Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Psychology Behind Cosplay

Claire.

Getting in Character: The Psychology Behind Cosplay

With Halloween just around the corner, everyone seems to have costumes on their minds. People who typically wear jeans and T-shirts are suddenly eyeing colorful spandex, capes, wigs and corsets, and are opening their wallets to acquire an outfit that will present them to the world as someone — or something — they're not. But for people who cosplay — dress in costumes to role-play characters from movies, TV shows, books, comics and video games — the challenge of transformation is one they happily accept at various times year-round.

Cosplayers can invest considerable time, money and effort into crafting or commissioning head-to-toe presentations that are one-of-a-kind. Some creations include enormous accessories, facial or body prosthetics, working electronics or complex mechanical parts. Other costumes limit how well the wearers can see or move, making it difficult for them to sit, or navigate a room, without help.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 4

You know who I'll be dressing as this year!

Image result for donald trump angry face

• Like 3

I'd like to know the psychology behind the cosplayers themselves.

4d4.jpg

Edited by Marsquake
  • Like 1

Dressing up for Halloween is just a cute little tradition here in the US.  Going to a masquerade ball requires a bit of costume as well.  Re-enactors dress up the part to play the part.

Cosplayers...some I just don't get (good example is the pic posted above--if I see people like this at a convention, I avoid them and treat them as if they had the plague).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

Image result for worst cosplay everImage result for worst cosplay everImage result for worst cosplay ever

Words.  I don't have them...

Oh, wait, yes I do: egads, don't show those pics ever again.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 2

yup...

some stuff just can't be unseen...

• Like 1

Cosplay where some people dress up in fantastical costumes. And some in almost nothing.

I get it to a degree... escapism. It just impresses me that some people will go out in those costumes. 

• Like 1

Poor examples in the extreme sense doesn't really reflect the influence Cosplay has on the cultural aspects of the younger generation today ... some are actually making a good living as Professional Cosplay Idols ...

The 20 Hottest Female Cosplayers To Watch In 2015 - TheRichest

www.therichest.com/rich-list/.../the-20-hottest-female-cosplayers-to-watch-in-2015/
Jan 12, 2015 - The word “cosplay” comes from the terms “costume” and “play”. It has, in recent years, become the center of some controversy with accusations ...

~

The 10 Hottest Cosplay Girls In North America - WGRD

wgrd.com/the-10-hottest-cosplay-girls-in-north-america/
WGRD‑FM

Sep 28, 2012 - The following 10 girls are the 10 hottest cosplay girls in North America. And I mean hottest in every sense of the word! They consistently have ...

~

The World's 16 Best Male Cosplayers - TheRichest

www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-popular/the-worlds-14-best-male-cosplayers/

Jan 17, 2015 - Best of all, many of these men are collaborating with their fellow .... Captain Cosplay is a professional cosplay artist who specializes in one ...

~

The males have a harder time at it mostly because of the Anime characters are kinda not quite there as a popular platform for Cosplayers ... and heck ... truth be told very few has got what it takes to make it as one ... more often the girls do the male characters much better than the boys too as the Anime 'metro male' stylized characters doesn't really gives most boys today a fair chance at it ... but when they get it right the boys are not merely idolized but might as well be Godlike ...

:lol:

~

• Like 1

Cosplay is a fact of life at conventions. I do a lot of gaming, so I go to a lot of conventions, and therefore I see a lot of cosplay. I don't really understand it, but then again may people don't understand why I spend so many hours painting tiny metal miniatures. Live and let live, I figure.

Other than those anime cosplayers who have no sense of personal boundaries. Those ones can die in a car fire.

• Like 1