Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Expansion of the universe 'may be constant'

UM-Bot

Personally, I'm glad to hear this. I hope they're right.

"Dark Energy" is somewhat embarrassing as a concept.

Harte

• Like 3

As I ... in the yinyang sense if there is Dark Energy it means we also gotta find Bright Energy ... and things like that just means things are bound to go real bad when people disagrees ...

~

12 minutes ago, third_eye said:

As I ... in the yinyang sense if there is Dark Energy it means we also gotta find Bright Energy ... and things like that just means things are bound to go real bad when people disagrees ...

~

Bright energy would be the energy we can see and detect, though. 

Same with dark matter, in that we can see and detect regular matter just fine. But with dark matter we can only infer from its gravitational effects.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Bright energy would be the energy we can see and detect, though. 

Same with dark matter, in that we can see and detect regular matter just fine. But with dark matter we can only infer from its gravitational effects.

You missed my point ... but its alright ... though I do wonder about energy we can see and detect ... that's a very limited range of the spectrum without the fancy machines ~

I'm wondering if it is really correct to assume that the speed of light has been constant since the birth of the universe. If we assume that it is constant while in reality it has slowed down, we will wrongly think that the expansion of the universe is accelerating while in fact it might be constant or even slowing down. I used to think that this was just an amateurish thought of mine but a few years ago I read that some Spanish scientists had written a paper with similar contents.

On 22/10/2016 at 6:37 PM, Harte said:

Harte

Did you know that Harte comes from the old English word meaning stag (male deer)?

"[...] Scientists led by Subir Sarkar of Oxford University in the UK have cast doubt on this standard cosmological concept [...] 

There is data that appears to support the idea of an accelerating universe, such as information on the cosmic microwave background - the faint afterglow of the Big Bang - from the Planck satellite. "All of these tests are indirect, carried out in the framework of an assumed model, and the cosmic microwave background is not directly affected by dark energy," said Sarkar. "So it is quite possible that we are being misled and that the apparent manifestation of dark energy is a consequence of analysing the data in an oversimplified theoretical model - one that was in fact constructed in the 1930s, long before there was any real data," he said.

"A more sophisticated theoretical framework accounting for the observation that the universe is not exactly homogeneous and that its matter content may not behave as an ideal gas - two key assumptions of standard cosmology - may well be able to account for all observations without requiring dark energy," he added. "Indeed, vacuum energy is something of which we have absolutely no understanding in fundamental theory," he said. The study is published in the journal Scientific Reports"--

Universe not dominated by dark energy?

Sun, 23 Oct 2016

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report-universe-not-dominated-by-dark-energy-2266796

:-? How can one not wonder what is initially in a vacuum of space to alter anything?

Edited by aka CAT
Perplexing afterthought

3 hours ago, smokeycat said:

Did you know that Harte comes from the old English word meaning stag (male deer)?

Of course. But not my use of it. It's an anagram for Earth.

Or, maybe I refer to Brett Harte.

Or maybe that's my actual name.

Harte

• Like 1

As far as I know, "Dark Energy" is just a term invented to explain the acceleration of the expansion.

If no acceleration, then no dark energy required.

Harte

Edited by Harte
"Reason?" You don't wanna know.

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Of course. But not my use of it. It's an anagram for Earth.

Or, maybe I refer to Brett Harte.

Or maybe that's my actual name.

Harte

Fair enough.

It's just that your profile picture has a heart animation. Although it could be a Stag's heart, a Harte's heart.  ;)

:D

Edited by smokeycat

Harte is also an anagram of heart.

Harte