Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think I'm offically an atheist now..

spartan max2

I see where you are coming from.  I am Pagan.  I worship nature.  But, IMO our energy goes on.  Where it goes we do not know.  

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I was agnostic for a long time. I really felt there was some kind of afterlife. 

I just can't resonably believe that anymore. A creator seems to be not compatible with evolution. I went with the idea of intellgence design for a while but looking around it seems a lot of things were unintelligently designed. Like why design smallpox? Or schizophrenia?

It just makes me sad to finally say and come to the realization I won't see my freind again and when people die they are compeltly gone.

I'm sorry to be a downer today, I'm normally not but this sucks 

Whatever belief you desire to hold, temper it with reason and logic. I'm pretty much an indifferent agnostic (apatheist) I don't know and don't care if god exist. So I understand you plight. I went from being a believer to agnostic to what I am now. You are not alone. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I just can't resonably believe that anymore. A creator seems to be not compatible with evolution. I went with the idea of intellgence design for a while but looking around it seems a lot of things were unintelligently designed. Like why design smallpox? Or schizophrenia?

It just makes me sad to finally say and come to the realization I won't see my freind again and when people die they are compeltly gone.

Be what you have to be. For me, I see absolutely no evidence of a creator god type thing.  But the mortal and concerned part of me hopes that if I die someday, my consciousness will somehow, someway carry on in some reasonably acceptable fashion.  Maybe I'll get to Valhalla, that would be great--drinking and eating and slaying giants and having a merry old time.  Maybe I'll sneak into that member's only club called heaven.  Meh, I just don't want all this to end until I want it to end.

• Like 7

When I look at me, I see a mind. When I look at you, I see a body whose processes are indistinguishable from those I see in the world at large. So if I conclude that there is no world-Mind because there's no material evidence of it, I pretty much have to conclude 'you' don't exist, either.

So, do you or don't you?  :D

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

If you believe in infinite multiverses, then you will live/have lived infinite lives and choose infinite choices.  You will be with your friends infinite times and do infinite things with them.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

It's the direction I lean with my Atheism.

• Like 4

I don't believe in anything that I haven't seen or that has no solid proof of existence, of course It's always nice to say that my late loved ones are now the shiniest stars I see at night watching over me, and when I die I will go to them but that's just a fantasy to relieve my pain.. when in fact I know that there's no such way of proving what really happens in the afterlife.

We all have this wonderful feature called imagination, so you can go as far as you feel like inside your head and nobody can stop you from daydreaming and from thinking whatever you want to think.

As for a creator, my opinion is that nature is what comes closer to a "creator", as It brought us various elements such as air, fire, water, earth, energy, etc.

Edited by Marsquake
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I just can't resonably believe that anymore. A creator seems to be not compatible with evolution. I went with the idea of intelligence design for a while but looking around it seems a lot of things were unintelligently designed. Like why design smallpox? Or schizophrenia?

No, you won't 'see' your friend again if they died .   But that does not mean you wont 'see' them nor ever relate to them again, indeed, it is not impossible that you may even become closer to them.

The human mind, belief systems, senses, 'reality' ,  perceptions ,  are  amazing things and can work (and be utilized )  in all sorts of ways .... especially when one suffers grief .  

Or... one can tell  them (and one's self ) that they are 'figments of the imagination'  ...... that just p***es them off and makes them go away . 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, back to earth said:

No, you won't 'see' your friend again if they died .   But that does not mean you wont 'see' them nor ever relate to them again, indeed, it is not impossible that you may even become closer to them.

:huh:

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

I see where you are coming from.  I am Pagan.  I worship nature.  But, IMO our energy goes on.  Where it goes we do not know.  

it goes back to earth     :)   

When I die, I go back to earth

and become earth and stone

and tree and plant 

and animal

and more people. 

I become the earth and support my children

and live with my ancestors . 

It never really dies

it just goes on from form to form.

we are people that came out of the earth

and that is where we go

when we die . 

Do not see this a fact or a truth

just see it as a poem

an old mans story 

Image result for bill neidjie

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Marsquake said:

I don't believe in anything that I haven't seen or that has no solid proof of existence, of course It's always nice to say that my late loved ones are now the shiniest stars I see at night watching over me, and when I die I will go to them but that's just a fantasy to relieve my pain.. when in fact I know that there's no such way of proving what really happens in the afterlife.

