Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First cemetery for ATHEISTS

seeder

Sweden opens its first cemetery for ATHEISTS because the majority of the population do not believe in God

Neutral burial place is in Borlange and people are signing up to rest there
    People of faith are allowed to be buried in the cemetery but they will not be able to have religious symbols or marks of religion on their headstones
    Sweden has second-highest number of non-religious people in the world

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3857132/Sweden-opens-cemetery-ATHEISTS.html#ixzz4NhCkTtjW

• Like 3

Now that is resting in peace! Not even any afterlife door knockers!! 

• Like 4

Now that's funny.   If they are right, they'll never know it.  If they are wrong, they may have to be aware of it for eternity.  But I can understand the feeling, I guess.  It's one last poke at those annoying people of faith.  It reminds me a little of a quip I saw that was attributed to a Marine in Vietnam.  He had a zippo lighter that said, "If I die in Vietnam, bury me face down, so the whole world can kiss my ass".  To each his own.  The last thing on my list of things I care about is what is done to this body once I'm done with it.

It's just a Cemetary where there is no religious symbols, pull back some. 

Funerals are for the living, I have no big deal whatever my family chooses to do. It's up to them. 

My personal wishes are to just be put in the ground and an apple tree planted there to mark it. They live about fifty years, all that's needed for the people who remember me. If they want more, that's for them. 

Plus, there's all the bad apple jokes.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, and then said:

If they are wrong, they may have to be aware of it for eternity.

You realise that can be said for anyone?

• Like 5

Should help curb the Atheist in a foxhole rumour? 

When I go, I want a great BBQ happening. I want to be cremated and have my ashes put into fireworks to be let of at my wake.

I wanna die in Memphis like Elvis,
Senseless on the toilet p***ing on my own pelvis,
Helpless, choking on vodka and shellfish,
Get found by my girl like god you’re so selfish,
Well-wishers at my wake saying he’ll be well missed,
But wait till they’re well p***ed, they’ll wish me to hell with,
Everybody that I wanted to party with anyway,
Don’t care if it’s a hundred and ninety degrees centigrade

Lyrics Hilltop Hoods.

• Like 1

I would love there to be a wake of some sort. The good kind, with lots of drinking, eating, and remembering. 

Something like this. 

• Like 2

When I am dead and gone. I want my ashes to be mixed with potting soil and compost. A hole dug in the ground and a fruit bearing tree planted, then my ash-mix poured around this tree. So that in my own way I can give back to nature what I took. Symbolic immortality. That's my request. 

• Like 7

I thought a cemetery was just a cemetery. I didn't realize that almost all of them had some kind of religious overtone. Sure you see crosses, but that is tradition, not religion. Here in the US (in Oregon) most major cemeteries are public and have little religious affiliation. 

EDIT: Good thing this is Not in the US though, as someone would definately sue because banning of religious symbols would clearly be a hit on Religious freedom and Freedom of expression. Kind of smacks of "whites only" country clubs and such. Sure they allow the religious into their cemetery, but they can't be identified as such.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Something similar already exists. Not religion free, but ideal if you are not religious:

There are a few of these already and non religious people are going for this option.

Note there are no tombs or big crosses or big religious head stones:

This can be with a Humanist or Civil Celebrant taking the service, as all faiths and religions are received equally, or members of the family may wish to conduct their own personal farewell tribute.

http://www.olneygreenburial.co.uk/natural_what_green_burial.asp

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

When I am dead and gone. I want my ashes to be mixed with potting soil and compost. A hole dug in the ground and a fruit bearing tree planted, then my ash-mix poured around this tree. So that in my own way I can give back to nature what I took. Symbolic immortality. That's my request. 

In our death the best memorial to our lives is in the memories we leave to the living, not the last vanity  of elaberate memorials.  Burial doesn't matter to me, I just don't want my body poluting the environment or becoming an archeological dig of the future. A memorial is important to kin to reconcile a death but  I'm with you, a perfect memorial could be just a tree.

