Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First photo of earth from space

Merc14

That's really awesome and also a big step for mankind... be it now or 70 years ago, the curiosity to learn the unknown never changes.

• Like 7

Having been born just a few years after the "Space Age" began, it is difficult to imagine what it was like before there were images of the Earth from space. There were maps and there were globes, but no one had seen the "real thing".

The photograph also has significance in that the soldiers you refer to were Americans, and the scientists were, in the main, German. Just a year earlier both nations were at war. I for one have always believed that the images we now have of the Earth show us all what we have to loose if ever anyone was tempted to start another world war.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I don't know...looks pretty flat to me

It is flat..............according to some:

10 reasons the Earth is actually flat

1. It sort of looks flat, doesn’t it?

Honestly, this is one of their reasons

2. It’s cheaper to fake journeys into space than it is to journey into space

And a global conspiracy has been embezzling all that money ever since the 50s

3. Satellite photos are ‘easily faked’

And the global conspiracy has been doing so for five decades.

4. ‘Day’ and ‘night’ are created by the sun orbiting in a circle above, then beneath the North Pole

The sun also moves sideways – hence winter and summer. They think of everything!

5. People who think they’ve flown round the Earth have just travelled in a big circle round the North Pole

The Earth is like a pancake, with the North Pole in the middle, see.

6. It all stays together because there’s a big ice wall round the edge

The oceans don’t spill off because there’s a wall of ice – called Antarctica. The Flat Earth society admit to being ‘curious’ as to what lies beyond this.

7. Gravity doesn’t exist

Instead, the Earth is constantly accelerating upwards, so the force of gravity is like being pushed into your seat in a car, see?

8. Earth is accelerating upwards due to ‘dark energy’

It all tallies with Einstein, the maniacs boast, as Einstein whirrs gently in his grave.

9. Photos from aeroplanes look curved because of the windows

… and satellite shots look rounded at the edge due to the ‘spotlight’ under the sun, which is only a few thousand miles up.

10. An experiment proved that a six-mile stretch of water was flat

Except it didn’t really. It was famously misread by previous Flat Earthers, who weren’t the brightest crayons in the pack

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/08/10-reasons-the-earth-is-actually-flat-4978476/#ixzz4O2KdrkaW

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/08/10-reasons-the-earth-is-actually-flat-4978476/

• Like 3

merc14, thank you for this post. I had no idea this photo existed.

Just over half a man's life time from the first aircraft, to be able to photograph the earth from space.

I read somewhere that it was the agrarian revolution that led to all industrial and technological triumphs.

Once man had secured his food source, by planting grain for himself and domesticated livestock,  he was free to think of other things...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It is flat..............according to some:

10 reasons the Earth is actually flat

1. It sort of looks flat, doesn’t it?

Honestly, this is one of their reasons

2. It’s cheaper to fake journeys into space than it is to journey into space

And a global conspiracy has been embezzling all that money ever since the 50s

3. Satellite photos are ‘easily faked’

And the global conspiracy has been doing so for five decades.

4. ‘Day’ and ‘night’ are created by the sun orbiting in a circle above, then beneath the North Pole

The sun also moves sideways – hence winter and summer. They think of everything!

5. People who think they’ve flown round the Earth have just travelled in a big circle round the North Pole

The Earth is like a pancake, with the North Pole in the middle, see.

6. It all stays together because there’s a big ice wall round the edge

The oceans don’t spill off because there’s a wall of ice – called Antarctica. The Flat Earth society admit to being ‘curious’ as to what lies beyond this.

7. Gravity doesn’t exist

Instead, the Earth is constantly accelerating upwards, so the force of gravity is like being pushed into your seat in a car, see?

8. Earth is accelerating upwards due to ‘dark energy’

It all tallies with Einstein, the maniacs boast, as Einstein whirrs gently in his grave.

9. Photos from aeroplanes look curved because of the windows

… and satellite shots look rounded at the edge due to the ‘spotlight’ under the sun, which is only a few thousand miles up.

10. An experiment proved that a six-mile stretch of water was flat

Except it didn’t really. It was famously misread by previous Flat Earthers, who weren’t the brightest crayons in the pack

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/08/10-reasons-the-earth-is-actually-flat-4978476/#ixzz4O2KdrkaW

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/08/10-reasons-the-earth-is-actually-flat-4978476/

I am well aware of this growing movement...what's most fascinating is how people that believe this are alive at the same time as the internet. All the world's information at their fingertips and they instead choose to be ignorant.

