Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Nessie's cousin help to win WWI?

Black Monk

As we've learned elsewhere the first source which so far could be tracked down was Sweeney's "Sea Monsters - A collection of eyewitness accounts". He wrote as citation from Krech: "Every man on watch began firing a sidearm at the beast. It had a hold on the forward gun mount and would not turn loose." So as far as I understand this sentences (English is my second language) and in view that Krech described before that the beast climbed aboard, they're indeed used hand guns. The arms of the creature are not mentioned in any way btw.

• 1 month later...

It clearly states that small arms fire was used to scare off the creature. It does not however mention anything about the creature having 'small arms' or ANY arms for that matter. As for so called eyewitness accounts they tend not to be reliable even in the court of law and people tend to make their stories more exciting by adding to to it. English is also my second language and read and write in my native language as well as English.

• Like 1

Krech died either in May 1918 (War diary UB-85) or March 1919 (www.ubootarchiv.de/ubootwiki/index.php?Günther_Krech&oldid=35449) as war prisoner. As far as I was able to find out the British press only sparly mentioned the incident months later as Mr Peat was honoured. Not one sentence about a sea monster and even in war times, the press don't hesitated to do so. So the only further source for Mr Sweeney I theoretically can think of could be either the war diary of the ship which rescued Krech or a report he gave to someone during his few months of enprisonment. While the latter is a needle in a haystack, the first is also problematically as Sweeney named the HMS Valororus. I can't find a ship of that name, just a HMS Valorous. So the next questions arise at this point, for example if Sweeney just made a literal error, if this is a invented ship etc. pp.

All in all the last "original source" was Sweeney in 1977 and therefore a sailor's yarn seems most probably.

23 hours ago, minera said:

It clearly states that small arms fire was used to scare off the creature. It does not however mention anything about the creature having 'small arms' or ANY arms for that matter. As for so called eyewitness accounts they tend not to be reliable even in the court of law and people tend to make their stories more exciting by adding to to it. English is also my second language and read and write in my native language as well as English.

This is how much people love a sea monster. They mention giant squid and kraken, and people take sidearms to mean small arms. 

It's kinda like what happens at Loch Ness when people see what is clearly just a pole in the water, and they imagine it has a head. 

Just to say that the original article did mention the creatures' arms. This was a quote I pulled from it.

Under questioning by British forces he went on to describe how the ship's gunners fired at the mysterious creature's arms

It can still be sen at the original article from 'The Sun'

https://www.************/news/2006457/did-loch-nesss-saltwater-cousin-join-the-british-war-effort-by-sinking-german-u-boat-ub-85-in-1918/ 

Which I believe was the original source quoted, but I may be wrong. I believe the reason it changed to the more coherent version from 'The Telegraph' is because this site, as the asterisks in the url show, no longer allows links from there. 

Edited by oldrover