Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tangled Up in Spacetime

Claire.

Tangled Up in Spacetime

“All the world’s a stage…,” Shakespeare wrote, and physicists tend to think that way, too. Space seems like a backdrop to the action of forces and fields that inhabit it but space itself is not made of anything—or is it? Lately scientists have begun to question this conventional thinking and speculate that space—and its extension according to general relativity, spacetime—is actually composed of tiny chunks of information.

These chunks might interact to create spacetime and give rise to its properties, such as the concept that curvature in spacetime causes gravity. If so, the idea might not just explain spacetime but might help physicists achieve a long-sought goal: a quantum theory of gravity that can merge general relativity and quantum mechanics, the two grand theories of the universe that tend not to get along. Lately the excitement of this possibility has engrossed hundreds of physicists who have been meeting every three months or so under the banner of a project dubbed “It from Qubit.”

Read more: Scientific American

Edited by Clair
Fixed source url.
  • Like 4

Great article.  Thanks, Clair.  This proves me on target in a few intense debates here.  I've maintained that string theory yet holds much promise for my believing the brane multiverse, of hypothesized parallel universes, most likely and, thus, likeliest to soonest be proven.  

What is particularly interesting to me about that in connection with It from Quibit (IfQ)?                                               While I don't automatically assume branes collide,  I do intuit alternate timelines discriminately linked to such parallel universes as opposed to their continuously branching out according to the many-worlds interpretation.  

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2