Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First cemetery for ATHEISTS

seeder

4 hours ago, Podo said:

The article implies that their awe is primitive. This suggests to me that it is not the same kind of developed conceptual awe of a human.

Mild anguish is totally a thing, I would think. Adjectives, yo. 

I often suffer from  very low level astonishment  reading some posts here . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Podo said:

Fair fight? You're stomping your feet and asserting that your opinion is on even footing with accepted scientific principles, like you do in every thread lately. There is no fight, there is simply a guy who thinks his opinions are worth more than facts. Spoiler: that guy is you. If you want to make this a "fair" discussion, then participate. Bring facts and data to the conversation to back up your points, or start a new thread that is solely concerned with opinion. Right now though, you're bringing a stick to a swordfight. 

Whoa  Podo  !     How can I let pass .... with my background ?  

• Like 1

Thread cleaned

Enough with the personal attacks please.

On 10/22/2016 at 6:42 AM, rashore said:

However, I think it would depend on where a new atheist/devoid denominational cemetery opened what the public reaction would be. It might be questionable if it's considered unreasonable or not if a new cemetery ran with "no religious icons at all" as one of their rules. But easy enough to simply skip any mentioning of any religious anything and go with different types of rules instead... Like a "you name and dates only" rule for flush grave markers. Or a "live plantings only" rule. And if it was in a high non-religion area, people probably wouldn't care or even might welcome such a cemetery. If it was in a highly religious area, people would likely protest it.

I agree. It would depend on if it was a private or public cemetery. Though if it was public, or used public funds, I'd say it would be hard to keep out religious symbology. 

Really, if you think about it, there are no "high non-religion areas" in the US. In every town/city that I've been in, there is an obvious religious presence in the form of churches/temples/shrines/mosques and such. I guess I'll look into it and see if there are any places in the US with, say, a 66% or greater of non-religious.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 7:27 AM, White Unicorn said:

I know of many types of cemeteries here in the US. The ones closest to me include township types with all denominations or lack of denominations. There are historical ones with soldiers and their kin.  There is a  Freemasonry cemetery that also lets in all denominations or lack of one, but  the main denomination there is United Methodist. There is an all denomination which is probably the most popular here, there are large  Catholic, Protestant, Jewish Sections,  a Potter's field for the  poor with state paid internment and a newer section for those of misc or with no faith.  It's a cover all for all types of town people and really is elaborate with musoleums, memorial markers and has scrubs and trees allowed. Then of course many of the local churches and one old synagogue have their own cemeteries packed to the max.

I suppose the point would be that those cemeteries allow for whatever you like, and the proposed "atheist" cemetery would ban specific symbols on any markers. If one of those cemeteries banned, say, the Jewish Star of David, but allowed other marker symbols, I think you'd have a lawsuit on their hands. Banning all religious symbols isn't any better, unless the cemetery is completely private in nature.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 8:14 AM, back to earth said:

P f f f t t  ..... I seen cows transfixed by a beautiful sunset .        Who the hell knows what a 'precursor to a religious construct is '  ? 

I never thought much of Jane  ..... until this       :D  

http://www.inquisitr.com/3630379/jane-goodall-donald-trump-analysis/

LOL, that is hilarious :tu: