Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can dogs and cats be left-handed ?

UM-Bot

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Big Jim

• alibongo

• MissJatti

Popular Days

Since all mammals have their brains divided into two hemispheres (all higher animals, quite likely), one side will be dominant.

• Like 1

The question implies an assumption of right-handedness so why can't the opposite be true? 

I heard somewhere here in UM, that a snail can!! I think??

I was told that with dogs paw preference is usually about 50/50. My dog Ringo is right pawed, he will always offer his right paw when asked to 'shake'.

Yes, just like humans, dogs and cats can either be right handed or left handed and there's also a small percentage that are ambidextrous.. It's around 50% being right handed, 10% are ambidextrous and 40% are left handed. In order to find out what is your pet's paw preference you have to do a few tests in order to check the trends.

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

I was told that with dogs paw preference is usually about 50/50. My dog Ringo is right pawed, he will always offer his right paw when asked to 'shake'.

I have one dog who is right pawed and the other one is left pawed when he shakes hands or played with things so I know dogs and other animals as well are righties or lefties just like people.