I asked my spouse how I'd be laid to rest if I went first and I don't care, if it's donate body to science, cremation or burial etc. I  guess I will be cremated and the ashes scattered in the wind, in a beloved lake and in a field that was that place we both called home. Sounds good to me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You can do that at the green burial grounds....it is about nature, which imo, is the most natural way one should be buried.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I thought a cemetery was just a cemetery. I didn't realize that almost all of them had some kind of religious overtone. Sure you see crosses, but that is tradition, not religion. Here in the US (in Oregon) most major cemeteries are public and have little religious affiliation. 

EDIT: Good thing this is Not in the US though, as someone would definately sue because banning of religious symbols would clearly be a hit on Religious freedom and Freedom of expression. Kind of smacks of "whites only" country clubs and such. Sure they allow the religious into their cemetery, but they can't be identified as such.

I'm not so sure what the backlash would be if this happened in the U.S.. It would probably depend to a great extent where it happened. There are currently cemeteries that are exclusively religious, even exclusively within specific religion. There are also non-denominational cemeteries too. And cemeteries that have memorial gardens and such. There are also things to consider like cemeteries are their own private entities, and very legally run themselves like HOA's in how they can control what goes in or not for grave markers.

There might be backlash and protest- but with the way cemetery laws are set up, I don't think a lawsuit would go very far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

is the most natural way one should be buried.

I can't remember where I read it at (might have been here, not sure) but there were some people who had their ashes mixed with concrete. Then made into a reef for sea life. I think this is also a valid idea. 

I want my body to be of use when I die, salvage the useful organs. Then bbq my butt and pour me in a hole, add 1 tree and let it be. I don't need a grave marker, I don't need people to mourn me, I don't care if people know my faith or lack of. I'm dead. I won't care and I currently do not care. I think people get to hung up on their image even at death.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I can't remember where I read it at (might have been here, not sure) but there were some people who had their ashes mixed with concrete. Then made into a reef for sea life. I think this is also a valid idea. 

I want my body to be of use when I die, salvage the useful organs. Then bbq my butt and pour me in a hole, add 1 tree and let it be. I don't need a grave marker, I don't need people to mourn me, I don't care if people know my faith or lack of. I'm dead. I won't care and I currently do not care. I think people get to hung up on their image even at death.

here is an idea, if you go before me,  we can pop you in the ground, I can sit on the bench and talk to your bbq`d butt.  here is a green burial ground in Olney, no fuss, no crosses, just trees and a few  benches == for butt talking.

thumb_Olney_compressed.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Yup, that is my plan.  Hopefully, family and friends do a proper Pagan send off with big fire, drumming, dancing, lots of mead, and feasting.  Dance at my funeral. 

bios3.jpg?1304680903

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 2

I think that since I acknowledge that one day I will die, it's the reason I'm a minimalist. I don't want my family to spend months going through my junk. They'll have better things to do. 

• Like 3

I will be leaving behind my boat = maybe. I just thought maybe I will ask for a big hole and just be buried in my boat, sure they can dig a big enough hole to put it.

• Like 3

I think the boat being your religious symbol would not be allowed ... I on the other hand has that delusional impression of staying around and shining brightly ...

~

Cremation Diamonds made from ashes | Cremation Jewelry | Ash ...

www.cremationsolutions.com/cremation...ashes/cremation-diamonds-made-from-ashe...
Cremation diamonds made from ashes. Cremation jewelry diamonds created from the ashes of your loved one. Cremation urn ... Cost of Cremation Diamonds ...

~

LifeGem - Ashes to Diamonds

www.lifegem.com/
LifeGem

Converts the carbon remains of deceased into diamonds as part of memorial services. Includes prices with ordering information.

~

Now its just a matter who wants to carry me perpetually on her bosom ...

