Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Americans managed to get fairy bread wrong

psyche101

Americans have managed to get fairy bread all wrong

N the latest instalment of “Americans finding Australians charmingly quirky,” our pals in the US of A have just discovered the wonders of fairy bread — the classic birthday party staple that delivers a sugar hit to pint-sized children through a glorious smattering of 100s and 1000s.

Or as Phoebe Hurst on Munchies explained it to our brethren overseas: “For many Australians, Fairy Bread is as synonymous with children’s birthday parties as balloons and biased pass-the-parcel games. (Give it up, Linda, we know you’re fixing the music so the birthday boy wins.)

“Why go to the effort of baking your child a real cake on their birthday when you can smear some butter on a slice of bread and tip a few coloured balls of sugar on there? Cookie cutters are sometimes used to shape the bread into hearts or stars, but no one likes a spoilt brat”.

“People from Australia have been down with multicoloured food since forever, thanks to a little treat they call ‘fairy bread,’” explains author Katherine Sacks.

She also goes on to claim that Aussies also call it “fairy toast”.

“Despite its striking appearance, in Australia, fairy bread isn’t considered fancy food — the toast is usually eaten as breakfast, as a snack in-between meals, or after dinner to finish off the meal,” she writes.

This sentence made us snigger, but then our thoughts morphed into “FAIRY BREAD FOR BREAKFAST, BLOODY GENIUS WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THAT” (Obesity crisis? What obesity crisis?)

LINK

No WONDER you guys do not like Vegemite, if you cannot get fairy bread right, of course Vegemite will just be a nightmare!!

:lol:

• Like 5

What is the traditional fairy bread like?

• Like 1

Okay, now I get it!
For some reason, I kept reading the article like Americans were making fairy bread wrong. Now I see that they only had the misconception that Australians eat fairy bread for breakfast, snacks, etc.

• Like 1

Irish guy here. We have butter and sugar sandwiches. No special name for them that I know of. I've never seen them before made with colored bits. Hats off to our Australian cousins for innovation.

All ages seem to eat the sandwiches and at any time of day. I haven't thought about them in years. I think the attraction is that they're tasty, that it takes only seconds to make, and the ingredients are basics which lots of people keep on hand.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Irish guy here. We have butter and sugar sandwiches. No special name for them that I know of. I've never seen them before made with colored bits. Hats off to our Australian cousins for innovation.

All ages seem to eat the sandwiches and at any time of day. I haven't thought about them in years. I think the attraction is that they're tasty, that it takes only seconds to make, and the ingredients are basics which lots of people keep on hand.

Well, we use the tune of an Irish drinking song as our national anthem, nicking from you lot is a pastime.

• Like 2

An interesting concept. But I shall stick with cake for birthdays 

• Like 1