Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret Nazi base discovered in the Arctic

UM-Bot

Hooray! They might find the fleet of Type XXI U-Boats that's been hidden there since 1945 yet! And with any luck their cargo of Nazi Flying Saucers! This is exciting news! 

• Like 2

Let's not forget Captain Steve Rogers and Bucky aka The Winter Soldier ...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ashyne said:

Now we just have to go find the base they hid on the Moon.

Didn't we already? 

There's even a documentary about, released a few years ago, titled "Iron Sky". 

Anyway it's actually a pretty cool find and I'm always fascinating by these stories, they stimulate your fantasy. 

• Like 1

that part about the polar bear meat being infested with parasites made me chuckle - that's lifted directly from the Val Kilmer movie "The Thaw"

BEST - Ron

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parsec said:

Didn't we already? 

There's even a documentary about, released a few years ago, titled "Iron Sky". 

Anyway it's actually a pretty cool find and I'm always fascinating by these stories, they stimulate your fantasy. 

" Documentary "  ? 

:D

• Like 1

Did they find some really old Nazis there like those Japanese holdouts in the Pacific that didn't know the war had ended. It is however quite interesting.

Strange... Just at the very end as the airplane is flying you see some fancy new looking buildings at the very bottom of the screen and yet all of this 'stuff' is laying on top of the ground insight of the buildings.

I didn't know Russians used American Shotguns?! I could swear that was a Remington 1100 slung across his shoulder

Apparently, this "secret" Nazi base has been on Wikipedia for some time - certainly preceding the discovery .......

LINK - secret” Nazi base in Alexandra Land First Discovered on Wikipedia Page

One of the biggest trending topics this weekend was the recent discovery of a “secret” Nazi base in Alexandra Land. But as one astute observer on Facebook noticed, this “secret” base has well-known to its inhabitants and pretty much everyone on the internet for years, courtesy of the Alexandra Land Wikipedia page.

User Abdul Jay re-posted the story via The Independent that went viral Friday, with the caption that read, “Secret? It’s all on the Alexandra Land Wikipedia page…Whoops! Did i just reveal some secret information from a public page!”

And indeed if you travel to the Wikipedia site you’ll notice that there is a line that reads, “During World War II the Germans established an ill-fated meteorological station on the island, called Schatzgräber. Most of the members were stricken with trichinosis after eating raw polar bear meat. The survivors were removed and the project abandoned.”

Good old Wiki hey! :lol:

On 10/25/2016 at 1:30 PM, UFOwatcher said:

Strange... Just at the very end as the airplane is flying you see some fancy new looking buildings at the very bottom of the screen and yet all of this 'stuff' is laying on top of the ground insight of the buildings.

wrong quote lol

Edited by LucidElement

On 10/25/2016 at 1:22 PM, UFOwatcher said:

Did they find some really old Nazis there like those Japanese holdouts in the Pacific that didn't know the war had ended. It is however quite interesting.

Edited by LucidElement

Just now, LucidElement said:

Now lets discover the lost pyramid of arctic 

18 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Now lets discover the lost pyramid of arctic 

Check Wikipedia first!!! ;) 

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Check Wikipedia first!!! ;) 

For what exactly?? pyramids in Antarctica?? because I said arctic, not Antarctica    

On 10/27/2016 at 3:18 AM, psyche101 said:

Apparently, this "secret" Nazi base has been on Wikipedia for some time - certainly preceding the discovery .......

LINK - secret” Nazi base in Alexandra Land First Discovered on Wikipedia Pagectly

One of the biggest trending topics this weekend was the recent discovery of a “secret” Nazi base in Alexandra Land. But as one astute observer on Facebook noticed, this “secret” base has well-known to its inhabitants and pretty much everyone on the internet for years, courtesy of the Alexandra Land Wikipedia page.

User Abdul Jay re-posted the story via The Independent that went viral Friday, with the caption that read, “Secret? It’s all on the Alexandra Land Wikipedia page…Whoops! Did i just reveal some secret information from a public page!”

And indeed if you travel to the Wikipedia site you’ll notice that there is a line that reads, “During World War II the Germans established an ill-fated meteorological station on the island, called Schatzgräber. Most of the members were stricken with trichinosis after eating raw polar bear meat. The survivors were removed and the project abandoned.”

Good old Wiki hey! :lol:

It strikes me that the "much ado about nothing" article was actually much ado about nothing. The fact that the original article included info on the base indicates it's existence was known beforehand. It's the actual site they're talking about. Either it was physically concealed previously by ice and snow or they've just never investigated it before now. Either one still amounts to a discovery. (I notice some articles say re-discover) And while it may be relatively common knowledge now, odds are good it was considered "secret" at the time. Somebody's playing jiggery pokery with words but without digging further into it, I'd say it's a tossup as to whom.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2016 at 2:00 AM, Oniomancer said:

It strikes me that the "much ado about nothing" article was actually much ado about nothing. The fact that the original article included info on the base indicates it's existence was known beforehand. It's the actual site they're talking about. Either it was physically concealed previously by ice and snow or they've just never investigated it before now. Either one still amounts to a discovery. (I notice some articles say re-discover) And while it may be relatively common knowledge now, odds are good it was considered "secret" at the time. Somebody's playing jiggery pokery with words but without digging further into it, I'd say it's a tossup as to whom.

I thought that was pretty much what the article said - the claim has some jiggery pokey (LOL cool) going on. The WIki information was backed by a source, which went back again to a 2003 book. It more says the aspects the media have cited as unknown have actually been known for some time - from the link:

The citation refers to a 2003 book published by author Dege, Wilhelm called War North of 80: The Last German Arctic Weather Station of World War II. And in fact, the “discovery” of this weather station mentions all of these facts as if they haven’t been made known to the public before Friday.

It is just downtoning the hype I thought. Great discovery sure, and I have no doubts is was secret at the time, but more like finding George Mallory's Body than Atlantis if you can pick up what I am putting down there ;) 

That's it in a nutshell. Article 2 is fussing about article 1 as if they implied the base was previously completely unknown, which if you read it is not the case.  "Discover" is a loaded word but they're both guilty of exaggeration. That polar bear stuff didn't come from out of thin air obviously. (I'd compare the find to the recent excavation work on several explorer's huts in Antarctica. They were in plain sight but what was in them was a revalation.)

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 8:06 PM, MissJatti said:

For what exactly?? pyramids in Antarctica?? because I said arctic, not Antarctica    

Wiki goes there too!! :D 

45 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

That's it in a nutshell. Article 2 is fussing about article 1 as if they implied the base was previously completely unknown, which if you read it is not the case.  "Discover" is a loaded word but they're both guilty of exaggeration. That polar bear stuff didn't come from out of thin air obviously. (I'd compare the find to the recent excavation work on several explorer's huts in Antarctica. They were in plain sight but what was in them was a revalation.)

:tu:

Yep, this one just tells us they are exaggerating, when the other seems to gloss over that a bit ....

Always good to have a wider perspective! :D