sense solution to problems often elude them as they try to gather data by esoteric methods.

You are correct, they did not do that specific test, they used a pendulum to measure thrust but they did replace the electrical load with an RF one to see if the same result was found, and it was not, which is pretty sound I would think.

Approximately 30-50 micro-Newtons of thrust were recorded from an electric propulsion test article consisting primarily of a radio frequency (RF) resonant cavity excited at approximately 935 megahertz. Testing was performed on a low-thrust torsion pendulum that is capable of detecting force at a single-digit micronewton level, within a stainless steel vacuum chamber with the door closed but at ambient atmospheric pressure. Several different test configurations were used, including two different test articles as well as a reversal of the test article orientation. In addition, the test article was replaced by an RF load to verify that the force was not being generated by effects not associated with the test article. The two test articles were designed by Cannae LLC of Doylestown, Pennsylvania. The torsion pendulum was designed, built, and operated by Eagleworks Laboratories at the NASA Johnson Space Center of Houston, Texas. Approximately six days of test integration were required, followed by two days of test operations, during which, technical issues were discovered and resolved. Integration of the two test articles and their supporting equipment was performed in an iterative fashion between the test bench and the vacuum chamber. In other words, the test article was tested on the bench, then moved to the chamber, then moved back as needed to resolve issues. Manual frequency control was required throughout the test. Thrust was observed on both test articles, even though one of the test articles was designed with the expectation that it would not produce thrust.

LINK - Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum

The parts to get excited about is there are claims this has been peer reviewed, and that is might be tested in space in perhaps as little as six months. 

• Like 1