:D

~

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I think the boat being your religious symbol would not be allowed ... I on the other hand has that delusional impression of staying around and shining brightly ...

~

~

Now its just a matter who wants to carry me perpetually on her bosom ...

:D

~

JEEZE the price of them, its more expensive than a funeral!! but if you are paying i would not mind the 7 stone tiffany cluster ring.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think that since I acknowledge that one day I will die, it's the reason I'm a minimalist. I don't want my family to spend months going through my junk. They'll have better things to do. 

People don't think about that when collect a lot of junk. It puts a lot of work for those left behind.   I don't keep a lot of junk, because I don't like to waste the space.  The kid across the street has dibs on the rock and crystal collection. That is about all I got that is worth saving from my point of view.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

JEEZE the price of them, its more expensive than a funeral!! but if you are paying i would not mind the 7 stone tiffany cluster ring.

pssst sell the boat ... ARGHHHHHHHH !

:P

~

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm not so sure what the backlash would be if this happened in the U.S.. It would probably depend to a great extent where it happened. There are currently cemeteries that are exclusively religious, even exclusively within specific religion. There are also non-denominational cemeteries too. And cemeteries that have memorial gardens and such. There are also things to consider like cemeteries are their own private entities, and very legally run themselves like HOA's in how they can control what goes in or not for grave markers.

There might be backlash and protest- but with the way cemetery laws are set up, I don't think a lawsuit would go very far.

Considering that there is backlash, back and forth, from ACLU lawsuits to remove crosses off public property, there is a lot of people who would be interested in both directions, I think.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/cemetery.asp

Gravestones in public cemeteries are not deemed to constitute a government endorsement of religion because they individually represent the private religious beliefs of the persons buried there, and those symbols are chosen by family members of the deceased and not the government (whereas a monument to a particular group represents all members of that group collectively with a symbol chosen by others). 

So, it would depend on if it was a private, or public cemetery. A public cemetery would be forced to allow religious symbology on gravemarkers.

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Considering that there is backlash, back and forth, from ACLU lawsuits to remove crosses off public property, there is a lot of people who would be interested in both directions, I think.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/cemetery.asp

So, it would depend on if it was a private, or public cemetery. A public cemetery would be forced to allow religious symbology on gravemarkers.

The ACLU has not attempted to have crosses removed from Federal cemeteries- they have fought other religious symbol stuff, but not grave markers in Federal cemeteries. They haven't gone after Federal cemeteries because they don't deem gravestones a government endorsement. That's a persons, or their families, personal choice in grave marker.

And there is a difference between a government cemetery, a private cemetery, and a public cemeteries. A private cemetery is privately owned and used privately by a family, or small group in the community. They can almost make up whatever rules they like within certain perimeters. A public cemetery is still privately owned but is considered public if they serve the general public- and they are reasonable with their regulations. This can be things like if upright gravestones are allowed, or only flush gravestones. If a family plot can only have a monument, or if individual markers are approved. If any plantings are allowed, or free standing objects, fake or fresh flowers... Public cemeteries really are a lot like HOA's.

Now, there are also public cemeteries that are not privately owned or held privately buy a council- there are ones that are actively held by townships, cities, counties.. I'm not sure if they would be able to get away with opening a devoid denominational cemetery. That might get sued out.

I think that if someone tried to take over an already existing cemetery and turned it into an atheist cemetery- that would cause likely cause heavy protesting and lawsuits to stop it regardless of where it was.

However, I think it would depend on where a new atheist/devoid denominational cemetery opened what the public reaction would be. It might be questionable if it's considered unreasonable or not if a new cemetery ran with "no religious icons at all" as one of their rules. But easy enough to simply skip any mentioning of any religious anything and go with different types of rules instead... Like a "you name and dates only" rule for flush grave markers. Or a "live plantings only" rule. And if it was in a high non-religion area, people probably wouldn't care or even might welcome such a cemetery. If it was in a highly religious area, people would likely protest it.

• Like 1