• Like 3

It is... I have been arguing with my friend all month. I try to tell her it isnt flat and explain scientifically how it has to be round to work how it does... And she brought it to my attention that all the pictures of earth from nasa are photoshopped. Once you look its blatantly obvious. I cant believe that its flat but it is true that nasa is spinning off one photoshopped picture after another. Where is a real picture of the earth? Well here it is but it looks flat indeed. Dissapointing to my case...

13 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

It is... I have been arguing with my friend all month. I try to tell her it isnt flat and explain scientifically how it has to be round to work how it does... And she brought it to my attention that all the pictures of earth from nasa are photoshopped. Once you look its blatantly obvious. I cant believe that its flat but it is true that nasa is spinning off one photoshopped picture after another. Where is a real picture of the earth? Well here it is but it looks flat indeed. Dissapointing to my case...

Skip to 2:37

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

Stop arguing with your friend and go and educate yourself instead. There are many, MANY experts in geography, astronomy, photography and other relevant fields, NONE of them believe that NASA's photo's of Earth are "blatantly photoshopped". That should tell you something.

In fact a tiny, TINY amount of critical thinking should tell you how ridiculous this statement of yours really is, as a huge number of NASA's photo's of the Earth were taken long before photoshop even existed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

You do realize this photo is from atop a V2 rocket launched in 1946, right?     WWII ended about a year before this launch and we had only learned to fly heavier-than-air craft 43 years earlier. That said, does this lookflat

Image result for spectacular nasa photos of earth from iss

• Like 6

I remember one time when my buddy and I had to take our Tomcat out and burn a couple bags of gas before the end of the fiscal year.  We were up in Canada at the time as he was getting assigned to a joint tour up there so we were out of sight, out of mind.  We decided to take the aircraft up really high (I won't admit how high, sorry) but it was pretty awesome to see the black of space on the horizon and a slight curvature to the earth.  We had to stay if first stage burner to maintain altitude as the air is so thin that high and quickly descended back to reality but cool stuff. 

Landed in Maine, picked up some lobsters at NAS Brunswick and then low leveled VFR all the way back to a lobster dinner with two Canadian ladies.   This was back in the 80's but even today all military aircrew are required to fly the airways and land in different bases to stay current so not wasting money, just taking advantage of an opportunity

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Nnicolette, please now post the best example you have of a 'blatantly photoshopped' picture that supports your friend's case.

(Mod's, I apologise for the potential derailing, but that statement can't be just allowed to stand - perhaps Nnicolette might be kind enough to start a new thread, or it could be split off?)

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3529247/Sam-fearless-space-dog-lost-action-12-miles-Earth-Hunt-toy-sent-edge-space-contact-lost-fell-ground.html

.. is really worth a click just for the first picture - a brave, brave little dog, missing but presumed alive somewhere.. but after seeing the curvature of the earth for himself!

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3529247/Sam-fearless-space-dog-lost-action-12-miles-Earth-Hunt-toy-sent-edge-space-contact-lost-fell-ground.html

.. is really worth a click just for the first picture - a brave, brave little dog, missing but presumed alive somewhere.. but after seeing the curvature of the earth for himself!

It certainly was worth the click ChrLzs - what an endearing story. And how beautiful does the curvature of the earth look from Sams point of view....lets hope they eventually find him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

I don't quite understand Nnicolette. You mention that you have been arguing with your friend all month by trying to scientifically explain to her why the earth is round

Then in the next breath - you suspect NASA of spinning off pictures that have been photoshopped (because of your friend) and then you want to see a real picture of earth.

Do you mind sharing how you scientifically explained to your friend ie; why the world is round and why it works as it does ?

I am really curious about that.

• Like 3

OMG- really? Have you ever wondered how a drop of water in space zero gravity forms into a perfectly flat plane??? Or what the heck keeps ISS up there in orbit.

People have known for a very long time that the Earth isn't flat - a boat disappearing over the horizon being a big clue. And then philosopher/scientists such as Aristotle and Eratosthenes came up with various methods to prove the case. I think Terry Pratchett has done more to (inadvertently) add to the "Flat Earthers" case than any one in centuries!    

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Stop arguing with your friend and go and educate yourself instead. There are many, MANY experts in geography, astronomy, photography and other relevant fields, NONE of them believe that NASA's photo's of Earth are "blatantly photoshopped". That should tell you something.

In fact a tiny, TINY amount of critical thinking should tell you how ridiculous this statement of yours really is, as a huge number of NASA's photo's of the Earth were taken long before photoshop even existed.

Thats funny because i didn't realize it until i saw the interviews with the people who made the images. Why don't you educate yourself and if you dont believe me try finding a picture of the earth that isnt edited. Not one that shows a slight curvature from the sky but something like the famous blue marble picture, only not edited.