We all have this wonderful feature called imagination, so you can go as far as you feel like inside your head and nobody can stop you from daydreaming and from thinking whatever you want to think.

As for a creator, my opinion is that nature is what comes closer to a "creator", as It brought us various elements such as air, fire, water, earth, energy, etc.

I just wanted to 'double like' this 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Whatever belief you desire to hold, temper it with reason and logic. I'm pretty much an indifferent agnostic (apatheist) I don't know and don't care if god exist. So I understand you plight. I went from being a believer to agnostic to what I am now. You are not alone. 

I've been an apatheist for decades. In my early twenties I toyed with religion until I realized I wouldn't conduct my life differently whether I was religious or not. I'm a decent person and I treat people fairly.

Also, God and I have an apparent agreement. He doesn't care about me, and I don't care about him.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Be what you have to be. For me, I see absolutely no evidence of a creator god type thing.  But the mortal and concerned part of me hopes that if I die someday, my consciousness will somehow, someway carry on in some reasonably acceptable fashion.  Maybe I'll get to Valhalla, that would be great--drinking and eating and slaying giants and having a merry old time.  Maybe I'll sneak into that member's only club called heaven.  Meh, I just don't want all this to end until I want it to end.

That's a good honest answer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

It's not a downer, actually it's quite liberating for your mind.

We all die. If we make the most of the days we have with the ones we love while we're alive, we win. :)

• Like 4

Think of religion as a filter which allows you to have a finite perception of life. By removing that filter you can see more with an open mind.

• Like 4

Indeed Xeno !    A telescope or a microscope  is good for looking at   ' one thing'     close up  , but not the' big picture' .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I really felt there was some kind of afterlife. 

This is a matter where your own intuitions should be trusted more than blow-hards here or anywhere else. If they really knew the answer to this , they would not be giving an answer in the negative, that would make them just idle guessers, because there is no conceivable way to settle the question in the negative, is there ?

• Like 1

Just now, back to earth said:

Indeed Xeno !    A telescope or a microscope  is good for looking at   ' one thing'     close up  , but not the' big picture' .

I now choose to not even look. For those that do, all the power to them. To them it's apparently serving a purpose.

• Like 1

Two bits, organisten-smiley.gif?1292867648

When I was growing up it seemed strict, same with school and church,
which I would imagine we could care less about but went anyway and oddly we
didn't exactly dislike nuns but they were not our favorites so to speak.
Oh I should mention we are a German family, not that they are always strict or whatever.
I imagine most all of us received this message, I was told something to the effect of:
regarding cults(LOOK IT UP! snot nose) never be a zealot, never delve too deeply
or deep down in to any rabbit hole or anything for that matter ... well- unless its mathematics.
Be all ears and listen for details but never loose your intuition or your intuitive skepticism/questioning things
because a duck is a duck and a cow is a cow or something like that.  And naturally all of us kids kind of
thought the adults were really strange with their sayings, little did we know for after
we grew up *bing* lightbulb, *bing!* lightbulb aaahaA!
, wow I wish we would have recorded all those old phrases like "she's a pill"
and now you know what my father's nickname for me was tee-hee.

As far as magic, nope, can't recall too much if anything on that.

MAGIC
E8jkY_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=popke

N O  !    majic ... dear dear , simply won't due ... Maggie Smith Witch
Q0GyV_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=direc

GAWD reminds me of the nuns..

Edited by MWoo7
Always i before e except after "C" ( or maybe just a few hundred other words ). received<< edit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

That's a good honest answer.

You know me, blowhard and loudmouthed AND honest to the very end.

• Like 3

Just now, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

You know me, blowhard and loudmouthed AND honest to the very end.

I just had to like that.

• Like 2

Ooops - wrong thread.

Edited by Astra.

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't feel sad that the end, it could really literally be the end. What could be more peaceful that non existence? The opposite (eternity of existence) would surely get a bit boring.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Horta said:

I don't feel sad that the end, it could really literally be the end. What could be more peaceful that non existence? The opposite (eternity of existence) would surely get a bit boring.

More assumptions. The dead may simply be, "outside time".