Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man goes to court for right to passport smile

Still Waters

A Frenchman is fighting to overturn a ban on passport photos which show the person smiling, claiming the rule is keeping people depressed.

A citizen who French media are calling "Thierry" has gone to court to challenge the regulation.

He took up the case after his Mona Lisa-esque passport photo was rejected because it showed a "slightly ironic grimace that borders on a discreet smile", according to Le Parisien.

The man, understood to be a 40-year-old senior civil servant, has accused the French state of "abuse of power".

http://news.sky.com/story/man-goes-to-court-over-right-to-mona-lisa-passport-smile-10597993

• Like 4

then fix the scanners.  people auto. smile when getting their photos taken.

• Like 1

It's a passport Daniel, they need to be able to recognize your face with minimum effort. I think it's ridicules someone want special privilege to smile on a passport. They won't let you do it on a drivers license either. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A Frenchman is fighting to overturn a ban on passport photos which show the person smiling, claiming the rule is keeping people depressed.

A citizen who French media are calling "Thierry" has gone to court to challenge the regulation.

He took up the case after his Mona Lisa-esque passport photo was rejected because it showed a "slightly ironic grimace that borders on a discreet smile", according to Le Parisien.

The man, understood to be a 40-year-old senior civil servant, has accused the French state of "abuse of power".

http://news.sky.com/story/man-goes-to-court-over-right-to-mona-lisa-passport-smile-10597993

:-D Welcome back!

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

It's a passport Daniel, they need to be able to recognize your face with minimum effort. I think it's ridicules someone want special privilege to smile on a passport. They won't let you do it on a drivers license either. 

Being that there are cameras everywhere today, you'd think the surveillance state would try harder to recognize people's looking natural, i.e. unless they plan on outlawing smiling altogether.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Being that there are cameras everywhere today, you'd think the surveillance state would try harder to recognize people's looking natural, i.e. unless they plan on outlawing smiling altogether.

Sometimes I wonder if you cut off your phone and internet they'd freak out. We can't track so-n-so. 

Edited by XenoFish

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The last two times I had my drivers license photo taken I had to remove my eyeglasses, even though I'm required to wear them while driving.

?

• Like 1

All I know that is when you are vacation and you start looking like your passport photo it's time to go home.

• Like 2