And thanks waspie but i really dont need you to tell me what or what not to discuss with my friend. You might be a moderator here but your bitter attitude is a little out of hand and acting like it makes you more intelligent than everyone else is a bit contradictory and short-sighted. All it ever does is show off how brainwashed you are to accept whatever your "superiors" tell you and never figure anything out for yourself.

I on the other hand am more than happy to listen to her silly theories and explain through scientific means why it isnt plausible, as all humans should take the time to do if they are wise enough to care about the education and advancement of the human species, rather than the belittlement of it just to stroke my own ego and search for a means of superiority. Perhaps you should educate yourself as to why this is important. Especially being in a position as you are to encourage the love of science and discovery rather than spending all you time trying to dismantle the interest of learning in those who you mistakenly believe yourself superior to.

Edited by Nnicolette

9 hours ago, Astra. said:

I don't quite understand Nnicolette. You mention that you have been arguing with your friend all month by trying to scientifically explain to her why the earth is round

Then in the next breath - you suspect NASA of spinning off pictures that have been photoshopped (because of your friend) and then you want to see a real picture of earth.

Do you mind sharing how you scientifically explained to your friend ie; why the world is round and why it works as it does ?

I am really curious about that.

I dont suspect it... They plainly stated it. I saw the process of all the images and editing they overlaid to create the totally artificial images. I dont understand why you think i would have to believe that hogwash about the earth being flat to see that the images are edited. 

And i dont really want to desceibe every detail again but if you must know i had to explain that we are indeed spinning because they seem to think the sun is going in circles above us which is a little obviously flawed considering that it only moves in one direction across the sky. Not to mention the other obvious things like theres no edge... You travel around it and can see the curvature from the sky but i guess shes never been on a plane. Plus things like the seasons and tilt. They seem to think that the sun isnt so big or far away or the seasons wouldnt vary in temperature so much. Mostly silly basic stuff like that. They dont believe in gravity for one... I explained why we dont feel the spin because she thinks we should be dizzy but i guess the main problem is that they dont comprehend quit how big the earth is compared to a persons vantagepoint.

Many of us old folks have books dating back from the Apollo missions - almost half a century ago! The images of the Earth in those books haven't been photoshopped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

And i dont really want to desceibe every detail again but if you must know i had to explain that we are indeed spinning because they seem to think the sun is going in circles above us which is a little obviously flawed considering that it only moves in one direction across the sky. 

If you are above the arctic circle - or below the antarctic circle - in the summer the sun does go round in a circle, without dipping below the horizon. It is a fascinating site, and I recommend everyone should see it! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Thats funny because i didn't realize it until i saw the interviews with the people who made the images.

No, it's not funny.  You are accusing people of deliberate fraud, rather than aesthetic post processing.  You need to back that up rather than handwave.

Why don't you educate yourself and if you dont believe me try finding a picture of the earth that isnt edited.

From the moment the light rays hit the front glass of the camera, they are being 'edited', so even a raw image, completely unprocessed, can be said to be edited.  But that is, obviously a ridiculous position to take.  Further, if an image is too dark or too light, or has a defect like a scratch or some hot/dead pixels, why would one not edit it?  The only reason this would be a problem is if there is deliberate falsification of content.

That is clearly your claim, and you need to back it up.  It's YOUR claim.  YOU need to back it up.  Right now you are running away from YOUR words.

If you do not post an example of fraudulent representation by NASA (preferably relevant to the thread), then I think we are entilted to call you a liar.  I'd prefer not to do that, so CITE your claims.  That's what a moral person would do.  That's what a person who was genuinely debating would do.

Not one that shows a slight curvature from the sky but something like the famous blue marble picture, only not edited.

Here you go, Nnicolette:

as17-148-22727.jpg
(Use this link if it doesn't come up full size - http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/apollo/apollo17/hires/as17-148-22727.jpg
That is one of the very first scans of that image, unprocessed, from well before Photoshop days, and I can provide full provenance and ways you can verify that.  You can begin to see the film grains, which would make any subsequent photoshop work easy to spot.  It shows some tiny defects and a scratch or two (you'll need to look very, very hard to find them),and do feel free to throw any fake detection techniques at it.  Just remember that some of us know what we are talking about, before you make any further silly claims...  There are later, higher resolution scans that show even more detail - would you like me to supply a whole pile more?  For reference, the image is NASA ref AS17-148-22727, and was taken on December 7, 1972, by the crew of Apollo 17.You can of course easily verify this sort of stuff by just looking at the myriads of weather satellite pictures that are generated by almost every major country of the world, or by sticking a camera onto a helium balloon.... 

Edited by ChrLzs
to fix embedding
  • Like 4

Clair had a great link describing the post-processing necessary when taking photos in space but I can't find it now.  Maybe Clair will post it again.

• Like 2