Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Robots Must Learn to Tell Us “No”

Claire.

Why Robots Must Learn to Tell Us “No”

HAL 9000, the sentient computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey, offers an ominous glimpse of a future in which machines endowed with artificial intelligence reject human authority. After taking control of a spacecraft and killing most of the crew, HAL responds to a returning astronaut’s order to open the ship’s pod bay door in an eerily calm voice: “I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.” In the recent science-fiction thriller Ex Machina, the seductive humanoid Ava tricks a hapless young man into helping her destroy her creator, Nathan. Her machinations lend credence to Nathan’s dark prediction: “One day the AIs are going to look back on us the same way we look at fossil skeletons on the plains of Africa. An upright ape living in dust with crude language and tools, all set for extinction.”

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 4

Interesting, I hadn't thought of all that. Autonomous robots scare me, thought I've written about them. In one story they try to take over the world but are eventually defeated, in another robots do exterminate all biological slime (us), but end up destroying themselves in the same ways we humans could. Another is about a robot private detective. 

\But I can see how they could be deceived into destructive or malicious behavior. Robots scare me.

• Like 3

Hullo .. I am your best friend ...

~

~

• Like 3