Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curious Tilt of the Sun Traced to Planet 9

Waspie_Dwarf

Curious Tilt of the Sun Traced to Undiscovered Planet

Planet Nine—the undiscovered planet at the edge of the Solar System that was predicted by the work of Caltech's Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown in January 2016—appears to be responsible for the unusual tilt of the sun, according to a new study.

The large and distant planet may be adding a wobble to the solar system, giving the appearance that the sun is tilted slightly.

"Because Planet Nine is so massive and has an orbit tilted compared to the other planets, the solar system has no choice but to slowly twist out of alignment," says Elizabeth Bailey, a graduate student at Caltech and lead author of a study announcing the discovery.

arrow3.gif  Read More: California Institute of Technology

• Like 3

I've heard nothing of this "planet 9" before now.  Is it the same body that is variously called Niburu or planet X?  I don't mean to spoof your thread, I genuinely don't know.  My wife is greatly interested in the aforementioned and I've never understood how such a massive body could be only "observed" indirectly by it's gravitational contortions on other bodies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

I've heard nothing of this "planet 9" before now.  Is it the same body that is variously called Niburu or planet X?  I don't mean to spoof your thread, I genuinely don't know.  My wife is greatly interested in the aforementioned and I've never understood how such a massive body could be only "observed" indirectly by it's gravitational contortions on other bodies.  

No. Nibiru planet is Sitchin's invention. Any planet like that would affect the orbits of the inner planets.

Hummm; very, very, very interesting... 

It's an awesome thing when you find the puzzle pieces that fit just right.  Some fascinating quotes from the article:

• "It continues to amaze us; every time we look carefully we continue to find that Planet Nine explains something about the solar system that had long been a mystery," says Batygin, an assistant professor of planetary science.
  • Planet Nine's unusual orbit, however, adds a multi-billion-year wobble to that system. Mathematically, given the hypothesized size and distance of Planet Nine, a six-degree tilt fits perfectly, Brown says.

I wonder what they'll name this Planet 9?

It's got to be pretty large whatever it is. Something seems to be out there.

Edited by Skulduggery

3 hours ago, Skulduggery said:

It's got to be pretty large whatever it is.

The experts seem to think it's about the size of Neptune. 

• Like 2

Ryleh i have seen quit a few articles here about the search. I believe the search first started based on the peturbation of the outer planets orbits. (yes i made that word up but its the one i needed lol)

I mean who cares if they call it niburu or not? Will it make you feel better to say sitchen was a liar because it's name is planet 9?

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The experts seem to think it's about the size of Neptune. 

Waspie,  Wouldn't the planet have to have a higher mass than Neptune to affect the Sun from that far away?  It be affecting the orbits of other planets, too, shouldn't it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If it's Planet X that means I can finally go home.

Remember to pack extra undies ... :yes:

~

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chris1888 said:

Anyone know why we cant see a planet in our own solar system but we have telescopes that can see planets on other solar systems.

I'm no expert, and I believe that in this instance it has to do with how "planet nine" most of its orbit is positioned behind the sun and outside of the range that we can see. There be a whole lot of vastness out there in space to be looking at.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chris1888 said:

Anyone know why we cant see a planet in our own solar system but we have telescopes that can see planets on other solar systems.

We haven't been able to "see" planets in other solar systems. We have only been able to infer them by either a) observing their gravitational effect on their sun by creating a tiny wobble, or b ) observing a slight dimming of their sun as they pass in front of it.

The problem with observing an object within our own system so far away is there is little to no light reflecting off it. Finding an object that dim in the vast area beyond our known planet's orbits (even a massive one) is going to take a lot of patience and more than a little luck.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 3:05 AM, Rlyeh said:

No. Nibiru planet is Sitchin's invention. Any planet like that would affect the orbits of the inner planets.

like exact what the article and research says 

On 10/20/2016 at 3:02 PM, and then said:

This might be is some help:

LINK - Planet Nine' Can't Hide Much Longer, Scientists Say

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 3:14 AM, Nnicolette said:

Ryleh i have seen quit a few articles here about the search. I believe the search first started based on the peturbation of the outer planets orbits. (yes i made that word up but its the one i needed lol)

I mean who cares if they call it niburu or not? Will it make you feel better to say sitchen was a liar because it's name is planet 9?

It does seem prudent to separate reality from Fantasy here. 

15 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

like exact what the article and research says 

Says no such thing. Maybe you'd like to quote the article?

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 1:12 AM, XenoFish said:

If it's Planet X that means I can finally go home.

Planet IX surely...    ;)