Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Libertarian VP says pick Clinton over Trump

Gromdor

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/10/25/bill-weld-isnt-endorsing-hillary-clinton-but-he-really-doesnt-want-you-to-vote-for-donald-trump

Basically, Libertarian VP candidate Bill Weld is saying if you don't vote Libertarian then vote Clinton! 

What blows my mind is usually you're not supposed to try to convince people to vote for an opponent during an election even if you are losing.  Granted every Libertarian knows that their vote is more than likely going to be a protest vote at this time- given the odds.   But still, there is a long shot chance of winning with enough enthusiasm.

• Like 1

I'm voting libertarian, but I sure as hell don't agree with him.  Hillary is the worst possible choice for the USA and the world.  She is the best choice for criminal bankers and nationless corporations. and Bill Weld must be a moron.

• Like 2

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/10/25/celebrities-of-all-types-are-fanning-out-for-clinton

Robert Deniro and the celebrity brigade are also pro-Hillary. Good ol', "blue collar Deniro" watching clips of the elections with his feet up on his suede ottoman, smoking expensive cigars.

Spoiler

F.A.G.

Posting again for relevance:

....I really hate celebrities.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/10/25/bill-weld-isnt-endorsing-hillary-clinton-but-he-really-doesnt-want-you-to-vote-for-donald-trump

Basically, Libertarian VP candidate Bill Weld is saying if you don't vote Libertarian then vote Clinton! 

What blows my mind is usually you're not supposed to try to convince people to vote for an opponent during an election even if you are losing.  Granted every Libertarian knows that their vote is more than likely going to be a protest vote at this time- given the odds.   But still, there is a long shot chance of winning with enough enthusiasm.

Not trying to derail the thread, I just noticed that celebrity endorsement link while checking out your link

I think that's a realistic statement from the guy. Trump is way farther away from Libertarianism than Clinton, I believe, thought I don't know as much as I should about the Libertarian Party platform.

• Like 2

Just now, StarMountainKid said:

I think that's a realistic statement from the guy. Trump is way farther away from Libertarianism than Clinton, I believe, thought I don't know as much as I should about the Libertarian Party platform.

I think that is what the guy is trying to say.  And actually he's been saying it for quite a while.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not trying to derail the thread, I just noticed that celebrity endorsement link while checking out your link

Well it is the city of Boston, I'm sure they have all kinds of silly links.  Bill Weld is governor over there, so they tend to talk to him more in general. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

You don't know anything about the libertarian party if you believe what you just said.

• Like 5

Bill Weld is the furthest thing from a moron, and his career is more than evidence of that. His comments about Trump are backed by evidence from Trump himself, and anyone following Trump would have to agree that Weld's observations are based on more than just a one time occurrence with Trump; they are based on a very public pattern of behavior that is both consistent and constant, and there for everyone to see. Indeed, the entire world has witnessed Trump become unhinged time and time again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Both Clinton and Trump are pretty authoritarian in their stated policies.  It's what surprised me about Weld.

How is Trump authoritarian when it comes to civil liberties? I mean sure he's no Ron Paul, but hey, who is? Certainly not the two clowns running the libertarian party right now. Its like people just speak to hear themselves.

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Well it is the city of Boston, I'm sure they have all kinds of silly links.  Bill Weld is governor over there, so they tend to talk to him more in general. 

Weld is a former Governor of Massachusetts. He was a Republican at the time.

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

You don't know anything about the libertarian party if you believe what you just said.

Probably not. I'll do some research.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clair said:

Weld is a former Governor of Massachusetts. He was a Republican at the time.

My bad.

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

How is Trump authoritarian when it comes to civil liberties? I mean sure he's no Ron Paul, but hey, who is? Certainly not the two clowns running the libertarian party right now. Its like people just speak to hear themselves.

Stop and Frisk, suing into submission anyone who speaks against him, his admiration of authoritarian leaders, barring entire religions from entering the US,  etc.  He is the "Law and Order" candidate after all, which runs counter to the "Freedom and Anarchy" that the extreme Libertarians embrace.

• Like 1

The libertarian platform pretty much supports open borders so this dosent suprise me. Just listen to Johnson talk about immigration.

I don't think clinton or trump are close to libertarian. It just depends on which of there policies you look at. They are authoritarian in diffrent ways

12 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

My bad.

Stop and Frisk, suing into submission anyone who speaks against him, his admiration of authoritarian leaders, barring entire religions from entering the US,  etc.  He is the "Law and Order" candidate after all, which runs counter to the "Freedom and Anarchy" that the extreme Libertarians embrace.

Stop and frisk? That's the only one that peaked my interest. The others sound like something outta CNN. I gotta look into it

I guess extreme libertarians aren't libertarians at all. They are anarchists.

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The libertarian platform pretty much supports open borders so this dosent suprise me. Just listen to Johnson talk about immigration.

I don't think clinton or trump are close to libertarian. It just depends on which of there policies you look at. They are authoritarian in diffrent ways

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Stop and frisk? That's the only one that peaked my interest. The others sound like something outta CNN. I gotta look into it

I guess extreme libertarians aren't libertarians at all. They are anarchists.

Despite what Gary Johnson says about borders and illegal immigration the truth about Libertarians in their purest form is that they are constitutionalists (not anarchists) who believe in limited federal powers.  This is why I consider myself a libertarian.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Despite what Gary Johnson says about borders and illegal immigration the truth about Libertarians in their purest form is that they are constitutionalists (not anarchists) who believe in limited federal powers.  This is why I consider myself a libertarian.

This I can agree with. I consider myself a Ron Paul type libertarian. I would have loved it if his son had shown some passion, he's the only other guy who I actually believed when he spoke. Maybe he would have been the guy out front right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kurzweil said:

I'd vote librarian but I have way too many overdue books.

:lol::lol:

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I agree with this statement.

But, just so we're clear, this is what Johnsons' take on immigration is.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Gary_Johnson_Immigration.htm

A lot of those policies I do agree with.

His stance on refugees has more caveats

https://www.isidewith.com/candidate-guide/gary-johnson/foreign-policy/syrian-refugees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

Probably not. I'll do some research.

You can easily find stuff online about it, but much of it is kinda dry.

I suggest this book by John Stossel   "GIVE ME A BREAK"

https://www.amazon.com/Give-Me-Break-Exposed-Hucksters/dp/0060529156

It was more or less my first introduction to Libertarianism.   It doesn't spell it out directly, but, basically, it's just John Stossel relating stories and how a common sense approach to things he's discussing.  Especially with limited government, free speech, and the free market.

• Like 2

It's the Libertarian free market that scares me. Allowing the giant corporations and robber bairns loose, as well as the stock market manipulators. Lassez-faire capitalism, the abolition of the welfare state, abolishing the IRS, exit from NATO, the ability to opt out of Social Security to depend on charities, loosening minimum wage laws, ending the U.S. public school system, free market health care system without government oversight, regulation and licensing, the repeal of Medicare and Medicaid, ...

. We should eliminate the entire social welfare system. This includes eliminating food stamps, subsidized housing, and all the rest. Individuals who are unable to fully support themselves and their families through the job market must, once again, learn to rely on supportive family, church, community, or private charity to bridge the gap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_(United_States)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kurzweil said:

I'd vote librarian but I have way too many overdue books.

I'd vote Iberian, but Ive never been to Spain.

• Like 3