Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Libertarian VP says pick Clinton over Trump

Gromdor

2 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

It's the Libertarian free market that scares me. Allowing the giant corporations and robber bairns loose, as well as the stock market manipulators. Lassez-faire capitalism, the abolition of the welfare state, abolishing the IRS, exit from NATO, the ability to opt out of Social Security to depend on charities, loosening minimum wage laws, ending the U.S. public school system, free market health care system without government oversight, regulation and licensing, the repeal of Medicare and Medicaid, ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_(United_States)

True, most of those are solid planks in the platform, and those are in the purest sense of the party.  But I think the most promising Libertarians understand that Laissez-faire capitialism is an ideal, but not a reality.  Obviously, rules need to still be in place for the robber barons and stock manipulators.  I suppose a 'moderate' libertarian would make more sense.

There are some schools of thought that say that a true libertarian government, with it's limited involvement, could never allow a monopoly to form.  Most monopolies only become so because of government protection (think of power companies).  

Anyhow, it's certainly not a perfect form of governing, but it has so much to offer for people like myself who feel that fiscal conservatism, common sense, and social liberalism are major concerns.  

There are things that would be hard to swallow for people in the general population.  Legalizing drugs, or prostitution, for instance, would immediately turn people off.  I understand that.   That's why I think a slow progression towards true libertarianism is probably the right way.

In my view, the purpose of government is to enable its citizens to have opportunities to lead a sensible life. To make sure everyone has an education, access to health care, a job that pays a reasonable wage, to support those who are challenged in various ways, to assure everyone has the various freedoms and respect. In other words, not to allow the country to become a third-world nation.

It seems to me that Libertarianism intends to chuck all of that. Every person for themselves. If you can't make it, you're tossed aside.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

In my view, the purpose of government is to enable its citizens to have opportunities to lead a sensible life. To make sure everyone has an education, access to health care, a job that pays a reasonable wage, to support those who are challenged in various ways, to assure everyone has the various freedoms and respect. In other words, not to allow the country to become a third-world nation.

It seems to me that Libertarianism intends to chuck all of that. Every person for themselves. If you can't make it, you're tossed aside.

Yep, you are much more liberally leaning than what Libertarian offers.  Nothing wrong with that at all!  I just think Government is there to protect us, oversee basic needs and regulations, (such as anti-discrimination or equal access) provide a justice system, establish some base line rules, then get the heck out of the way and let Americans pursue their ideal of happiness.

The dangers of Libertarianism at the extremes are just like you mention, that people fall through the cracks.  There is a LOT of trust in society from that form of government.  

However, I see the dangers of Liberalism at the extremes are complete government control or interference in every single aspect of our lives.  A nanny state.  

• Like 1