Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Every Keystroke Is Recorded

Zalmoxis

Windows also records your voice and the images you save or upload. You can turn it off but can you really trust that the software isn't recording you? I say it's unsettling that everything you do is that closely examined.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/603524/Windows-10-Microsoft-Key-Logger-Record-Privacy/amp

Microsoft can track every word you type, or say out loud, while using its latest operating system,Windows 10.

Windows 10, which unites the Microsoft ecosystem across a host of devices including smartphones, tablet and desktops PC, first rolled out back in July.

The Microsoft OS saw huge adoption within the first few hours of its release – but the free upgrade process has not been without issues.

Users have reported agonisingly slow boot-up speeds, wifi issues and problems with child safety features following the jump to Windows 10.

The news comes days after it was revealedMicrosoft was working on a major update for its latest operating system, which featured a visual refresh.

Now a keylogger has reportedly been discovered within the latest Microsoft operating system.

The Redmond firm included the software, which tracks every keystroke made on the Windows 10 device, to try and improve its products and services.

Voice data is also collected and analysed every time virtual assistant Cortana is used on the desktop operating system.

It was thought that Microsoft would only include the key logger within the Technical Preview versions of the operating system, so that it could use the vast data supplied by beta testers to tweak the final release.

However the slightly creepy software has now been included in the commercial version of Windows 10, PC World has confirmed.

Explaining the role of the spyware in its FAQ, Microsoft writes: "When you interact with your Windows device by speaking, writing (handwriting), or typing, Microsoft collects speech, inking, and typing information—including information about your Calendar and People (also known as contacts)…”

Fortunately, Windows 10 users can switch off the key logging.

Simply navigate to the Start Menu, then tapSettings.

Privacy is in the third row of the Settings window.

Once you are in the Privacy menu, tap on General, then under Send Microsoft info about how I write to help use improve typing and writing in the future – toggle the setting to Off.

Then, under the Speech, Inking and Typing menu, which is located four rows beneath General – clickStop getting to know me.

This will turn off the speech tracking through dictation and Cortana.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ew. So glad I turned off my updates on my computer.

• Like 1

How do we know Windows can't just switch it back on? 

• Like 2

It seems to be more pervasive as technology progresses. A friend sent me a text message and a photo of an RITC travel cup she had purchased. A few hours later,  an ad shows up on Facebook for RITC. Another time I was at an airport and saw a sign for Norwegian Airlines. I said to my friends, "I didn't know there was a 'Norwegian Airlines'. Within the hour, an ad for Norwegian Airlines showed up on Facebook. Maybe both times it was just coincidence, but those 'coincidences' seem to be happening more often.

• Like 2

I know when I search for things online, ads for them show up all over, but it's not exclusive to Facebook by any stretch of the imagination. I have found, though, that on Facebook and with any ads generated by Google, you do have the option of saying, "Hey I already bought this or am no longer interested." Adsense doesn't seem to care.

• Like 1

I'm literally purchasing a copy of windows 7 to make sure I DO NOT UPDATE. xp and 7 > vista, windows 8, 10 etc